VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 33840 of 52719, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No hanging note bugs at all. Great choice.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 33842 of 52719, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A Commodore PC 20-III with monitor, in their boxes. Keyboard missing unfortunately. 'Unboxing' tomorrow 😀

Attachments

1982 to 2001

Reply 33843 of 52719, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ooo nice!

...so I got a small lot of cards a few generic GPUs, TV, network cards and the like, also a handy floppy/card reader combo drive... but I got it for this card:

hardware38_48.jpg
Filename
hardware38_48.jpg
File size
377.75 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
hardware38_49.jpg
Filename
hardware38_49.jpg
File size
380.79 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

so... this could either be a Radeon 9700, or 9700 pro, I didn't find anything apparent on the card to tell me....
unfortunately the cooler was very shoddily mounted and the card was slightly bent from uneven pressure apparently... so first thing I did was take the cooler off in my hopes to save the card...

so underneath it was revealed... it's "only" a 9700 (215R8CBKA13F)
but not only that, the die is also chipped 🙁 ... probably due to the uneven cooler mounting or just some force that got the card bent too.

hardware38_50.jpg
Filename
hardware38_50.jpg
File size
102.32 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

:sadface:

I know old athlons tend to still work with slightly chipped corners, but idk about radeons... I doubt this will even work at all still 🙁

Reply 33844 of 52719, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That should not cause any issues. I have some S370 Pentium III CPUs with all corners and edges chipped and they still work. There are no transistors that close to the border of the die. As long as the chipping did not cause a crack going thru the die, it should work.

TheMobRules wrote on 2020-05-08, 18:07:

Just got this nice CT1770:

From what I can tell it has a v4.05 DSP, so this must be one of those SB16 with bug-free MIDI output right?

Afaik, it is affected by the hanging notes bug, too, but only of the second, not so problematic one. At least that is what I was told about my CT1780 (same card, just a different CD interface).

Last edited by derSammler on 2020-05-08, 20:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 33845 of 52719, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a used Hercules 3D Prophet 9000. As the name implies it's a Radeon 9000 128MB card. I really like these blue Hercules cards!

Unfortunately there seems to be some graphical corruption when running some 3D tests and running the driver's built-in diagnostics tool confirms a memory problem. If I ever decide to use it in a system I'd need to debug this further.

IMG_20200507_215739.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200507_215739.jpg
File size
791.26 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 33846 of 52719, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote on 2020-05-08, 20:19:

That should not cause any issues. I have some S370 Pentium III CPUs with all corners and edges chipped and they still work. There are no transistors that close to the border of the die. As long as the chipping did not cause a crack going thru the die, it should work.

I hope so... but the slightly bent PCB also makes me doubt it's integrity.
another reason I got it was for the nice cooler, but the mounting system seems to be pretty bad... will have to find a substitute to test with... I should get some generic VGA coolers.

edit: well I looked over the cooler mounting, and it's really dumb imho, there is a rubber o-ring on each side of the PCB on the screws, so the whole large heatsink assembly is basically "floating" on the PCB as there is no point where it sits flush... no wonder the die is chipped.

Last edited by imi on 2020-05-08, 23:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 33847 of 52719, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-05-08, 14:46:

Well I'm glad it's being resolved satisfactory so far. But it just seems so weird for Newegg I've been using them since 04/05 and I've never had any issues with how they package and ship things even refurbished items. I really hope they fully resolve this for you.

I will probably never buy a refurb for which visual appearance is important (monitor or anything with a screen) again if it is not graded within a clearly defined grading system . Even then, that says nothing about packing quality .

The 2007FPB I got from an amazon reseller was extremely well packaged. I was expecting newegg.ca to be at least on par . Then again, I should probably blame the refurbisher for the shoddy packing .

