VOGONS

Reply 100 of 218, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Version 0.10.1 is ready.

• Fixed broken support for `ffmpeg` and `yt.bat` (youtube-dl) converters.
  • Fixed broken local mode.
  • Fixed `Warning: DefaultHostName setting is not applicable to this computer!` message when using a public domain name.
  • Fixed work on custom ports (set from command line).
  • Fixed stop of configuration file loading if it have at least 1 erroneous line. Now only really fatal errors will break loading of the file.
  • Added `OnHeader` detection rule to sets of edits. Now it is not need to uncomment in webone.conf PNG->GIF converting by hand, it will be automatically enabled for browsers with very old User-Agent header (Netscape 1-3, IE 1-3).
  • Default configuration file (webone.conf) now can be not only in the current directory, but also in system common configuration file directories too. The correct places for it is `./webone.conf`, `installation_dir/webone.conf`, `~/.config/WebOne/webone.conf` (`%AppData%\Webone\webone.conf`) or `/etc/WebOne/webone.conf` (`C:\ProgramData\WebOne\webone.conf`).
  • Directory to save temporary files now can be set manually through `TemporaryDirectory` option. `%TEMP%` and `$TEMP` can be used in it too.
  • Experimental Debian and RedHat packages for amd64/armhf are available to download.
    On Kubuntu 18.04 it is installing perfectly. And uninstalling (remove/purge) too.

Download link: https://github.com/atauenis/webone/releases/tag/v0.10.1

2×Soviet ZX-Speccy, 1×MacIIsi, 1×086, 1×286, 2×386DX, 1×386SX, 2×486, 1×P54C, 7×P55C, 6×Slot1, 4×S370, 1×SlotA, 2×S462, ∞×Modern.

Reply 102 of 218, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

32-bit version have no limitations on 64-bit Windows. Previously I've used "Any CPU" model in Visual Studio settings which works on both 32-bit and 64-bit systems in native mode. But after adding support for cross-platform building it been broken and I don't know how to re-enable it. MSDN have no info (exactly, all of it is related to .NET FW 4.8, but there are nothing for .NET Core). Then tried to open an issue on their bug tracker, but seems that this model is forgotten in .NET Core and noone knows how to compile combo EXEs for both x86/x64 systems (like was in classic .NET Framework all the time). Seems it was a hidden feature of Visual Studio 2019, and when I started using dotnet CLI tools, the feature has dead.

2×Soviet ZX-Speccy, 1×MacIIsi, 1×086, 1×286, 2×386DX, 1×386SX, 2×486, 1×P54C, 7×P55C, 6×Slot1, 4×S370, 1×SlotA, 2×S462, ∞×Modern.

Reply 103 of 218, by Roman343

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
fotios wrote on 2020-05-06, 16:12:

Thanks for the update!
Is there a 64bit Windows version?
Tested WebOne.0.10.1.win-x86.Full.zip and it seems to work great. No issues so far.

Hello, I have windows 10 under virtual box in High Sierra - how do I install this thing ? There are no EXE files and no instructions. Please help.

Reply 104 of 218, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Install .NET Core Runtime, and run WebOne.exe from WebOne.0.xx.y.win-x86.Full.zip archive. Then configure Virtual Box to network bridge mode and disable firewalls (to make the VM visible by host).

Reply 105 of 218, by comp_ed82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ATauenis, thank you for the hard work you've done in contributing & maintaining this project for the community.

It's been very useful for allowing my older systems to connect to newer web sites using vanilla operating systems (i.e. no dark KernelEx sorcery on 98 and no aftermarket patching on Win2k) and period-appropriate browsers.
Even on semi-modern systems like my Core Duo Mac Mini running OSX Snow Leopard, being able to use older browsers can make browsing faster than using the latest browsers with higher CPU & RAM requirements.

A few notes for other readers:

While the latest WebOne will run on Windows 7/2008 R2 with the latest LTS .net core runtimes, you should take care to get the right one (x86 for the latest version) and to make sure the core OS is fully updated. I'd been having some SSL problems connecting to about 10% of sites I use (examples: www.thechive.com, www.minergate.com, dfarq.homeip.net) no matter what client OS/browser I used,until I got the idea to try the same version of WebOne on my Windows 8.1 gaming machine... and the connection problems vanished.

Cannot load this page […]
Show full quote

Cannot load this page

The SSL connection could not be established, see inner exception. Authentication failed, see inner exception..
URL: https://dfarq.homeip.net/
WebOne Proxy Server 0.10.1.0
on Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1

Attachments

• dfarq error.JPG
    Filename
    dfarq error.JPG
    File size
    19.7 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 106 of 218, by t9999clint

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll be restarting my work on my WavePi project soon, and I'll be looking into integrating this into it. I'll let you know how well it runs on Linux for ARM cpus (if it runs at all).
I figure I can probably use it to get the Raspberry Pi to act as a Router for the vintage PC passing through all tcp:80 http traffic through your program. FFMpeg support might be a little interesting, but we'll just have to wait and see.

