VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 39, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
konc wrote on 2020-04-30, 09:00:

old OS for retro use: get an image with nothing but the drivers installed, for when I screw it up installing dozens of things
modern OS: not much these days, I guess installing my preferred audio/video players and browser extensions is a must for me

It was a thing with dual boot Linux machines way back when drive space was more precious. You need pagefile.sys to be on a fat32 partition and use the same file for both OSes.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 21 of 39, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 98:
Disable the task scheduler thing. That's about it.
Do Phil's Easy DOS mode set up.

XP and 7:
Remove a bunch of start menu links like Default Programs and the Search box. Enable "all task bar notifications icons showing at all time"
Disable UAC

10:

Run Netplwiz and untick "require password OK log in"
Disable/hide the cortana search bar
Disable the task view button
Uninstall apps like candy crush and Skype.
Change the Quick Access to open up as My Computer not quick access
Remove a bunch of quick access folders I don't need to quickly access.
Stop quick access adding "favourite" folders itself
Change folders on the left hand side of start menu to have personal, downloads, settings etc not pictures and music etc.
Uninstall the apps that have by now dkwnloaded and installed themselves like Candy Farm Saga or something
Set background to a solid colour.

I'm sure there is more faffing with Windows 10 that I am missing...

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 22 of 39, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows XP: Switch start menu to classic, patch uxtheme and replace Luna theme with Watercolor Lite theme (as clean as classic, but a lot like the old Whistler look):
e3GeDTWtYswvXWuLNGMl3SPQni_ZC7BxOXtN7E-u1GNC--_Hd30fUEViWr4UwAg4vfA2O2mlljG18vuAah_ATfQH_3afU70PeXzgM5a9Tg

Then install some old raine32 build or FBA 😀

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 23 of 39, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I almost forgot...
- On every system installed: forget about windows explorer and install Total Commander.
- On most systems: install an old version of PDF Creator (1.73 or so).
- On Windows 7 or more recent systems: remove XPS printer, check the "optional features" installed (I'm spaniard, I don't know if is called that on english systems).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 26 of 39, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xcomcmdr wrote on 2020-05-05, 14:58:

It wasn't advice, it's just what I do. I've never seen Windows 7 UAC pop up except when I have been installing (or making changes) something myself in the 10 years I've used Windows 7, and I've never seen it identify anything suspicious (i.e. wrong time of an install or weird publisher name). Now W7 is relegated to project PC purposes which usually get re purposed or reformatted within a month, I'll continue to take the risk. The risk is low and the reward (not being annoyed) it moderate.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 27 of 39, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Install drivers followed by game stores like steam, gog, epic games.
Run all C++ Redist setup files and install .NET Framework 3.5
Install Chrome, K Lite Codec Pack, WinRAR
Update Store apps

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 28 of 39, by kitten.may.cry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I couldn't find a "New User" thread to say hi, but hey...

The first thing I do after installing 7 or XP, is probably...disabling WinSAT, and Windows Update.

You blink once, the "boys" will 😁 up all the available memory, trashing the system beyond recoverable!

Reply 29 of 39, by doogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

drivers/software installation - mostly handled by RIS on Windows 2000 and XP, or MDT + Group Policy on Windows 10. The overhead of running Active Directory Domain Services these days kind of sucks, but it's worth it not having to remember and then go flip a bunch of settings just to get the OS out of the way.

Biannual-ish task - catch up on the new group policies added in the current Win10 release, and make sure to disable all of the newest adware crap.

I keep trying to want to like OS X (edit: macOS, sorry) for Docker and Kubernetes development, but it just slows me down; and it's always in some simple task like moving files around. With WSL2 on Windows right around the corner I think it just makes sense to load that up, get a good terminal emulator and call it a day.

Reply 30 of 39, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2020-04-30, 22:49:

Disable UAC

I have to agree, it can become very annoying when you are frequently (un)installing software. To be fair, it is a good defense mechanism against unwanted events (e.g. malware), especially for those who aren't PROs behind a keyboard. But for those who know what they are doing, it is a compromise worth taking. If something ever goes wrong, I know to blame myself for letting that application run in that day.

I prefer to have complete control over my entire machine. Besides, I mess up the Windows install with something else anyways. A long time has passed since I had to reinstall Windows due to a virus.

