VOGONS

Reply 401 of 929, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you FreddyV for new release.All the S3Ms I've tried played well !

Is XM support mature enough to report bugs ? I'm asking because for one module - Pools of Poison by Jeroen Tell (Wave) I got "UMB mem corrupted" error ?
I've tested it on my 286 as well as on 486 and DosBox. Does it meen that file is too big ? (it is exactly 700'000 bytes long).
Other module by this composer - Mountain Breeze can be loaded and played without any problems.
BTW. I consider this the best module I've heard (so far). Maybe because I grown with C64 and Jeroen Tell is also master on C64 scene...

Attachments

• IMG_0455.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0455.jpg
    File size
    79.42 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 402 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matze79 wrote on 2020-04-30, 11:09:
Works fine, […]
Show full quote

Works fine,

extended my Tandy Prototype by DAC IC, so finally it now plays also MOD files 😉
maybe it would be a nice Idea to make a Card with 8Bit FIFO, DAC and do a IRQ Driven Version.

protos.jpg

EDIT:
There is a Bug in Custom DAC, if i set to 3BC it will show 268h

Reply 403 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matze79 wrote on 2020-04-30, 11:09:
Works fine, […]
Show full quote

Works fine,

extended my Tandy Prototype by DAC IC, so finally it now plays also MOD files 😉
maybe it would be a nice Idea to make a Card with 8Bit FIFO, DAC and do a IRQ Driven Version.

protos.jpg

EDIT:
There is a Bug in Custom DAC, if i set to 3BC it will show 268h

Hi,

I checked the code rapidly the code for the DAC Port, the code is written to support only upper case letters.

Otherwise we laready discussed this, it can be excellent to have a COVOX With a FIFO, like the Disney sound source with a programmable frequency.

If somebody can do it, the Video I did with the Tandy 1000 HX playing a 8 Channel module at -KHz can be possible at 10.
It is probably not worth the effort anyway.

Reply 404 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DevanWolf wrote on 2020-05-02, 23:14:

Are you also going to support the special AMM file format found in PlatinumPlay?
Refer to CONV.EXE and AMM.DOC in: http://oocities.org/soho/2994/pp32src.zip

Hi,

Thanks for your comment.

Strange, I never heard about this player before.

This is a MOD/S3M Player internal format, there is surely no music originally made for it, as there is no tracker.

Why should I support a format used by no tracker ?

Reply 405 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote on 2020-05-02, 20:58:

Feature request: Can we maybe has Reality Adlib Tracker playback as well? The tracker comes with player sources, so I would figure it should be simple-ish to integrate, especially since S3M Adlib support is also back? (haven't tested that one yet)

I think Yes, I was wondering what Adlib based tracker is worth to be added, this depends on the number of music done for it and their quality.

I believe that integrating the player code will be more simple and even shorter than doing a loader/Converter, and the replay will be perfect.
I can try both... Loader and Direct player code.
RAD player code will surely be shorter than .MON 😀

By the Way, MobyGamer, did you use a shorter / Assembly version of the MON player in the demo ? It can be better to add this in Mod Master rather than the full .PAS code

Reply 406 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zyga64 wrote on 2020-05-03, 18:53:

Thank you FreddyV for new release.All the S3Ms I've tried played well !

Is XM support mature enough to report bugs ?

Hi,

Thanks for this test, I did not know this musician, I downloaded some of his songs.
I will try to check this.

On what kind of machine did you try it ?

Reply 407 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Code is in progress for .RAD, and more 😀 (As I am in Adlib Replay)

I selected the option to use the RAD Player source code, it is REALLY short, It will be bigger to do a loader to the Mod Master internal format.
The problem will be that I will not be able to display the partition for the moment.

I will also need volunteer to test OPL2LPT / OPL3LPT support, or probably Sercado can send me one 😀 I already purchased lot of stuff to them 😀

Root42 will be able to play Adlib musics for his live 😉
Why not doing a MOD Master dedicated live with me ?

Reply 408 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FreddyV wrote on 2020-05-06, 11:45:
Code is in progress for .RAD, and more :) (As I am in Adlib Replay) […]
Show full quote

Code is in progress for .RAD, and more 😀 (As I am in Adlib Replay)

I selected the option to use the RAD Player source code, it is REALLY short, It will be bigger to do a loader to the Mod Master internal format.
The problem will be that I will not be able to display the partition for the moment.

I will also need volunteer to test OPL2LPT / OPL3LPT support, or probably Sercado can send me one 😀 I already purchased lot of stuff to them 😀

Root42 will be able to play Adlib musics for his live 😉
Why not doing a MOD Master dedicated live with me ?