That'd be pretty neat though, use the RasPi as a serial modem connected through WiFi for those old DialUp feels. Maybe even integrate a modem dailup soundeffects as it connects to the world wide web. <3
I'll probably just have it connected through the Ethernet port though as that's just too slow for me. 15min for 1 mb. No thanks *shudders from 56k PTSD flashbacks...*

My Youtube Channel: https://www.kor.ninja/
My Soundfont Project: K.O.R. Soundfont Project V.5.0
My Soundcloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/clint-theriault

Reply 107 of 218, by Roman343

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ATauenis wrote on 2020-05-10, 11:17:

Install .NET Core Runtime, and run WebOne.exe from WebOne.0.xx.y.win-x86.Full.zip archive. Then configure Virtual Box to network bridge mode and disable firewalls (to make the VM visible by host).

Is there an actual macOS version, or do I need to use virtual box and have windows installed ? Where do I find .NET Core Runtime ? I did download the full WebOne.0.xx.y.win-x86.full.zip - under virtual box where do I find network bridge ? And this will allow Mac OS 9 to view most of not, all websites ?

Reply 108 of 218, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Roman343 wrote on 2020-05-13, 07:18:

Is there an actual macOS version, or do I need to use virtual box and have windows installed ?

Try Linux 64-bit version (from deb/rpm archive content) and run in Terminal through dotnet WebOne.dll command. The next version (0.10.2) will be available in native OSX executable format.

Also the next version will be available in 64-bit Windows version too (v0.10.0 and previous was as universal binaries for Win32/64, v0.10.1 have this universality broken).

Where do I find .NET Core Runtime ?

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet- … s-x64-installer

under virtual box where do I find network bridge

VirtualBox-Bridged-Network-Adapter.png

And this will allow Mac OS 9 to view most of not, all websites ?

With Netscape 9 - yes. It is similar to Mozilla 1.7, which currently can open most of websites. At least, the text content of them.

t9999clint wrote on 2020-05-12, 16:11:

I figure I can probably use it to get the Raspberry Pi to act as a Router for the vintage PC passing through all tcp:80 http traffic through your program.

Almost right. WebOne is not a Application-Level Gateway for tcp:80 port, but can work in similar mode for web browsers configured to use 80-th port of Pi as HTTP proxy server.

Now I'm working on adding FTP proxy support, it will be included in a some future release (0.10.2/0.10.3/0.11?). So it will be possible to use Active-mode FTP clients through NAT.
Probably somewhen I'll add similar support for POP3/SMTP protocols. But they are more difficult than FTP, more like HTTP.

Reply 109 of 218, by t9999clint

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ATauenis wrote on 2020-05-13, 10:58:
t9999clint wrote on 2020-05-12, 16:11:

I figure I can probably use it to get the Raspberry Pi to act as a Router for the vintage PC passing through all tcp:80 http traffic through your program.

Almost right. WebOne is not a Application-Level Gateway for tcp:80 port, but can work in similar mode for web browsers configured to use 80-th port of Pi as HTTP proxy server.

I remember finding a Linux program that will act as a application proxy server and redirect to a normal proxy. I don't remember what it was called though. I'm sure I can get it running with webone when I have the time to find it again.

Edit: I remembered that Squid also does this, but it's a little too heavy weight IMHO

Last edited by t9999clint on 2020-05-13, 15:35. Edited 1 time in total.

My Youtube Channel: https://www.kor.ninja/
My Soundfont Project: K.O.R. Soundfont Project V.5.0
My Soundcloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/clint-theriault

Reply 110 of 218, by James Gryphon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought I'd try this out to boost an old Mac (running OS 9.2)'s increasingly limited internet capabilities, but I've quickly discovered I have no clue about basic things. Instead of wasting time in vain, I thought I'd cut to the chase and just ask:

1a) How do I find my relevant IP or hostname or what have you in Ubuntu? (An IP seems like the most likely to succeed - a name like 'clementine' (the output of the 'hostname' command) doesn't seem like it'd cut it, and it didn't seem to do anything when I did try that, anyway. )

(Another thing that may complicate this - the networking scheme is in sort of a daisy chain; the gateway is accessed via an Android phone, which serves as a Wifi dongle via easytether-usb on my Ubuntu main machine, which is then connected to the G4 via ethernet cable.)

2) Does the WebOne CLI app provide any feedback at all when it has been accessed (after the 'listening for HTTP 1.x' message)? It seems difficult to tell otherwise whether you're actually successfully accessing the proxy, or else missing it somehow and using a normal connection.

Reply 111 of 218, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
James Gryphon wrote on 2020-05-13, 15:33:

1a) How do I find my relevant IP or hostname or what have you in Ubuntu?

Try to see in network properties or run "ip addr" in Terminal. The hostname (e.g. 'clementine') is not that is need (it is working only between Windows Servers and Windows PCs).
Or it can be determined by accessing proxy status page on the proxy PC (the right window):

findIP.png
Filename
findIP.png
File size
270.28 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The left is a page from my router, which telling same IP for the machine.

Don't forget to set DefaultHostName setting in webone.conf to the real IP of the machine. If it is dynamic, it should be edited on every start.

James Gryphon wrote on 2020-05-13, 15:33:

2) Does the WebOne CLI app provide any feedback at all when it has been accessed (after the 'listening for HTTP 1.x' message)?

Yes.

log.png
Filename
log.png
File size
247.28 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 112 of 218, by ckweb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wanted to thank you for working on this much-needed proxy server!

Older computers have purpose, period. Web access should not be kept from older hardware and OSes. Your project makes that happen for many older systems. Some run them in emulation, some on real hardware, some have mini systems, like those that run on Android; mine is like this.

I hope to contribute my feedback once I get the server working on my Windows 10 PC. So far, I have done the following:

1. downloaded and installed .NET Core 3.1.4 Runtime from dotnet.microsoft.com: dotnet-runtime-3.1.4-win-x64.exe
2. downloaded and installed WebOne 0.10.1 for Windows full from GitHub: WebOne.0.10.1.win-x86.Full.zip
3. modified the line in webone.conf to include my host PC's IP address: DefaultHostName=10.10.10.100
4. added webone.exe to my Windows Firewall UDP and TCP exceptions: both on port :80
5. rebooted my PC after the installations and webone config and firewall configurations

Plex, ubooquity and hfs file servers are running fine on my Windows PC. However, WebOne does not appear to be running. I made sure the .NET Core files are present and I placed the WebOne files in my Public User directory: C:\Users\Public\Apps\WebOne and I tried to see if the server was listed running netstat -a -b using cmd, but it was not present in that list.

I think I have followed all the installation steps correctly, but I am likely missing something, forgot to do something or I may have installed the wrong software on my PC. I thought it could run on Windows 10, but maybe I was wrong? If anyone has any ideas as to how I can get my WebOne server install running, I will be very thankful for any help or suggestions! And if I should be asking somewhere else, please excuse my goof in advance.

I am very excited to try your server out for my old laptops and retro-pc emulators!

Last edited by ckweb on 2020-05-16, 15:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 113 of 218, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The current version is needing 32-bit Runtime even on 64-bit Windows.
All other is right.

Reply 114 of 218, by ckweb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you, ATauenis!

I like to describe my process 100% to help others who may follow the same steps and get stuck like I did. The 32-bit .Net Core Runtime makes perfect sense, actually. 32-bit programs and server helper services like this one are almost always 100% compatible in 64-bit systems probably by default. I usually pick 64-bit versions unless there are no 64-bit program versions available for possible extra environment benefits, but often that's where I get stuck! In the future, I will try to remember to try out 32-bit versions of any program when I troubleshoot the program.

Again, I want to thank you very much for creating this wonderful resource! It's already a very useful tool that will help preserve an important legacy web functionality that has been lost to evolving web protocols. I can't wait to use it! 😀

Update: I uninstalled the x64 version (64-bit) of .Net Core Runtime and installed the x86 version (32-bit), then restarted Windows. I ran WebOne.exe as admin and used Chrome on another device to go to: 10.10.10.100:80/ but it didn't connect. I tried localhost:80/ on my server's browser. Then I tried localhost:80/!/ and another device's browser to see if I could access WebOne's server diagnostics page, but it also failed to load. It appears WebOne wasn't running based on my attempts. I usually read a program's read me files and manuals, follow online guides or manuals and ask on user forums when I have trouble, and I share how I was able to fix something after I have found a solution. I needed to track down the reason WebOne wasn't working.

Then I found my own mistake: the .Net Core Runtime has several downloads; I downloaded and installed the ASP.NET in error. I uninstalled that version and downloaded the correct version. I restarted my PC again and I had already configured WebOne to start when Windows started; however, doing this doesn't run WebOne as admin. I closed the server window and ran WebOne as admin. Success!

Notes:
1. The main .Net Core Runtime page link is: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/core/ … vots=os-windows
2. The .Net Core Runtime install versions link is: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-core/3.1
3. The WRONG version (DON'T INSTALL THIS): https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet- … s-x86-installer
4. The RIGHT version (INSTALL THIS ONE): https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet- … s-x86-installer

One lesson I learned: Some servers run on a Command Prompt window! I wasn't aware of this, and I imagined WebOne was running as an invisible process. That was my rookie mistake, but I'm glad I continued to figure out how to make it work, and now it's running fine 😀 I hope this helps out others in the future who like me, are not familiar with how servers run!