Reply 31 of 39, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On Vista it's hard to live with UAC, because it's all or nothing - if on, it will prompt you for everything. Any small change in Windows settings. It's annoying. Since Win7 when they introduced more levels, it's become reasonable.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 32 of 39, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote on 2020-04-30, 07:58:

I do (3) and (4) on your list. Moving the pagefile to a different partition doesn't really serve a purpose; you have to use a different physical drive for it to have the desired effect. Also, you need to have some pagefile on C: (maybe a small one) to save crash dumps (if you care).

I knew, but I still do that on the same physical drive anyway; at least it helps to reduce pagefile fragmentation.

Also, I always use fixed-size pagefile to keep it from growing up on the fly.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 33 of 39, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In addition to installing drivers (obviously), here's what else I do for each OS install:
All Windows Versions: Tick "show all hidden files" and untick "hide known file extensions" in folder options, and install Firefox/similar legacy forks (if I intend on going online)
Windows 95: Turn on DMA for all drives, install USB supplements (if the computer has USB), rloew's USB mass storage drivers (if I intend on using my flash drives), and Plus! 95.
Windows 98: Turn on DMA for all drives, install NUSB33E (if I intend on using my flash drives), 3D Pinball (from Plus! 95), DirectX 8.1 (if my video drivers require it), WMP7.1, and IE5.5/6.
Windows ME: Disable System Restore, install DirectX 8.1 (if my video drivers require it), update WMP7.0 to 7.1/9, and IE5.5 to 5.5SP2/6.
Windows 2000: Install Service Pack 4, DirectX 8.1 (if my video drivers require it), WMP7.1/9, and IE6.
Windows XP: Install Service Pack 3 (if the computer's powerful enough), copy over the WMP skins/visualizations from RTM, patch uxtheme.dll, and install some of my favorite themes (including Royale Noir, Watercolor, Embedded, and Longhorn themes).
Windows Vista: Play InkBall and Purble Palace.
Windows 7: Install some updates (if I intend on going online).
Windows 8.1: Disconnect from the internet before installing (to avoid setting up an MS account) and install Classic Shell.
Windows 10 (non-LTSC): Reformat the hard drive and install Linux or 10 LTSC.
Windows 10 LTSC: Disconnect from the internet before installing (to avoid setting up an MS account, disable all telemetry, and install Open Shell.

Reply 34 of 39, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All Windows : Show Hidden Files & Extensions of Known Types. (Don't know why MS thought hiding these was a good idea.)

Newer Windows : Explorer -> Show files in LIST view

Win9x : Install Microsoft Plus!. Set up my favourite Desktop Theme.

Newer Windows (XP, 7) : Install MUNT. (A must for me. Can't live without MT-32. 😉). Followed by D-Fend Reloaded.

Install CoolSoft VirtualMIDI synth and set-up GM/GS-like SoundFonts.

Install Daemon Tools for running all my CD games already in ISO/CUE-BIN formats.

Listen to canyon.mid file.

In Linux :
1. Download and setup compile/build environment for:
2. Download source for MUNT and enjoy compiling and setting up MUNT with the CM-32L roms.
3. Download source for Timidity++ and compile and setup for getting ready with the GM-compatible SoundFonts.
4. Download source for Dosbox-Staging-Git, compile and setup the conf file ready to run dosbox. (using SDL2 eliminates many problems the 0.74 is riddled with)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 35 of 39, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I install drivers. 🤷🏻‍♂️

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 36 of 39, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Classic Shell is now called Open Shell. To any one is wondering. But what about installing the latest Firefox , that your system supports ? Unless you prefer another browser of course.

Reply 37 of 39, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote on 2020-07-03, 14:45:

Classic Shell is now called Open Shell. To any one is wondering.

Yep. The original Classic Shell, updated last in December 2017, is still available, and should be OK for older operating systems; but Open Shell may be better for keeping track of ongoing changes in Windows 10.

WolverineDK wrote on 2020-07-03, 14:45:

But what about installing the latest Firefox , that your system supports ? Unless you prefer another browser of course.

I used to be a Firefox user for many years, then when I got disappointed with their frequent direction changes, tried some of the forks that tried to maintain the spirit of classic Firefox - Pale Moon and Basilisk. Eventually gave up on them due to unexplained slowdown issues and modern web starting to break here and there, and the feeling that they are constantly trying to catch a bus that's speeding away from them. Now I use Flashpeak Slimjet on most of my systems. On those too old to support that, I use old Firefox versions.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 38 of 39, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

- install a text file editor that shows line numbers and does some coloring for code
- install a proper file manager (Windows:Total Commander, macOS: ForkLift)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper