Which games are better on a Macintosh?

Topic actions

Reply 101 of 261, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote on 2020-01-03, 09:03:

there are also screenshots on macintosh garden

It says that my ip was banned for some reason (even if i wasn't there before).

Reply 102 of 261, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

That's probably a whole IP range banned ;(

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 103 of 261, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My favourite game in Windows was SimTower, but I was never given a mac version, not even OSX version. SimTower was the game that led me to find DOSBox for Mac in my first emulation attempts. Real gaming on a Mac? I'd say my memory can see SimCity but I can't remember which version.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 105 of 261, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RoyBatty wrote on 2020-01-03, 17:25:

Marathon, ZPC (Zero Population Count).

The original Marathon was Mac-exclusive. Are you thinking of Marathon 2?

ZPC is by all accounts a very poorly-designed game.

Reply 107 of 261, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KainXVIII wrote on 2020-01-03, 11:06:
robertmo wrote on 2020-01-03, 09:03:

there are also screenshots on macintosh garden

It says that my ip was banned for some reason (even if i wasn't there before).

Some sites are so scared of Putin and KGB that ban Russian IPs.
Proxies help.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 108 of 261, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd like to see the dates each game was made for each platform. Other than that I could'nt care less.

pseudo3d wrote on 2018-07-25, 15:54:

Macs were amazingly reliable back in the day. The 1990s-era clones weren't (sub-standard hardware), and the software could be really messed up if you installed a bunch of random shareware extensions..

I call bull shit on this one= wrt early '90s which I think is what the OP is alluding to. I can network over ethernet, easy peasy, play games, do office work and tons more using a 286/12 and it's certainly a lot more versitile than my all in one b/w Mac. For example fit a backpack cd rom player and LS120 piggy backed to the parralell port. I can fit differemt monitors to it mono, herc cga,ega.,vga, svga I can attach any number of periferals, such as sound cards, joystick/game pads, a variaty of printers. keyboards and a lot more.

The reality:

robertmo wrote on 2019-02-22, 16:25:

most if not all mac versions of games mentioned here were released years later when hardware was better, and the idea of this thread is to find them.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 109 of 261, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sonic Superstars Tennis; it might not be that old a game, but it was ported to Mac but not PC, which is pretty unusual!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 110 of 261, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-01-08, 03:50:
I'd like to see the dates each game was made for each platform. Other than that I could'nt care less. […]
Show full quote

I'd like to see the dates each game was made for each platform. Other than that I could'nt care less.

pseudo3d wrote on 2018-07-25, 15:54:

Macs were amazingly reliable back in the day. The 1990s-era clones weren't (sub-standard hardware), and the software could be really messed up if you installed a bunch of random shareware extensions..

I call bull shit on this one= wrt early '90s which I think is what the OP is alluding to. I can network over ethernet, easy peasy, play games, do office work and tons more using a 286/12 and it's certainly a lot more versitile than my all in one b/w Mac. For example fit a backpack cd rom player and LS120 piggy backed to the parralell port. I can fit differemt monitors to it mono, herc cga,ega.,vga, svga I can attach any number of periferals, such as sound cards, joystick/game pads, a variaty of printers. keyboards and a lot more.

The reality:

robertmo wrote on 2019-02-22, 16:25:

most if not all mac versions of games mentioned here were released years later when hardware was better, and the idea of this thread is to find them.

Well, I kind of understand what you mean (I think so, at least).
What's positive on the 68k Macintosh platform - While buggy and less sophisticated than the Lisa line of computers,
it started out as a platform with a GUI, mono sound, a pseudo-API and a base resolution of 512×342 pels.
Which is, left alone, higher than the usual 320x200 resolution which the CGA, Tandy and MCGA world of the 1980s-early 90s was somewhat focused to.
(Ironically, though, the PC's Hercules card could display 720x348 pels -a much higher resolution than that of the original Macs- but was always neglected).

