VOGONS

First post, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As the topic says,

some of the metal "pins"/terminals have come loose,come out of the plastic connector.. how do i get these back in securely ?

Reply 1 of 2, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you mean this, there's a small inverted lug on the back of each pin (circled) which sometimes becomes compressed (or breaks off!), meaning the pin can slide out of the plastic. If it's still there, bend it out gently and slide it back into the plastic then pull gently and the lug will engage inside preventing it coming loose

P8P9 Pin.JPG
Filename
P8P9 Pin.JPG
File size
167.88 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 2, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-05-15, 09:57:

If you mean this, there's a small inverted lug on the back of each pin (circled) which sometimes becomes compressed (or breaks off!), meaning the pin can slide out of the plastic. If it's still there, bend it out gently and slide it back into the plastic then pull gently and the lug will engage inside preventing it coming loose

P8P9 Pin.JPG

This is true for P8/P9 as well as a huge number of other connectors, including molex HDD/FDD and smaller size connectors used in laptops.

If they are in a really bad shape, I'm pretty sure you can still buy the new connectors for a few pennies. Grab any number of pins as long as they are of the exact same type - you only need the metal bits anyway. You'd have to solder them to the wires though, since I don't assume you have the squeezer tool.