VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 260 of 1021, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Created a VM for my dad on his iPhone X. Using the UTM app, I created a Ubuntu Server 32bit 16.04 (Xenial Xerus) VM that allowed him to run a webserver for his project, with all the bells and whistles (apache, php, mysql...) and he's pretty happy now. He can just SSH into the phone on his iPad Pro 1st gen (the 1st gen iPad Pro is too weak to run the VM, anyway) using the iSH app. From there, he can pretty much develop all his work now. Pretty sure I am a good son now 😀

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 261 of 1021, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Making physical copies of PC games that have no physical release. CAD$50 for the printer, CAD$21.99 for three sets of ink tanks from it, CAD$46 for gloss inkjet printable 25GB BD Discs. Kinda fun.

IMG_20200428_124417.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200428_124417.jpg
File size
1.81 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20200428_124620.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200428_124620.jpg
File size
1.21 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 262 of 1021, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Fujoshi-hime wrote on 2020-04-28, 16:54:

Making physical copies of PC games that have no physical release. CAD$50 for the printer, CAD$21.99 for three sets of ink tanks from it, CAD$46 for gloss inkjet printable 25GB BD Discs. Kinda fun.

Not the first time I've said I like your style. Keep up the good work!

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 263 of 1021, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally got my Gotek floppy emulator flashed with FlashFloppy for my Amiga. I went through several hours of hell and frustration trying to get it to flash. Tried numerous programmers, numerous cables, different power sources, different OS, different computers, etc. It turned out both my desktop and laptop already had some STM32 drivers installed for my quadcopter flight controllers. Removed the old driver (betaflight, cleanflight supplied drivers) and installed the new/recommended one and it worked. I hate issues like that. Now I'm guessing this will cause my flight controller software to not link up to my quadcopters, so I'll probably have to revert back again. 🤣

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 264 of 1021, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Purchased two new onboard speakers to replace the damaged ones on my 2013 rMBP 13-inch. Should arrive this week, and I will replace them by myself, shouldn't be too much difficult.

I also need to replace the keyboard since the function keys do not work (F1 to F9, but F10 to F12 works) but seeing the guide, it's too much hassle and too much difficult, high risk of damage if not done by a Pro. I am just fine using an app called Karabiner to remap them. I do not use them that much to justify the investment. So far it's a great machine to work on (4th gen Intel i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB Apple SSD) and I haven't even used 10% of the storage yet.

Next I need to buy new BT keyboard and mouse, since at home I work with an external monitor (40") and leaving it in clamshell mode.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 265 of 1021, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

HDMI needs to die in a fire the fusion core of the sun, and everybody on its design committee needs to be banned from engineering for 1000 years. Why the hell did we have to get saddled with this idiotic standard on all kinds of equipment because Joe Yokel thinks it's how you should connect a "cable box" to a "TV" to watch "sports"?

If we're not gonna go all-in on DisplayPort (which is FREE TO IMPLIMENT, unlike HDMI, which has a huge licensing fee associated with it), can we just have DVI back? Or VGA?

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:Ɑ >:Ɑ >:Ɑ

Sorry for the content-free rant. Actually no, I'm not sorry.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 266 of 1021, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote on 2020-05-03, 21:18:
HDMI needs to die in a fire the fusion core of the sun, and everybody on its design committee needs to be banned from engineerin […]
Show full quote

HDMI needs to die in a fire the fusion core of the sun, and everybody on its design committee needs to be banned from engineering for 1000 years. Why the hell did we have to get saddled with this idiotic standard on all kinds of equipment because Joe Yokel thinks it's how you should connect a "cable box" to a "TV" to watch "sports"?

If we're not gonna go all-in on DisplayPort (which is FREE TO IMPLIMENT, unlike HDMI, which has a huge licensing fee associated with it), can we just have DVI back? Or VGA?

😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 >:Ɑ >:Ɑ >:Ɑ

Sorry for the content-free rant. Actually no, I'm not sorry.