Reply 33848 of 52719, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2020-05-08, 14:33:
They will pay for return shipping . I said would prefer a replacement if possible. They will refund me if not possible . Conside […]
Show full quote
austinham wrote on 2020-05-08, 04:44:
darry wrote on 2020-05-08, 04:31:

The worst of it is that I paid 40$ shipping on it, so it would presumably cost the same to ship back . I would be surprised if the yrefunded any of the shipping costs. So that means, in the best of circumstances, I'm going to be out 80$ with no monitor .

I've been spoiled by dellrefurbished.ca . Their stuff is accurately graded and I've had no bad surprises with the 4 laptops I've purchased from them so far . Oh, and they know how to pack .

I was actually expecting something similar from newegg.ca . Oh and I forgot to mention, there actually was bubble wrap in one corner of the box. They just never bothered to wrap the screen in it .

Send it postage due or COD. If they don’t file a charge back.

They will pay for return shipping . I said would prefer a replacement if possible. They will refund me if not possible . Considering the monitor was loose in box, face against cardboard, with loose cables inside and cardboard support structure had failed , it could be due to bad packing combined with rough handling .

This might be shipping damage, but I can't say for sure .

I also find it hard to believe that something as glaring would pass any quality control if it had been present before shipping .

Anyway, newegg.ca seems to be handling this in a fantastic manner so far .

Did you purchase it from a 3rd party seller on Newegg or from Newegg themselves?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 33849 of 52719, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-05-08, 23:45:
darry wrote on 2020-05-08, 14:33:
They will pay for return shipping . I said would prefer a replacement if possible. They will refund me if not possible . Conside […]
Show full quote
austinham wrote on 2020-05-08, 04:44:

Send it postage due or COD. If they don’t file a charge back.

They will pay for return shipping . I said would prefer a replacement if possible. They will refund me if not possible . Considering the monitor was loose in box, face against cardboard, with loose cables inside and cardboard support structure had failed , it could be due to bad packing combined with rough handling .

This might be shipping damage, but I can't say for sure .

I also find it hard to believe that something as glaring would pass any quality control if it had been present before shipping .

Anyway, newegg.ca seems to be handling this in a fantastic manner so far .

Did you purchase it from a 3rd party seller on Newegg or from Newegg themselves?

Newegg themselves .

Reply 33850 of 52719, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got this Dell OptiPlex GX400 off eBay and it arrived on Wednesday, finally test the thing out yesterday (Thursday) and the results were...not good. Blinking yellow power light of doom and the CPU fan running at full blast, despite me trying both the original RAM it came with and a set of my own.

EXdO3jeWkAACp6M?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Sent a message to the seller but so far no response...I don't really want to ship this thing back because it's pretty heavy and I'd have to pay for it. Would rather get refunded half what I paid and use that to buy a replacement motherboard or something.

Reply 33851 of 52719, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
EvieSigma wrote on 2020-05-09, 01:51:
I got this Dell OptiPlex GX400 off eBay and it arrived on Wednesday, finally test the thing out yesterday (Thursday) and the res […]
Show full quote

I got this Dell OptiPlex GX400 off eBay and it arrived on Wednesday, finally test the thing out yesterday (Thursday) and the results were...not good. Blinking yellow power light of doom and the CPU fan running at full blast, despite me trying both the original RAM it came with and a set of my own.

Sent a message to the seller but so far no response...I don't really want to ship this thing back because it's pretty heavy and I'd have to pay for it. Would rather get refunded half what I paid and use that to buy a replacement motherboard or something.

Couple of things to try first:
1. CMOS battery
2. Power Supply
3. CPU

My bet is that the motherboard is dead though. Was it sold as working? If so, and you want to ship it back for a refund, then eBay will provide a pre-paid shipping label which they charge the seller for.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 33852 of 52719, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-05-09, 02:49:
Couple of things to try first: 1. CMOS battery 2. Power Supply 3. CPU […]
Show full quote
I got this Dell OptiPlex GX400 off eBay and it arrived on Wednesday, finally test the thing out yesterday (Thursday) and the res […]
Show full quote

1. CMOS battery
2. Power Supply
3. CPU

My bet is that the motherboard is dead though. Was it sold as working? If so, and you want to ship it back for a refund, then eBay will provide a pre-paid shipping label which they charge the seller for.