Reply 115 of 218, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ckweb, thank you. I will update readme in v0.10.2 and include links or even full FAQ.

ckweb wrote on 2020-05-16, 15:56:
Notes: 1. The main .Net Core Runtime page link is: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/core/ … vots=os-windows 2. The .Net C […]
Show full quote

Notes:
1. The main .Net Core Runtime page link is: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/core/ … vots=os-windows
2. The .Net Core Runtime install versions link is: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-core/3.1
3. The WRONG version (DON'T INSTALL THIS): https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet- … s-x86-installer
4. The RIGHT version (INSTALL THIS ONE): https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet- … s-x86-installer

The last link is still incorrect. 😀 The right version is https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet- … s-x86-installer .

Reply 117 of 218, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

can it be chained? well i have some ideas anyhow.
What I'd like to do is chain it from TOR > WebOne > LAN
A plugin model would be useful for the development of anti adware, spyware, banners Etc to improve retro performance with
features i'd like to see are alternatives of Peerblock (which has a backdoor nasty not stealth), privoxy (give the retro a better time rendering remove ad banners)
TOR proxy feature would enhance proxy stealth make it harder to port scan.
Tor would be slower and perhaps it could be bundled to run via configuration option where user can select automatic public bridge discovery or manual with default option of off.
Lastly can it be useful for WebOne to masquerade as say an open source modern web browser as to not give away its identity a kind of smokescreen.
My ideas are slightly paranoid but e all know how old our retro is and so do hackers waiting to exploit out of boredom.

Reply 118 of 218, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zapbuzz wrote on 2020-05-29, 14:38:

can it be chained?

Currently WebOne have no plugin support, but any external things may be performed via hidden or regular (i.e. 302) redirect to any URL of that thing's processor (an external HTTP server). In older versions it was used to convert images (the "external" converter was semi-external really).

What I'd like to do is chain it from TOR > WebOne > LAN

Probably this may be made by adding a Tor gateway (virtual network interface) in Linux. So if all browsers/wget/curl will work through Tor, WebOne also will work over Tor.

Lastly can it be useful for WebOne to masquerade as say an open source modern web browser as to not give away its identity a kind of smokescreen.

On HTTP level it is very easy:

[Server]
UserAgent=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/83.0.4103.61 Safari/537.36

[Edit:.*]
AddHeader=upgrade-insecure-requests: 1
AddHeader=fetch-dest: document
AddHeader=sec-fetch-mode: navigate
AddHeader=sec-fetch-site: same-origin
AddHeader=sec-fetch-user: ?1
AddHeader=accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/webp,image/apng,*/*;q=0.8,application/signed-exchange;v=b3;q=0.9
AddHeader=accept-encoding: gzip, deflate, br
AddHeader=accept-language: ru-RU,ru;q=0.9,en-US;q=0.8,en;q=0.7
AddHeader=cache-control: max-age=0

This will not mask anything on TCP and JS/CSS levels, however, some servers will think that the client is a modern browser.

My ideas are slightly paranoid but e all know how old our retro is and so do hackers waiting to exploit out of boredom.

Probably, most of exploits over than 10 years are forgotten by bad guys, and even IE6/Win98 should be safe in WWW now.

Reply 119 of 218, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Version 0.10.2 is ready.

• New architectures are available: Windows 64-bit, Windows 64-bit Full, Windows IoT ARM, macOS.
  • New experimental architecture: Windows 32-bit Self Contained (for servers without .NET Core).
  • Fixed install on Fedora from RPM.
  • Added log file. It is /var/log/webone.log on Linux and %AppData%\webone.log on Windows systems. However, any other file can be used too.
  • Time in log file and in console is now local (instead of GMT).
  • IP addresses of all clients are now recorded to log file.
  • Because older browsers have no Developer Tools, WebOne now can dump HTTP headers in a separate log file for each request. Use AddHeaderDumping or AddRequestDumping edit rule if need.
  • New command line arguments: --log, --temp, --port, --hostname, --proxy-authenticate, --dump-headers, --dump-requests.
  • Added short syntax for common edit sets ([Edit:.*]). Now they may be written as [Edit].
  • Fixed error 400 when using Microsoft Web Folders (WebDAV).
  • Updated FFmpeg and Youtube-dl to latest versions (only in Windows Full builds).

Download link: https://github.com/atauenis/webone/releases/tag/v0.10.2

Roman343 wrote on 2020-05-17, 18:12:

Atauenis, let me know when the native MacOS version comes out.

😉
I haven't tested it (have no Mac/Hackintosh) so don't know if it working. Probably, should.