VOGONS

Reply 15100 of 27553, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote on 2020-05-06, 18:28:
Nope. Today I managed to get it working at last. It took a BIOS update to a 2009-era beta BIOS and physically burning a DVD ISO. […]
Show full quote
darry wrote on 2020-05-06, 00:06:

[...]

I just created a Build 1909 Windows 10 installation USB flash drive using the Media Creation Tool that I just downloaded from Microsoft on my non-UEFI x58 based system (Supermicro X8SAX with x5675) and it booted just fine from USB (tried both 32-bot and 64-bit version) . UEFI support is definitely NOT compulsory for Windows 10 USB installation media . I also have an XW4600 Core 2 Quad (Q9400S) machine (obviously non UEFI) which I wiped and fresh installed Windows 10 x64 on through USB install media about 4 months ago (whatever build was current then) without any issues .

H3nrik V! wrote on 2020-05-06, 06:39:

[...]

So, you got youself a nice SO479 motherboard from that 😁

A friend of mine runs Win10 on a C2Q, all though a 9550. The 8200 does not support Virtualization it seems. Might this be an issue for Win10?

Nope. Today I managed to get it working at last. It took a BIOS update to a 2009-era beta BIOS and physically burning a DVD ISO. Upgrade from Win7 still kept failing, and no matter what I did to that USB stick with Rufus, the system refused to boot from it (where it happily starts from any Linux USB stick). But a clean install from DVD onto the SSD worked nicely with the new BIOS. Of course, the new BIOS screwed up fan control, so needed to solve that in software (Speedfan), and not upgrading meant messing around to get the install properly activated again. Joy. I suddenly remember why I vowed never to do a current Windows install again. Linux can certainly give you headaches, but this is next-level crap.

Still, I do now have a very nice little So479 board. Shame I don't really have anything sensible to do with it...

Happy you got it work in the end . I have been much luckier in my Windows 7 to 10 upgrades and fresh installs .

The only serious issue I had once when running an upgrade was having to use an older Windows 10 build as update media and then updating to the current build without issue rather than using the Microsoft update tool . That was on a fairly recent UEFI equipped (but running in legacy CSM mode) Dell E5430 laptop .

That said, I tend to create the USB install media directly using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool rather than Rufus (I think I used Rufus to create a USB installer from the old build ISO, though) .

Reply 15101 of 27553, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The VIA CPU works perfectly with MS-6905 Master and Gigabyte GA-6BXC rev. 2.0. It doesn't go to 1 GHz (900 MHz is maximum for this particular CPU), but seems to be very stable at 150 MHz (3x50). Overall I'm very happy with it, seems like an ultimate DOS rig.

Reply 15102 of 27553, by brownk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-05-06, 15:24:

thank you :3
I'll keep that info in case I ever need it as I just got one of these ^^ Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Glad it help. I installed it on a 440BX rig and it went easy-peasy. Its MIDI part sounds awesome to my ears. 😉

Reply 15103 of 27553, by CHiLL72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Last week I mentioned I would do a CPU upgrade of my ASUS CUBX-E based system and yesterday I did just that. Replaced the 850 MHz Pentium III Coppermine with an 1100 MHz Pentium III Coppermine. CPU temperature looks fine, tops out around 45 degrees. But the fan on my Alpha PAL6035 cooler is a little noisy. Removed a defective harddrive from the system as well.
Installed Red Alert 2 on it and played that for a little while. Nice!

Attachments

• 20200506_133805.jpg
    Filename
    20200506_133805.jpg
    File size
    704.59 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Waveblaster MIDI boards: https://waveblaster.nl - online now!

Reply 15104 of 27553, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I finally got around to installing Windows 2000 on the Dimension 2200 like I planned to do a few days ago, and later the Optiplex GX400 will get its turn as well. Getting Win2k fully updated sure isn't a quick process.

Reply 15105 of 27553, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Received a few things I'd ordered today so have been testing everything out.

First of all a spare Kempston-compatible Joystick Interface for my Sinclair ZX Spectrum. Ordered this just in case my other one breaks again. Working fine, played a bit of Manic Miner, Ghosts N Goblins & R-Type.

eCecrLEl.jpg

Then unexpectedly I received my cheap SNES Everdrive cartridge from China:

l0BK6KQl.jpg

Been playing Super Nintendo games for most of the evening, as well as testing out a few Japanese NTSC games and seeing how they run on an un-modded PAL console.

The Chinese clone Everdrive suits my needs, I don't need all the bells & whistles of the newer official ones.

Reply 15106 of 27553, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Had to copy my hard drives (10GB to 4.3GB) to fix the drive issues (might need to replace the HDD as the 4.3GB drive is having issues) on my 486. To get my 10GB drive to work, I had to insert my 3Com 3C509-TP ISA card with the XT-IDE Universal BIOS boot ROM and ran ghost on the 10GB drive to copy the files to the 4.3GB drive.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 15107 of 27553, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Upgraded my 1992 rev 2 p0rn to 1996 rev 3 p0rn. The soundtrak is much better. Just kidding, did not do a thing retro/vintage except read thru this great forum ! The last 20 or so posts make me envious of all of you with your hardware and skills. Good job !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 15108 of 27553, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More misadventures with the soldering iron - got some finer and fatter tips, was able to finish soldering the 2 sets of programming pins on the Gotek USB (the STM32F105 that we all know and love, and the STM32F103 that was used for the Mini-USB functionality)

Made the tactical mistake of taking off read protection on the F103 so I can backup the original firmware...which then...proceeded to wipe the content of the onboard flash. Whoops. That effectively killed the Gotek. I don’t think the original firmware is available for re-flashing anywhere.

As for using it to desolder the damned bulged cap on the t5720 board....nope. No dice. Had the fat wide tip contact the solder on the bottom, added a large ball of solder, used a liberal amount of desoldering braid, set the tip to an ungodly 372C/700F, nope - still doesn’t want to budge. If the Engineer SS-02 Solder sucker doesn’t work, well...that’s not going to do. Not sure if I want to spring for a vacuum desoldering gun, though.

Reply 15109 of 27553, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Last night I was able to finally get a 12GB drive working in my WANG Alliance 750CD 386sx 25Mhz system after fighting with EZ-Drive and then finally getting a newer version named Western Digital LifeGuard Tools and having it work right off the bat. Also installed DOS 6.22 last night.

Now working on getting it set up to do some sound card testing and possibly recording.

I had forgotten how slow a 2x CDROM drive is... it is painful.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 15110 of 27553, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Same here, man. Reasons why I have an IDE CD-ROM drive connected to my 486 machines so that I can play some games at the speed of light. Greased and oiled the 5.25" 1.2MB floppy drive and shrank the 40GB HDD to 7.8GB as the 4.3GB HDD wasn't sounding pleasant (clicked every 3 minutes), but works fine still. The 486 build is still running slow AF and I need to get a better VLB I/O card that has more drive speed options and secondary IDE.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 15111 of 27553, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had to drive to work today, so I picked up a few new items that I got in the mail a few eeks ago, and an MSI KT3 Ultra2 board from storage that I needed to recap (Lots of shitty Teapo 1000uF 6.3V bulging caps..) which I may as well do these days. Otherwise, not much going on lately 🙁

Last edited by appiah4 on 2020-05-08, 10:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 15112 of 27553, by FazzaGBR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yesterday and today I have been sorting through a few things and I keep re-finding retro laptops I have purchased but have yet to have a proper look at! It's like opening a Christmas present you love, twice! 😀

My personal website blog: https://www.retrocomputing.co.uk/ and my new Retro Computing YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8UT2gm3EvNl2tvomN7reg

Reply 15114 of 27553, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got to soldering a bunch of stuff recently:
Recapped a Slot 1 440ex motherboard, Socket A kt133 motherboard:

P_20200508_155102_HDR.jpg
Filename
P_20200508_155102_HDR.jpg
File size
230.49 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Also recapped a S370 motherboard and added a missing SB-Link to it and a Yamaha 724 sound card. Plus made a basic cable to connect them with.
The Socket 7 430HX motherboard had its serial port ripped up so I soldered a new one.

P_20200508_155151_HDR.jpg
Filename
P_20200508_155151_HDR.jpg
File size
439.79 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

New caps for a Geforce3 ti200 and a Hercules PowerVR Kyro. Thermal-glued heatsinks to a 3DFX Banshee and a Voodoo3 1000:

P_20200508_155217_HDR.jpg
Filename
P_20200508_155217_HDR.jpg
File size
465.98 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 15116 of 27553, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-05-06, 18:28:

Nope. Today I managed to get it working at last. It took a BIOS update to a 2009-era beta BIOS and physically burning a DVD ISO. Upgrade from Win7 still kept failing, and no matter what I did to that USB stick with Rufus, the system refused to boot from it (where it happily starts from any Linux USB stick). But a clean install from DVD onto the SSD worked nicely with the new BIOS. Of course, the new BIOS screwed up fan control, so needed to solve that in software (Speedfan), and not upgrading meant messing around to get the install properly activated again. Joy. I suddenly remember why I vowed never to do a current Windows install again. Linux can certainly give you headaches, but this is next-level crap.

Still, I do now have a very nice little So479 board. Shame I don't really have anything sensible to do with it...

As much as I despise Win10 (it's the best version of Windows if you want to switch to Linux, or literally anything else 🤣) it's actually your board that has issues. I have a few Gigabyte LGA775 boards (including this exact one) and they all have the same issue: they refuse to boot from USB if you pick USB-HDD from the boot menu, regardless of the OS on the flash drive. You actually have to pick HDD and THEN pick your USB drive from the other menu. Gigabyte really blew that one.

Reply 15117 of 27553, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TechieDude wrote on 2020-05-08, 14:51:

[...]

As much as I despise Win10 (it's the best version of Windows if you want to switch to Linux, or literally anything else 🤣) it's actually your board that has issues. I have a few Gigabyte LGA775 boards (including this exact one) and they all have the same issue: they refuse to boot from USB if you pick USB-HDD from the boot menu, regardless of the OS on the flash drive. You actually have to pick HDD and THEN pick your USB drive from the other menu. Gigabyte really blew that one.

Grr, that sounds about right. Could have saved myself a DVD. Then again, didn't have a 1909 Windows 10 DVD yet and it might just come in useful in future. Thanks for the heads-up in any case.

Reply 15118 of 27553, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TechieDude wrote on 2020-05-08, 14:51:

I can confirm this, some of my boards will hapily boot from any USB drive. But some of them, like my DFI LanParty NF4-SLI, will not work well with USB drives. I tried to install Windows XP with Easy2Boot recently and it kept freezing at random points during boot. I tried another USB drive, didn't work. I tried another USB ISO burning software designed for XP, didn't work.

The only way I could get Windows XP on that machine was to burn a real CD and boot from it. Ugh..

Reply 15119 of 27553, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When I had to deal with systems that had no removable media drive options, and couldn't boot from USB, I would just pull the HDD, system format it from within another Windows installation, then copy Win2K/WinXP's installation packages onto it, with EMM386.EXE. Boot into DOS, run EMM386, run Windows setup. May be harder to pull off now.
Still dragging my feet on resurrecting my Asus P4S800D board. I have the capacitors on my desk, but not the motivation in my soul.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.