I’d actually push for DP too. Some macs we have here actually have better resolutions through DP than HDMI.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 267 of 1021, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought the one on top (the rest were mine already) 😀

GPUs.jpg
Filename
GPUs.jpg
File size
528.87 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
GPGPU.jpg
Filename
GPGPU.jpg
File size
660.11 KiB
Views
File license

157143230295.png

Reply 268 of 1021, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Note to self: Never, never, never ever, use an external hard disk to store your virtual machines.
My 1TB Seagate HDD is suffering right now. Let's see if I can salvage all the data possible...

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 270 of 1021, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2020-05-09, 03:37:

Do internal HDDs not die also?

They do, but I use a SSD, just the external was a HDD. I had to redownload a lot of things that I could not save and relocate into my Apple Time Capsule, that has never failed on me in 10 years. I will probably lose two VMs. At least I saved the W3.11 and W98

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 271 of 1021, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Installed MorphOS on my dirt cheap 1.25GHz Mac Mini G4 that I got from eBay the other day. Works great. I have 512MB of RAM in it now, but I have a 1GB DIMM on the way - thought I had some 1GB sticks left, but apparently I used them all in my Athlon builds. After that's installed, I'll do the 1.5GHz overclock hardware mod. This thing sucks to take apart.. already did it once, and it feels like you're breaking it to pry out the motherboard base from the aluminum case. 🤣 One of the worst designs I've ever worked with on a SFF computer.

Thinking about doing a custom paint job or wrap, somewhat Amiga oriented.

qUpOdkd.jpg

My Github

Reply 272 of 1021, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heat is an issue if the external drive is in a case.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 273 of 1021, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-05-09, 21:53:

Heat is an issue if the external drive is in a case.

That seems to be the problem here. I am on home office since mid March. I had set up my rMBP hooked to my TV, and plugged my 1TB external HDD on my mac to store my work and personal data, backup, etc. I've since then left it plugged in there, and while I wasn't using the mac (rare cases actually) I just put the rMBP to sleep. It didn't help also the fact that I was running all my VMs from there.

The external hdd was quite hot recently these days, and I figured it out last night when it lost responsiveness and speed. It's almost winter here, and this was a quite cold week, so I didn't notice the heat.

I had that problem twice, first it went kaput when I had a non related issue when it was formatted as ext4 so I could use it on both Windows and Mac at work. I formatted as HFS+, and restored all data from my TC backup. Then it went kaput again last night. Now it's formatted as APFS for mac only (I almost never used it at work with a Windows PC anyway) and copied all data on it again from TC.

This time I will not leave it plugged in, just get it whenever I need to store something. The VMs will run from my Mac's 1TB SSD . TBH I don't know why I wasn't using all that space - I was used to store less data on it because my previous mac was a MBAir 11" with 128GB flash. Bad habits, I suppose.

If the external drive fails on me again, and the dollar exchange helps me (US$ 1 = R$ 5,80 brazilian reais, not really helping me) I will just buy a 480GB SSD from SanDisk, to replace it since I am not even using half of it currently.

Another night of good sleep lost.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 274 of 1021, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As I was casually browsing through Device Manager today, I noticed that there was an Nvidia USB 3.1 and Type-C controller listed there. Thinking no wai, I took a peek behind my PC and, sure enough, there was a USB-C port on my graphics card! I didn't even notice that port when I installed the thing a few months ago. Or maybe I did and just thought it was a mini DisplayPort.

So I plugged in a hard drive and in no time flat, I was happily blasting bits across the universal serial bus...via my graphics card! How cool is that. It kind of reminds me of those old sound cards that had Firewire ports on them. 😀

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 275 of 1021, by AmiSapphire

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ordered an MCS-48 adapter for my Willem programmers (yes, I own two of them). Also...

So, the NAS locked up not long after browsing through it for a PDF (I only found out when Sis wanted some non-CD game music rip that I forgot to add to the server and I attempted to transfer it to the NAS). Went to the box itself to press the power button . Nothing (expected shutdown sequence). Pressed the reset button, and all was fine for now. Probably software related, because nothing seemed odd with my HDDs, but here's a recent screenshot of the main Seagate 40GB EIDE drive:

the-tb-empire.local_-_Diagnostics_Information_S.M.A.R.T._-_2020-05-17_02.36.03.png
Filename
the-tb-empire.local_-_Diagnostics_Information_S.M.A.R.T._-_2020-05-17_02.36.03.png
File size
304.36 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Yes, >90k power-on-hours! I should probably get a disk-on-module for this custom NAS someday.

Would be interesting if the drive somehow reaches 110k hours like that one Newegg review regarding a Western Digital WD800BB hard drive.

*WD800BB, not WD800JB as earlier.

Site update: cwcyrix.duckdns.org -> cwcyrix.nsupdate.info due to the former no longer working.

Reply 276 of 1021, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Getting my $69 Windows 7 gaming build started.

So far..
- Asus Maximus VIII Gene ($39 ebay, open box new)
- Intel i5 6500 (scrapped at work out of a Dell)
- 8GB (2x4GB) Samsung DDR4-2133 (scrapped at work out of a Dell)
- 256GB Samsung PM871 M.2 SSD (scrapped at work out of a Dell laptop)
- Coolermaster Hyper 212 Black ($30)

I have a free Rosewill case I got for Christmas, and my old GTX 980 from several years back I have to find so I can put it in there. I might have a EVGA 650w or 750w power supply laying around somewhere too, if I can find that.

Later on I'll put some nicer RAM and a 6700k in this PC if I can come across good deals.

529ve7ih.jpg

Last edited by wiretap on 2020-05-21, 10:31. Edited 1 time in total.

My Github

Reply 277 of 1021, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure if making this is modern or retro activity, but she's 3dfx Voodoo Graphics compatible anyway

Attachments

• sailormoonredrawed.jpg
    Filename
    sailormoonredrawed.jpg
    File size
    57.49 KiB
    Views
    File license

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 278 of 1021, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Fujoshi-hime wrote on 2020-04-28, 16:54:

IMG_20200428_124417.jpg

IMG_20200428_124620.jpg

This is the Lord's work. Have you made any other posts or videos documenting your process? Fantastic.

As for myself, I got an external 4TB HDD which I'm now using to install all 30 of my games onto my PS4. Interestingly enough Evil Within (part 1) actually had a physical manual (and I'm not talking just an insert showing the controls). I have yet to see another game of this generation that still had a manual -- outside of special Limited Run releases.

Reply 279 of 1021, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2020-05-20, 12:26:
Getting my $69 Windows 7 gaming build started. […]
Show full quote

Getting my $69 Windows 7 gaming build started.

So far..
- Asus Maximus VIII Gene ($39 ebay, open box new)
- Intel i5 6500 (scrapped at work out of a Dell)
- 8GB (2x4GB) Samsung DDR4-2133 (scrapped at work out of a Dell)
- 256GB Samsung PM871 M.2 SSD (scrapped at work out of a Dell laptop)
- Coolermaster Hyper 212 Black ($30)

I have a free Rosewill case I got for Christmas, and my old GTX 980 from several years back I have to find so I can put it in there. I might have a EVGA 650w or 750w power supply laying around somewhere too, if I can find that.

Later on I'll put some nicer RAM and a 6700k in this PC if I can come across good deals.

https://imgur.com/529ve7ih.jpg

Continuation.. yay, it works. A friend gave me a ROG Front Base he never used in his build years back, so now I can put it to good use. It looks pretty awesome. I love front bay devices. This cheap Rosewill case is only temporary -- my goal is to put this in a Silverstone TJ08 case. The side panel won't fit on this case with the Coolermaster 212 CPU cooler since it is too tall. 🤣

o1vPHp3h.jpg

My Github