VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What are some Arabic theme games out there? I know only Prince of Persia, and Magic Carpet.

Reply 1 of 17, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Everything on Middle East:
- On ZX Spectrum: Manic Muslim, El Misterio del Nilo, Tuareg...
- PC: Desert Strike, every Shantae game (sort of arabic themes), Aladdin, Serious Sam, Anomaly Warzone Earth...

With arabic levels:
- Metal Slug, some Splinter Cell games, some Ace Combat games, Duke Nukem 20th Anniversary, DuckTales Remastered, Tumblepop, F-19 Stealth Fighter...

Non arabic geography, arabic inspiration:
- Dune.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 17, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is Arabian Nights which is not a good game https://www.gog.com/game/arabian_nights

"Never pay more than 20 dollars for a computer game" - Guybrush Threepwood

Reply 5 of 17, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote on 2020-05-09, 03:39:

Have there ever been games based on the Sinbad stories?

Have you tried to look for some common terms like "genie", "sinb", "baba", "thiev", "pers", "east" or "arab" on old software sites (like world of spectrum, home of the underdogs... depending on which system do you want to play)?

Sinbad from Cinemaware seems a fine game... maybe not unforgettable but definitely not bad.

I forgot to ask earlier... what do you consider an "arabic theme" game... because it's fairly easy to find games based on both gulf wars (or later), and some on the Iranian revolution (like The Cat and the Coup). Also, remember that (at least from my point of view), Egypt, Syria, Israel, Lebanon... are all middle east countries so any Pharaoh-themed game (look for "phara", "nile"... Assassin's Creed Origins, maybe?), some based on the crusades and even "Fist of Jesus" may be considered "middle east" (although not entirely arabic).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 17, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lots: https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/setting-middle-east

P.S. Persians (and Tuareg for that matter) are not Arabic 😉

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 10 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
digger wrote on 2020-05-12, 19:16:

Quest for Glory II: Trial by Fire would definitely fit in this category. 🙂

QFG 2 and 3 are more Persian.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 11 of 17, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-05-12, 20:03:
digger wrote on 2020-05-12, 19:16:

Quest for Glory II: Trial by Fire would definitely fit in this category. 🙂

QFG 2 and 3 are more Persian.

QfG2 had mythological creatures such as Jinn, which are definitely something out of Arabian folklore. It may have had some Persian influences as well, but it definitely had an Arabic theme. Let's call it Middle Eastern, then. 😉

QfG3 had some of it too, to a lesser extent, but its theme was mainly African.

Reply 12 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
digger wrote on 2020-05-12, 21:58:

QfG2 had mythological creatures such as Jinn, which are definitely something out of Arabian folklore. It may have had some Persian influences as well, but it definitely had an Arabic theme. Let's call it Middle Eastern, then. 😉

QfG3 had some of it too, to a lesser extent, but its theme was mainly African.

On QFG3, agreed, Corey and Lori Ann incorporated Egyptian, savannah, and rainforest settings. Presumably Tunisian unless Laurel and Hardy are really off track. It's probably my favourite from the series which is not a common perspective.

QFG2 definitely drew from the Arabian Nights and similar cultural references of the Islamic Golden Age. I've always considered that period to be heavily influenced by the Persian intellectuals the Abbasid Caliphate attracted, but considering the cultural cross pollination, Middle Eastern or South Asian is probably the best way to describe it.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 13 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I didn't mention those because this is a Windows subforum and those two didn't have Windows releases until those DOSBox-pack-in bundles a decade+ later. Maybe King's Quest V.......

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 15 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Muz wrote on 2020-05-14, 09:21:

I am having a problem with game the Quraish, the game crashes after some time, and no patch are available as the game is not supported anymore.

That's certainly obscure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quraish_(video_game)

If you're looking for help, you're going to have to give some information about the system you're running it on and what you mean by "crashes after some time".