VOGONS

Common searches

TR1 running too slow

Topic actions

First post, by phantasyx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried all the suggestions and TR1 is still running too slow. I've updated my drivers. Did I miss something? What else can I do?
Iam so happy with the way the game looks with this program and I would like to purchase it but not when it runs this slow.
Help!!!!:(

Reply 3 of 21, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

eek, A Cyrix processor....ok wait a sec while my stomach stops churning...

Okay, I'm goo--
BLEHH!!!
Umm, sorry 'bout that. Just had to come out. 😉

Never used OpenGlide with TR1 on a Cyrix processor but emulating anything on a Cyrix would be a painful experience. Try a friend's P3/Athlon/P4 if you can and see if you notice a difference. 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 21, by phantasyx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK Let me have it ! I take it Cyrx is not the favorite. Why is that?
Really I'd like to know. I've thought about taking it back because Im not to happy with it's performance but not sure where it falls short. I like the skinny on it.
Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by "try a friends P3/athlon/P4"?
Thanks for your help!🆒

Reply 6 of 21, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How slow is slow? Press F2 while playing TR and look at the FPS reading in the top right.

If you are getting really really slow one frame per second performance then you probably still haven't got OpenGL support.

A system built to cut costs might not have much in the way of hardware 3D support.

The more you can find out about your system, the more we can tell you.

I've had TR1 just about playable on an old PII-200 with a TNT card, so I'm suspicious of your 3D card.

Reply 8 of 21, by phantasyx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And the winner is.......................Kaminari!

So far turning off midmapping did the trick.
Thanks so much for all the support. I am very impressed! I've tried other forums and never got the amount of support I got here in such a short time frame.

It's nice to see there are still caring people out there willing to help someone they don't even know. (As you can see Im touched)

You're Awsome!:D

Reply 9 of 21, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I'm very glad that worked... but the mipmapping setting doesn't do anything when TR is running under Glidos.

Its a good job Kaminari is here because, since I know that there is absolutely no way changing the mipmapping setting could possibly help, I would never have suggested it. 😁

This isn't fair: I'm suppoed to understand Glidos.

Reply 10 of 21, by phantasyx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As a teacher I've learned that you learn something new everyday. Even on subjects you specialize in. I would be happy to work with you on figuring out why it worked if you are interested in broadening you knowledge base. Let me know.😀

Reply 11 of 21, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad that it helped too 😜

Actually I was talking about the mipmapping feature in the video menu of TR (which only appears in the Glide version AFAIK), not about the master switch in OpenGlide (which I always leave enabled).

For some reason, enabling the ingame mipmapping makes the display crawl like a snail, though the visual rendering is still exactly the same.

Reply 12 of 21, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is very intereting. It used to be the case that turning on anti aliasing in the game would drop the framerate. That was because TR does antialiasing by drawing antialiased lines around objects; Glidos didn't handle the Glide command, and displayed the commands name many times per second in the server window (outputing lots of messages in the server window slows everything down).

When it runs slow for you, do you see any extra messages in the server dialog window?

Reply 14 of 21, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Glidos This isn't fair: I'm suppoed to understand Glidos.

Oh come on Paul, you're going to tell me you haven't experienced "Twilight Zone" issues on PC's?

When I hit a "brick wall", I start by disabling all kinds of things at random. Sometimes the answer simply won't make since. I still remember this poor guy who had a Commodore64 that worked fine everywhere...except his own home. Never got a rational explanation on that one.

Reply 16 of 21, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Oh come on Paul, you're going to tell me you haven't experienced "Twilight Zone" issues on PC's?

Yeh, you're right. Making sense is the rare case.

When I hit a "brick wall", I start by disabling all kinds of things at random. Sometimes the answer simply won't make since. I still remember this poor guy who had a Commodore64 that worked fine everywhere...except his own home. Never got a rational explanation on that one.

Had he paid is electricity bill? 😀

Reply 18 of 21, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Glidos Had he paid is electricity bill?

Oh, yes. Tried different rooms, different outlets,... Everything thing else in his home worked. The closest thing to an answer that we could think up was that voltage and current in his home was on the "fringe" of what's considered "quality" electricity. Of course, that was just guessing.

Also, I remember one guy who bought a game and asked me to test it before he took it home (he lived almost a 2 hours' drive away). We were both stunned when, instead of the game, a story in text started scrolling across the screen.

It talked about the programmers, their families, their need for food, and proceeded to tell us to stop being pirates. He didn't like that...at all. The next one worked fine. I guess that the copy protection on the disk was a bit over-sensitive and was triggered when the 1541 disk drive didn't respond the way it should it have.

Reply 19 of 21, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Oh, yes. Tried different rooms, different outlets,... Everything thing else in his home worked. The closest thing to an answer that we could think up was that voltage and current in his home was on the "fringe" of what's considered "quality" electricity. Of course, that was just guessing.

When I worked as a computer technician, I heard tell of this happening, although I never saw it myself. They brought in the ENTIRE machine, power cords, cables, surge strip, monitor - everything. And it all worked fine. When the customer took it home, it wouldn't boot. And the reason? We surmised it was the same as yours.

I've got horror stories about the PC infested with cockroaches, too - don't get me started. 😉

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto