VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 54, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

Those color coding stickers for the jacks in the Creative Audigy 2 ZS. By the time I realized what they were for, they were gone. Ever since I've been having to struggle trying to figure out which of the golden jacks is for what cable every time I have to unplug and replug something.

Always thought that was stupid. Luckily I found mine and stuck it on as soon as I got it. Doesn't do much good though seeing as the colours are on only one side and can get covered by the case somewhat. Hard to see. At this point I've just memorized which one is which 🤣.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 41 of 54, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you talking about the ones above the jack ports? I just looked up a picture of the card, that would be annoying

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 42 of 54, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiger433 wrote:

Years ago I have much problems with that board, I can`t even install windows, I tested memory, and was good, but 98 was hanging at beginning of install, when I tried install XP I haved BSODs often. I tried that on two processors, Duron 900 and Athlon 950. Also I haved ABIT KT7 but that board has problems with capacitors and also that board I gived someone. And I really loved ABIT TX7 board, I used it with P133 and Voodoo2 and 64 Mb of RAM and even Unreal Tournament was very smooth there, only Blood 2 little slowing. Someday I recreate that machine.

If you ever do start working with an A7V133 again (or the earlier A7V, which was limited to 100MHz FSB, but is otherwise mostly similar to A7V133), feel free to let me know as I've had problems exactly like the one you're mentioning here and there are a few tricks that can really help with stability 😀.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 43 of 54, by lafoxxx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
  • OEM Windows 95 installation CD and certificate of authencity (with serial) that came with Compaq Presario 5528 computer. I still own some other CDs from the box, and they work despite having visible scratches.
  • Acer mini-tower PC with OEM Slot 1 motherboard, 600 MHz Pentium III processor and Gigabyte GA-660 Plus (Riva TNT) card. This computer was inferior to my Pentium III in almost all ways. I still own some HDD screws (with washers -- how cool is that) from it.
  • Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16 AWE32 sound card (no memory chips, and not sure if it was working at all)
  • Beautiful early 2000s full-tower case with elegant monolithic front panel (with its own CD tray and eject button) and Epox Pentium 4 board. By just looking at it you could imagine how good that computer was. I still have a HDD from it -- 40 GB Seagate Barracuda with SeaShield protector. Its jumper had a plastic tip so you could easily remove it.
  • Sony CPD-200ES monitor (I still have a floppy disk and VGA cable)

and...

• ASUS GeForce 256 DDR 32MB GPU (round "COOLER" fan, VGA only version). Only later I found out it was superior to popular GeForce2 MX card I owned. I mean really, you could play Half-Life 2 on it (with at least Pentium 4, of course)!

Yeah, I know. "But that was like ten years ago!!1"

Last edited by lafoxxx on 2020-05-09, 14:04. Edited 26 times in total.

Reply 46 of 54, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got rid of a 17” and 19” Iiyama trinitron CRT because I had moved to TFTs and they were too large and heavy to keep around at the time (I was a student at the time). Surely regret it now, my current CRT isn’t nearly as good as they were.

Reply 48 of 54, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm in the market for a dedicated DOS gaming PC, and looking at the prices out there (esp. considering I am in Japan), I really wish I held onto my first PC—a 386SX-16. A little slow, but perfectly viable for the kinds of games I play (RPGs mostly). I remember playing Gold Box games, Ultima VI, Wing Commander, and Ultima Underworld without too much problem, but of course Ultima VII was a slideshow on it haha.

Reply 49 of 54, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I sold all my Pentium Pro configs for like $5 about 10 years ago because I didn't really care about socket 8 systems and wanted to save space ASAP to make room for 386s.
Now that I'm interested in socket 8 it costs a fortune compared to much older systems.
Also my old, broken, yellowed amber hercules monitor. I could repair it now because I know it only had a deflection circuit malfunction.

Reply 50 of 54, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Miphee wrote on 2020-05-08, 08:07:

Now that I'm interested in socket 8 it costs a fortune compared to much older systems.

you can thank the unscrupulous gold-scrappers for that 😒

Reply 51 of 54, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2020-05-08, 10:11:

you can thank the unscrupulous gold-scrappers for that 😒

And my short-sightedness.
A similar thing is happening with the s478, s468 and s939 systems now (not the gold-scrapping), they are given away everywhere because people won't even pay $5 to get one. Dumpsters almost always have a s478 system here every week. I already have like 50 of those boards now that I have plenty of space to store them.
I'm not interested in them at the moment but won't make the same mistake twice.

Reply 52 of 54, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Let's see.. I'm a natural hoarder but I have dumped stuff I came to regret.

When my parents got me my Amiga 500 in 1990 my Atari 800XL was donated to my cousin. They later discarded it so I lost my first computer forever, along with a casette drive and around 100 tapes.
Around 1996-1998 I discarded a lot of original Amiga gems because I was now a PC elite and I didn't need most of my Amiga stuff anymore. Fuck you, teenager me.
Between 1998 and 2002 I have managed to misplace the entire game contents of a Creative Multimedia Upgrade Box which was 20+ games on 10+ CDs and included things like Rebel Assault, Return to Zork, Sim City 2000, Ultima VII, etc.
Around 2002 I discarded around 200 floppy disks because who would ever need them, right?
At around the same time I discarded original boxed copies of MS-DOS 6.0, Windows 3.1 and MS Works 2.0
Around 2004 I discarded a Sega Game Gear I had since 1990-something, possibly 1994, because it wouldn't turn on and I figured it was not salvageable. I was a dumbfuck.

I haven't really thrown out much since I wisened up around 2006 or thereabouts, though.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 53 of 54, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apple Quadra 605, a Pentium II box I built with an Abit BX6r2, 256MB of RAM, a TNT m64 and 10GB HDD (Win98), and my Pentium 166MMX with 64MB of RAM, a Permedia2 and a 4GB HDD (NT4). I mean, I miss them all, but would I want them in my apartment/flat now? Hell no. Probably donate to a Vogon...

Reply 54 of 54, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are 3 things I regret having thrown out over the years:

1 - A Commodore 1084 Monitor
2 - Hercules Game Theater XP
3 - Random assortment of game boxes. Luckily after only getting rid of a dozen or so my girlfriend saw what i was doing and talked some sense into me and stopped me from getting rid of more. I still tossed the ones I had broken down because I thought they weren't cool in any way, but I ended up rebuying these years later...

That's all I can remember...