VOGONS

First post, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi 😀
Please help me ....
Having given up on my 128mb ATI Radeon 6200 se having hardware acceleration in 9x I need to look for an AGP card with DVI
that will run with Direct x hardware acceleration something direct x 9 signed
Its for a pentium III system
The more memory the better.
My system dual boots windows 98se and windows 2000 (sometimes i run xp) so signed driver card for both would be awesome because I want to use a gpu accelerator

Last edited by zapbuzz on 2020-05-11, 00:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 11, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm thinking 32mb ram or more but seriously the prices guys have you seen them on ebay? I'm not after the best I just need something to run on signed drivers for direct x with windows 98se that can run dos games and play some 1990's games what if it was just a motherboard with integrated graphics i got a pentium 4 motherboard its got vga FOXCONN 651M03-6L a socket 478 intel cpu thing its got 2.2ghz pentium 4 and 2gb RAM i actually have better ram coming and a chipset cooler as well. SiS? last time i heard about them was back in 2005 when i owned a sis 6326 4mb pci card the chip was designed for agp 🤣. I don't know what the sis built in this board has signed booty or not. SiS Mirage walks towards it .... seems shady .... not shaders i wish i had millions to buy the best of the best i really do

Reply 4 of 11, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zapbuzz wrote on 2020-05-10, 19:17:

I'm thinking 32mb ram or more but seriously the prices guys have you seen them on ebay? I'm not after the best I just need something to run on signed drivers for direct x with windows 98se that can run dos games and play some 1990's games what if it was just a motherboard with integrated graphics i got a pentium 4 motherboard its got vga FOXCONN 651M03-6L a socket 478 intel cpu thing its got 2.2ghz pentium 4 and 2gb RAM i actually have better ram coming and a chipset cooler as well. SiS? last time i heard about them was back in 2005 when i owned a sis 6326 4mb pci card the chip was designed for agp 🤣. I don't know what the sis built in this board has signed booty or not. SiS Mirage walks towards it .... seems shady .... not shaders i wish i had millions to buy the best of the best i really do

If you shop around you can get some nice bargains on old PC hardware, also check on facebook groups that's how i got my Voodoo 1 and Voodoo 3 cards for decent prices.

There's loads of Geforce 2/4/MX cards on ebay and loads of Radeon 9200s or TNT2 cards if you want to go older although of course it depends on your location.

An ATI Rage 128/pro can be had for pretty cheap.

You'll find that a lot of integrated graphics chips are not very good with DOS support and pretty terrible in general for windows titles (not always the case of course) They'll mostly be S3 or SIS, on later boards you'll find some nvidia / ATI integrated graphics which will fare better in general.

Reply 5 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Geforce FX series is worth a look . The FX 5500 with 128-bit RAM is decent as an entry level card . If you want faster, there are higher end models that are costlier and require more power . Though they have Directx 9 support, only the FX5900 and higher really work for that .

They are pretty much the last Nvidia cards that work well on P2/P3 platforms under Windows 98 SE (Geforce 6 has issues in that kind of setup) .

Reply 6 of 11, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would say, that whole FX lineup is big no-no for DX9 games. Though, for PIII DX9 games should be out if question anyway. And also PIII would bottlenecks those faster FX or 9000 series cards like crazy.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 7 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Srandista wrote on 2020-05-10, 20:24:

I would say, that whole FX lineup is big no-no for DX9 games. Though, for PIII DX9 games should be out if question anyway. And also PIII would bottlenecks those faster FX or 9000 series cards like crazy.

Coukd still be useful for anti-aliasing .

I agree that DX9 is better served by XP and up, a faster machine and something other than a Geforce FX .

Reply 8 of 11, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Srandista wrote on 2020-05-10, 20:24:

Just speculatively the very notion of FX as advertising for sexy effects coincides with MMX II Multimedia sexy running on windows XP sexy professional. So the FX came out for MMX II and windows XP got DX9 direct sexy niner WE NOW HAVE A ORGY?!?

X is still the big sexy in advertising and marketing i'm afraid. People buy sexy buy sexy today 😁

If only Pentium had an x somewhere 🤣

But these days nobody knows where skylake came form ... oh yeah look up ... blue like water ROTFL

Thanks for advice Srandista and please pardon my behaviour i get a bit funny doing the graveyard shift retro research any other time the internet is maxed out as my countries pandemic alert keeps everyone home online.

Last edited by zapbuzz on 2020-05-11, 00:16. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 9 of 11, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So then its a Direct X 7 GPU for a pentium III machine well that should be cheaper surely. Lucky 7 sexy? i sure could use some luck .... i have struck out Geforce 4 Ti4200 its to damn expensive.
My pentium 3 mobo can use 1,2,3,4x AGP (sideband) at 3.3v
This is a temporary thing for me running 98se that I will finish this system as a windows 2000 machine.
my final edit for now is i found a Albatron NVidia GeForce FX5200 LP 128MB DDR AGP Video Card VGA/S-Video decided because its dirt
cheap it'll do as permanent resident for this rig. (pictured) , it isn't DVI but i can still use vga happily enough.
Well, for dos box on windows 2000 it should be ok i hope.

Now for my pentium 4.

It has AGP 8X so its really an xp machine but it can handle direct x 9 better so i can look at FX stuff
so now i need a dual system 98se and xp gpu thats cheaper?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    216.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 11, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2020-05-10, 19:59:

Geforce FX series is worth a look . The FX 5500 with 128-bit RAM is decent as an entry level card . If you want faster, there are higher end models that are costlier and require more power . Though they have Directx 9 support, only the FX5900 and higher really work for that .

They are pretty much the last Nvidia cards that work well on P2/P3 platforms under Windows 98 SE (Geforce 6 has issues in that kind of setup) .

Well, I think that'll be worth a price check for my p4 as my p3 has an albatron dank thingy coming thanks darry