Sure, why not. I figured out the kinks with the live stream. Feel free to PM me. We should find a spot in the next weeks. My schedule is not fully booked yet. 😉

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 410 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FreddyV wrote on 2020-05-07, 15:17:

Reality Adlib Tracker replay is working.
Now I have to code more so that some display occurs during the replay and to do Fast Forward/Rewind/Pause

Very cool! I guess the data structure for the patterns is different from ModMaster's. How are you going to solve that? Different display routine? Convert to your structure on the fly?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 411 of 929, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FreddyV wrote on 2020-05-04, 21:43:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

Thanks for this test, I did not know this musician, I downloaded some of his songs.
I will try to check this.

On what kind of machine did you try it ?

I've tried on both 286/20 and 486dx/33 and on DosBox. Same results.

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 412 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote on 2020-05-07, 15:36:

Very cool! I guess the data structure for the patterns is different from ModMaster's. How are you going to solve that? Different display routine? Convert to your structure on the fly?

Pause, Forward/Backward and channels "Bar" Display is Ok now.
I save the values for the volume and so on in the Mod Master variables to be able to display them.
I disabled the partition display for the moment. (I need to change the display code to read the RAD Partition)
The replay is perfect as it use the Reality Adlib Tracker code. 😀
Original RAD Code was done for 286, now should work on 8088.

Do you have some good .RAD files ?
It seems there are nice music, even if the format is simple.

Now I go to the next adlib file format, I need to hear some OPL3 music.

Then, I will do something to play with the Tandy sound card (I said nothing)

Last edited by FreddyV on 2020-05-07, 19:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 413 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zyga64 wrote on 2020-05-07, 15:37:

I've tried on both 286/20 and 486dx/33 and on DosBox. Same results.

I did not ask for the bug but to know what you think about the performance.
Is it correct on a 286 ? I never tested….

Reply 414 of 929, by MobyGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FreddyV wrote on 2020-05-04, 21:13:

By the Way, MobyGamer, did you use a shorter / Assembly version of the MON player in the demo ? It can be better to add this in Mod Master rather than the full .PAS code

For 8088 MPH, we used the raw PIT divisor values because the VINT replay had to be as fast as possible. So the actual music data was 4x LARGER than the .MON files. Replay routine looked like:

mov     [musicidx],bx           ;store current or updated index
lds si,[musicbuf] ;ds:bx now points to music buffer
mov ax,[bx+si] ;grab indexed value to send to PIT2
mov dx,CHAN2PORT ;channel 2 should be gated to speaker
out dx,al ;output lobyte
mov al,ah
out dx,al ;output hibyte

Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure 😀

The author of Ratilleray made an RLE-compressed version of the PIT output data, and that replayer and converter is in the github somewhere, but I've never used it.

Reply 415 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MobyGamer wrote on 2020-05-08, 04:13:
For 8088 MPH, we used the raw PIT divisor values because the VINT replay had to be as fast as possible. So the actual music dat […]
Show full quote
FreddyV wrote on 2020-05-04, 21:13:

For 8088 MPH, we used the raw PIT divisor values because the VINT replay had to be as fast as possible. So the actual music data was 4x LARGER than the .MON files. Replay routine looked like:
Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure 😀

The author of Ratilleray made an RLE-compressed version of the PIT output data, and that replayer and converter is in the github somewhere, but I've never used it.

Yeah Good Idea, I will mix the MOD to a WAV and replace ModMaster by a WAV Player 😀
I am motivated to start working on Tandy chip, so I need to free up some code size and it can be an opportunity to convert your .PAS Code to assembly.
I used your pascal code in case you improve Monotone (And to have the best replay possible), but it may not come soon.

Reply 416 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FreddyV wrote on 2020-05-07, 19:06:

Do you have some good .RAD files ?
It seems there are nice music, even if the format is simple.

So far only the ones that come with the Tracker itself. However, I think the RAD Tracker is still pretty neat and people could make new songs with it.

Of course there is also v2.0: https://realityproductions.itch.io/rad -- this one is I think incompatible to the v1 files, but supports OPL3 as well.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 417 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FreddyV wrote on 2020-05-08, 06:32:

I am motivated to start working on Tandy chip, so I need to free up some code size and it can be an opportunity to convert your .PAS Code to assembly.
I used your pascal code in case you improve Monotone (And to have the best replay possible), but it may not come soon.

Any chance of using overlays to swap out code at runtime? That could free up quite some space, I guess. You could load in file support depending on which song comes next.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 419 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote on 2020-05-08, 07:17:

Any chance of using overlays to swap out code at runtime? That could free up quite some space, I guess. You could load in file support depending on which song comes next.

I now completed the internal file format loader, so I may compile a version with only this loader plus other loaders needing another replay code.
The .MON replay code alone is huge, for the more simple format with the lowest number of music available. 😀
With this code size, I can do 3 or 4 adlib format player.

I can also compile a simple command line version, to free the maximum of space.
Internal format player without interface is 45Kb.
Why not a "Tandy HX/EX" version without GUS/OPL2 driver, for Tandy 1000, PC Junior or IBM PC with 256Kb. They could play 100Kb MOD File probably.