In some ways or another, a Macintosh with System 6/7 was very akin to Windows 3.x. Both had got the same type of desktop games, for example.
Maybe that's why professionals and gamers prefered the PC platform under DOS ? Windows 3 was too similar to a Mac, perhaps.
I mean, let's just think of QuickTime, TrueType or the built-in networking (chooser, appletalk). They all made their ways over to Windows 3.11.

Last, but not least, the Macintosh platform quickly adopted 640x480 pels as a standard resolution, too (as Windows 3.x did with Standard VGA).
Which in turn, encouraged adopting graphics to it, going away from the DPaint-ish 320x200 resolutions that pixel artists loved so much.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 111 of 261, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Prince of Persia 1's been mentioned in this thread before. Honestly, I don't know if I can fully agree with the Mac version being the best overall. It's certainly not bad and looks nice, but the gameplay is somewhat sluggish no matter how fast your Mac is. I'd say if you want to have some 640x400 PoP action, try the PC-98 version. It's not as colorful as the Mac version, but has better gameplay and some very nice in-game music. And fun fact, it's the very first port of the game outside of the Apple II original. Especially impressive when you realize that.

Reply 113 of 261, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote on 2020-05-11, 09:21:

thepirategamerboy12, what about pop2?

I'm not very familiar with the Mac version of PoP2. From what I've heard, the FM Towns and PC-98 versions are the best as far as the gameplay goes. Those ones add a lot of extra options that the Mac and IBM PC/DOS versions don't have.

Reply 115 of 261, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only good PoP I know is the classic one from 1989. I am not aware of other versions, I know they exist but... never saw them.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 116 of 261, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Generally,

i like more the Macintosh versions. Most games are better, better graphics and sound. The power of the PCs is the sound of Roland and the huge variety of games. But i have also some questions regarding the following:

- Why some Sierra On Line games never released for Mac? For instance Police Quest 2, Police Quest 3, Larry 2, Larry 3 etc. These games were released for the Amiga and even the Atari ST (except Police Quest 3). It seems weird to me because Mac computers seem to have great capabilities and they have strong titles like Gabriel Knight for example. Also titles like Eco Quest 1 & 2, Laura Bow etc.

- King's Quest 6 Macintosh version does not support Roland. The PC version supports Roland MT32 and General Midi.

- There are PC cd versions like Freddy Pharkas, Gabriel Knight, King's Quest 5 & 6. For Macintosh only floppy versions.

- There is no Monkey Island cd version for Mac. The floppy Mac version has the best graphics of all formats. Clean, sharp graphics and the inventory is like the PC cd version.

- Lot of music is missing from Rex Nebular Mac version, also the introduction is cut, without speech and little music and the inventory is not like the dos version.

- Macintosh LC475, Powerbook 540c, Macintosh Performa 6116CD, Power Macintosh G3 Minitower (x2), Imac G3, Powermac G4 MDD, Powermac G5, Imac Mid 2007
- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF
- Roland MT32, CM64, CM500, SC55, SC88, Yamaha MU50

Reply 117 of 261, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The mac was monochrome which might explain it. Sierra games made wonderful use of color. By 1993 when the mac color came out apple was a dying company and only used in classrooms. Not a great target for mass market games.

Reply 118 of 261, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That explains it all.

- Macintosh LC475, Powerbook 540c, Macintosh Performa 6116CD, Power Macintosh G3 Minitower (x2), Imac G3, Powermac G4 MDD, Powermac G5, Imac Mid 2007
- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF
- Roland MT32, CM64, CM500, SC55, SC88, Yamaha MU50

Reply 119 of 261, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

btw. the Mac-Versions of the very early Sierra AGI-Adventures suffer from a never fixed bug.
It's an issue with the switch from the 24Bit to 32Bit quickdraw routines in the roms of the machines.
It was never fixed. So only the very early machines up to the Macintosh IIcx do play these games
correctly, all later ones can not play these. That's why I do play them on the IIgs.

more here: https://www.savagetaylor.com/2019/12/15/68k-m … erra-agi-games/

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines