VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am unsuccessful in running this game in Windows 10. I am using the retail CD and the game crashes when it attempts to load menu on D3D or Glide mode. Software mode worked fine. For Glide and D3D, dgVoodoo and nGlide were displayed in game settings. I installed the 1.1 and 2.0 patch but they removed WinNT support so it is a no go. What shall I do to make it run?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 2 of 10, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It will run on Linux via wine, or in windows 10 with nglide however you may need a fixed exe as the game uses safedisc copy protection which isn't compatible with windows 10, the gog version is has this already removed and iirc uses nglide by default.

Working on windows 10 with retail disc, needed: fixed exe's for carma2.exe carma2_SW.exe and carma2_HW.exe, n a registry tweak, should come with the fix.

Tested with dgvoodoo2 both direct3d and glide, also with nglide, all good there.

The game will play with no sound for some reason, to fix this, rename "carma2_hw.exe" to anything else and then use this to launch the game, no idea why that fixes the sound but it works.

Enjoy 😁

Reply 3 of 10, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
synrgy87 wrote on 2020-05-05, 17:27:
It will run on Linux via wine, or in windows 10 with nglide however you may need a fixed exe as the game uses safedisc copy prot […]
Show full quote

It will run on Linux via wine, or in windows 10 with nglide however you may need a fixed exe as the game uses safedisc copy protection which isn't compatible with windows 10, the gog version is has this already removed and iirc uses nglide by default.

Working on windows 10 with retail disc, needed: fixed exe's for carma2.exe carma2_SW.exe and carma2_HW.exe, n a registry tweak, should come with the fix.

Tested with dgvoodoo2 both direct3d and glide, also with nglide, all good there.

The game will play with no sound for some reason, to fix this, rename "carma2_hw.exe" to anything else and then use this to launch the game, no idea why that fixes the sound but it works.

Enjoy 😁

I therefore downloaded anothe carma2 copy from archive.org and that worked. I then compared 2 and saw te one which worked was newer. And the one which didn't had some files different and missing, but the games would work on winxp. Did developers make multiple versions of it??

And for the one you said for videos they worked fine but pcgaming also daid videos won't work, moreover i didn't even require registry fixes in any way. Its too confusing

Most confusing is, the 2 cd version and gog have different readme with different dates

Reply 4 of 10, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm guessing there must have been multiple releases also different regions, videos work fine for me too no issues there, I'm using a re-release from "sold out software" budget game re-release brand the games were normally updated or included patches for their releases.

Archive.org version that works may be newer release or already have the copy protection stripped from it.

Reply 5 of 10, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe an update for Win10 included a bogus compatibility fix for the game. Just install MS ACT if don't already have it and look for a Carmageddon 2 profile in the Applications List and disable it, if there are sound-related compatibility flags assigned on it.

Reply 6 of 10, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
synrgy87 wrote on 2020-05-05, 20:07:

I'm guessing there must have been multiple releases also different regions, videos work fine for me too no issues there, I'm using a re-release from "sold out software" budget game re-release brand the games were normally updated or included patches for their releases.

Archive.org version that works may be newer release or already have the copy protection stripped from it.

the sold out software v2.5 didnt work for me. There was one which had the executable updated to v2.0 which didnt support Windows NT, that worked for me after using the Windows XP patch for the game.

Reply 7 of 10, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2020-05-06, 00:30:

Maybe an update for Win10 included a bogus compatibility fix for the game. Just install MS ACT if don't already have it and look for a Carmageddon 2 profile in the Applications List and disable it, if there are sound-related compatibility flags assigned on it.

I'll look into that next time i boot into windows, that would make sense.

the sold out software v2.5 didnt work for me. There was one which had the executable updated to v2.0 which didnt support Windows NT, that worked for me after using the Windows XP patch for the game.

Ha, that's weird, gotta love old game weirdness, there may also have been more than one release via sold out software, a single release and a combo release with TDR 2000(version i have).
I didn't apply any patches at all, just the copy protection fix. Tested it for way too long though, fun game.

Reply 8 of 10, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2020-05-05, 15:50:

The easiest way would be using the GoG version. Try also limiting the emulated card's memory on dgvoodoo.

that didn't work in this game

Reply 9 of 10, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
synrgy87 wrote on 2020-05-06, 07:52:
I'll look into that next time i boot into windows, that would make sense. […]
Show full quote
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2020-05-06, 00:30:

I'll look into that next time i boot into windows, that would make sense.

Ha, that's weird, gotta love old game weirdness, there may also have been more than one release via sold out software, a single release and a combo release with TDR 2000(version i have).
I didn't apply any patches at all, just the copy protection fix. Tested it for way too long though, fun game.

How did the readme.txt file looked like:

************************************************************* […]
Show full quote

C A R M A G E D D O N I I
C A R P O C A L Y P S E N O W

IMPORTANT LAST MINUTE INFORMATION
Sold Out Software Readme V.2.5 ENGLISH

**NOTE**

For further help and information please refer to the Sold
Out HelpBox, which is on the Sold Out Installer. To open
the HelpBox, click on the <?> icon on the left-hand side
of the Sold Out installers screen.

Contained in this 'Readme' file:

1. Sold-Out Software quick reference guide
2. About Acrobat Reader.
3. Instructions for installing the software.
4. Instructions for loading the software.
5. Last Minute Information & FAQ's
6. Troubleshooting.

OR THIS

Carmageddon 2 - Carpocalypse Now ReadMe

PLEASE READ

This document contains valuable information about running Carmageddon 2 - Carpocalypse Now
on your PC hardware. It also contains the latest information about the game, information
that is not contained in the manual, and the most up to date trouble shooting guide.

1. SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

2. DIRECTX6

3. GAME LAUNCHER

4. GRAPHICS MENU OPTIONS

5. NETGAME OPTIONS MENU

6. EXTRA IN-GAME CONTROLS

7. MISSION TIPS

8. TROUBLESHOOTING

9. KNOWN PROBLEMS

10. QA REPORT ON D3D SUPPORT AND PERFORMANCE

11. TECHNICAL SUPPORT

Reply 10 of 10, by Xanarki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah Carma2 had numerous re-releases, and even more complicated when separated by region, too.

Check out the numerous files here (the Superpatch V3 is the ideal download, it combines GOG, SCI, and fan-made fixes, but I think you'll need a wrapper ofc): https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/pc-files