It was sold as working, yeah, hence the frustration when it arrived and very much was not. Motherboard clearly lived a hard life as both the green AGP retainer thing and part of the CMOS battery holder were extremely brittle and snapped off, a sure-fire sign of having spent years running in a real hot environment.

Reply 33853 of 52719, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
EvieSigma wrote on 2020-05-09, 03:22:
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-05-09, 02:49:
Couple of things to try first: 1. CMOS battery 2. Power Supply 3. CPU […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

1. CMOS battery
2. Power Supply
3. CPU

It was sold as working, yeah, hence the frustration when it arrived and very much was not. Motherboard clearly lived a hard life as both the green AGP retainer thing and part of the CMOS battery holder were extremely brittle and snapped off, a sure-fire sign of having spent years running in a real hot environment.

After replacing the battery You should remove the Heatsink-Fan from the cpu, clean them and re-apply good (non-silver based/non conductive) heatsink goop. Next remove the RDram and clean the edge contacts with Iso Alc on paper towel. If it was never re-greased since built you have an old machine that most likely has chalk instead of grease between the cpu and heatsink and could have mild film on the ram contacts. Plastics do wear out but that should not prevent the board from booting if cpu and ram are in good shape ! If still no boot check the PSU voltages.
I recently bought a similar P4 that had issues and nearly all (except bad HD) were fixed with re-spooging the cpu heatsink.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 33854 of 52719, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did clean the RAM slots with my trusty QD Electronic Cleaner (available at your local Walmart!) but not the modules themselves. And I definitely should get a look at that CPU.

Reply 33855 of 52719, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i would definitely wait and see if the seller responds before digging too deep and attempting repairs.
on more than one occasion, an ebay seller has refunded me without having to ship the item back.
if you attempt a repair and somehow make it worse, i've done that also, returning the item then becomes ethically questionable as some of it is now your fault. 8-(

Reply 33857 of 52719, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote on 2020-05-09, 08:48:

Kawai GMega MIDI module complete with box .

Plus a set of rare anime MIDI file CD-ROMs.

This is a really nice module with certain games. It doesn't fare so well with others, but when it does it sounds great.

Reply 33858 of 52719, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With the whole virus thing winding down the flea markets opened up and so today I spotted a S478 Rambus motherboard - MSI 850 pro5. One of the 16V caps was flopping about so I replaced it.

P_20200509_113629.jpg
Filename
P_20200509_113629.jpg
File size
175.63 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Also a MAGNIFICENT blue PCB Radeon 9800pro by Hercules!

P_20200509_122618.jpg
Filename
P_20200509_122618.jpg
File size
402.64 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Sadly as I was removing the cooler to add new thermal paste, one of the screws holding it just snapped off and I am unable get it fixed, so Im looking through my replacement options. I have a 3rd party cooler for this card, but I really want to use the original.

P_20200509_122714.jpg
Filename
P_20200509_122714.jpg
File size
236.61 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 33859 of 52719, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Munx wrote on 2020-05-09, 09:34:

Also a MAGNIFICENT blue PCB Radeon 9800pro by Hercules!

sweet :3
maybe you can fix the cooler somehow.

I got one of these too recently... needs a bit of a clean ^^

hardware38_51.jpg
Filename
hardware38_51.jpg
File size
246.3 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
hardware38_52.jpg
Filename
hardware38_52.jpg
File size
398.15 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

also got this really nice specced Toshiba Satellite Pro 4360
Pentium III700, S3 Savage graphics and Yamaha YMF744 audio :3
complete with docking station and a fitting Toshiba carry bag.

hardware38_53.jpg
Filename
hardware38_53.jpg
File size
320.04 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
hardware38_54.jpg
Filename
hardware38_54.jpg
File size