Dosbox 0.75?

Topic actions

First post, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good morning,

In dosbox site :

Ideally, 0.75 should have been released by now, but some bugs took a lot longer than expected.

it was in June 2019

I don't know if it is the good section of forum but I would like to know if dosbox 0.75 is still in development or if it has been cancelled.

Thanks by advance and good luck for dosbox developers because dosbox is a very good software for dos games.

Reply 3 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So the thread doesn't get derailed, this topic concerns the official version of DOSBox, all other discussions should go in seperate threads or to the forums where the software being dicussed is supported.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 14, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tertz wrote on 2020-05-16, 20:16:

Seems the next significant improvement should be x64 code of dynamic core for x64 build. It exists in current SVN and improves the speed a lot.

Where can I download the faster version of DOSBox, please?

Reply 6 of 14, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can;
1) Download the code from SVN (source code repository), and compile it yourself.
2) look for a DOSBox SVN build that someone else did
3) Try one of the DOSBox forks, which typically include the code from SVN plus more (DOSBox ECE, DOSBox-X, etc).

Reply 7 of 14, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK. Google finds DOSBox SVN r4338 - 2020-04-29 on http://www.emucr.com/search/label/DOSBox. Is that what you mean?

Also, is there a benchmark program I can use to test the relative speed of DOSBox versions, please?

Reply 8 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Pcpbench is a good benchmark.
Or timedemo of Doom

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 14, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kerr Avon wrote on 2020-05-17, 15:32:

There was a talk about significantly faster new SVN x64 builds. Maybe some place hosts x64 builds of recent SVN. Emucr does not, for example, despite 64-bit Windows is common today.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 12 of 14, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tertz wrote on 2020-05-18, 00:22:
Kerr Avon wrote on 2020-05-17, 15:32:

There was a talk about significantly faster new SVN x64 builds. Maybe some place hosts x64 builds of recent SVN. Emucr does not, for example, despite 64-bit Windows is common today.

Since the 64 bit versions are presumably not too common at the moment, from the sound of it, I'll wait until they are more in use. For the moment I'll stick to the tried and tested 32 bit versions, in case there is a good reason why 64 bit versions of DOSBox aren't more prevalent. As you say, b4 bit versions of Windows are everywhere nowadays, and I'd imagination most 32 bit versions of the OS still in use are on pretty old machines that only see legacy use, such as older games, an offline laptop for the young er kids to play on, an older PC that's been used for years to do a small company's accounts and orders, etc.

Would DOSBox being 64 bit confer much of a speed advantage by itself, though?

_Rob wrote on 2020-05-18, 16:27:

Go to https://dosboxece.yesterplay.net/download/ and download the non-ECE build if you want vanilla DOSBox SVN.

Great, just downloaded, thanks.

Reply 14 of 14, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kerr Avon wrote on 2020-05-21, 16:19:

in case there is a good reason why 64 bit versions of DOSBox aren't more prevalent

They are expected to coexist with x32. The best would be place x32 and x64 SVN builds together alike dosbox-x does. And maybe to place a note about more possible issues of x64 build with the recommendation to try x32 build if problems exist.

> Would DOSBox being 64 bit confer much of a speed advantage by itself, though?

According to the linked above discussion, for some games it can be significant several tens of %.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide