VOGONS

Reply 61 of 631, by CachoAlpuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i have a AZT2320 chip sound card, when i execute the UNISOUND command the following message appears:
"Unknown PnP card [AZT3011] found. Not compatible yet."

Is there any way i can make it wok?

Reply 62 of 631, by JazeFox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback.

hard1k wrote on 2020-05-06, 08:06:

One small request - could you please also add the command line parameter to set the CD In volume? We're using it to feed the WaveBlaster 26-pin audio out. It would be also useful to play games that store their soundtracks in CD Red Book audio.

Yes, I'll think about it for a future version.

CachoAlpuy wrote on 2020-05-11, 14:36:

Hi, i have a AZT2320 chip sound card, when i execute the UNISOUND command the following message appears:

Please, try this release with new VendorID support for your card:

https://mega.nz/file/9EkBiCYQ#-MM2wXi3MN6zC7G … TAQcIGkgLdQMUNk

It should work.

Reply 63 of 631, by CachoAlpuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JazeFox wrote on 2020-05-11, 15:08:
Thanks again to everyone for the feedback. […]
Show full quote

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback.

One small request - could you please also add the command line parameter to set the CD In volume? We're using it to feed the WaveBlaster 26-pin audio out. It would be also useful to play games that store their soundtracks in CD Red Book audio.

Yes, I'll think about it for a future version.

CachoAlpuy wrote on 2020-05-11, 14:36:

Please, try this release with new VendorID support for your card:

https://mega.nz/file/9EkBiCYQ#-MM2wXi3MN6zC7G … TAQcIGkgLdQMUNk

It should work.

Now it detects the card but im getting distorted sound in some games, for example in Monkey Island and Atlantis the sound is distorted but in Duke 3D the music sounds ok selecting Adlib

Reply 64 of 631, by JazeFox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CachoAlpuy wrote on 2020-05-11, 17:45:

Now it detects the card but im getting distorted sound in some games, for example in Monkey Island and Atlantis the sound is distorted but in Duke 3D the music sounds ok selecting Adlib

If sound works but it's distorted/clipping, try lowering volume levels (Try with /VW /VF /V parameters).
If sound does not work well, it cuts/stutter, maybe you have resource conflicts (Try differet ones setting BLASTER env var) or defective card. If you have a different sound card to try it could help to discard other issues.

Reply 65 of 631, by villeneuve

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just got to know about this tool by PhilsComputerLab's recent video about it.
Kudos JazeFox, looks like a lot of effort has gone into it!
Open sourcing it at a later stage would be great though to help preserving the findings you made along the way.
Cheers!

Reply 66 of 631, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe, you would consider donations? And after some X amount is reached (that would be enough to cover your R&D investment), it could go open-source?
I would eagerly make a donation myself + I think we could allocate some % out of future proceeds from our AWE64 Legacy project as well as other ones that might benefit from the tool.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 67 of 631, by nanospark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Perhaps a dumb question, but do you have any plans on integrating PCI/Motherboard sound chips into this or another project?

Main PC: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate|i5 4690K|32GB DDR3L-1600|EVGA GT 730 1GB DDR3|Sound Blaster Z|Inland Professional 120GB SATA III SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX & 1 x 1TB WD Black WD1003FZEX|TSST DVD-RW|Win10 Pro x64

Too many retros to list!

Reply 68 of 631, by CachoAlpuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JazeFox wrote on 2020-05-11, 22:31:
CachoAlpuy wrote on 2020-05-11, 17:45:

If sound works but it's distorted/clipping, try lowering volume levels (Try with /VW /VF /V parameters).
If sound does not work well, it cuts/stutter, maybe you have resource conflicts (Try differet ones setting BLASTER env var) or defective card. If you have a different sound card to try it could help to discard other issues.

This is how the bad FM sounds (Atlantis):
https://soundcloud.com/sebastian-alpuy/fm-bad … 2/s-IinrKIfHzu4

This is how the good FM sounds (Duke3D Setup)
https://soundcloud.com/sebastian-alpuy/good-fm/s-1Hdo8OmGEEI

So the card seems to be working fine, do you know what could be the problem?
I dont know how to find if there is any conflict in the configuration.

Reply 71 of 631, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@JazeFox Great project, thank you very much for making it! Do you plan to open the source by any chance? May be a project on git lab/hub? Would be nice to understand the whole stuff better and, may be, simplify the way to participate for the one or the other?

My Youtube channel Necroware

Reply 72 of 631, by JazeFox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks to everyone for your words.

Regarding questions about donations/opensourcing/chaging tool dev direction, etc... I want to keep things as they are right now, and I don't want money or donations, so no changes on this.
So from now on, all comments regarding those topics will be ignored.
Of course I'll be here to continue helping with bugs, enhancements, usage assistance, etc, as long as I can. I hope you'll understand 😀

Reply 73 of 631, by JazeFox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CachoAlpuy wrote on 2020-05-12, 14:45:
This is how the bad FM sounds (Atlantis): https://soundcloud.com/sebastian-alpuy/fm-bad … 2/s-IinrKIfHzu4 […]
Show full quote

Yes, It sounds scrambled... As other user said, It could be something related to machine speed. What system do you have? Motherboard? CPU...? Have you tried lowering speed or disabling L1 / L2 cache with SetMul or CpuCache tools?

Reply 74 of 631, by JazeFox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One question about AWE64 Legacy project... is there any special/different thing in that card (one I could detect in software) to know it's not a regular AWE64 with a SIMMCon? It would be handy, in order to treat it differently in Unisound (adjustments) and to show special/unique identification string...

Reply 75 of 631, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not really. We haven't implemented any changes in EEPROM or the way the card presents itself to the system - for the sake of compatibility with the original Creative software, drivers and stuff.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 76 of 631, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Somehow I missed this thread until I saw Phil's video yesterday. Thank you for such a great resource.

Right now, I have have 30 different DOS directories and 30 different autoexec.bat/config.sys combos for my sound card chipsets. I'll try it out with some of the more difficult cards like the Aztech Waverider Pro 32-3D (AZT2320).

Reply 78 of 631, by CachoAlpuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JazeFox wrote on 2020-05-13, 09:24:
CachoAlpuy wrote on 2020-05-12, 14:45:
This is how the bad FM sounds (Atlantis): https://soundcloud.com/sebastian-alpuy/fm-bad … 2/s-IinrKIfHzu4 […]
Show full quote

Yes, It sounds scrambled... As other user said, It could be something related to machine speed. What system do you have? Motherboard? CPU...? Have you tried lowering speed or disabling L1 / L2 cache with SetMul or CpuCache tools?

Its an AMD K6-2+ 500 MHz clocked at 400MHz in a motherboard with 430UX chipset and MR.BIOS.

When i disable L1 cache with Setmul the sound works, what is strange is that the sound works fine with SB32 and with L1 cache enabled.

Any clue of why is this issue?

Reply 79 of 631, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CachoAlpuy wrote on 2020-05-13, 19:56:

Its an AMD K6-2+ 500 MHz clocked at 400MHz in a motherboard with 430UX chipset and MR.BIOS.

When i disable L1 cache with Setmul the sound works, what is strange is that the sound works fine with SB32 and with L1 cache enabled.

Any clue of why is this issue?

In my experience, garbled OPL sound depends on both the game and the hardware. Apparently some games send commands too fast, and some hardware has issues with that, while some doesn't.
What do you mean by 'SB32'? If it's another sound card, it might have an alternative OPL implementation that's not as speed sensitive.