VOGONS

Reply 2280 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

received my package today, thanks shock__ !!!
now to find again that BOM - I assume it's the same as the previous version?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2281 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote on 2020-05-08, 10:13:

The most-recently-published BOM for the RC-1 design was here.

Reply 2282 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
640K!enough wrote on 2020-05-08, 15:53:
keropi wrote on 2020-05-08, 10:13:

The most-recently-published BOM for the RC-1 design was here.

allright since it's the same I will manage 😁 thanks!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2283 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Glad to hear parcels are slowly reaching their destinations 😀
Now if only DHL would refund the bounced parcel (started a claim 2 weeks ago).

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 2284 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am thinking of soldering the max SOJ dram of 4MB on this board , will I miss anything in regards of soundfont loading? (have no idea, never messed with them ...)
thanks!

Reply 2285 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you mean in comparison with larger SIMMs?
You won't be able to mess with big soundbanks (I can't recall any except the well-known Utopia that actually benefits much from 16mb and requires 8mb as a minimum), the rest should work fine with 4mb.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 2286 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

hmmmm ok I will research utopia bank, I have the files but I never messed with it tbh
thanks for the info hard1k!

edit: this can be loaded from DOS and used there, right?

Reply 2287 of 3172, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote on 2020-05-09, 11:58:

Glad to hear parcels are slowly reaching their destinations 😀

Got my RC1 PCB today, shock__. Thanks!

I will start assembling during the weekend, looking forward to it.

Reply 2288 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote on 2020-05-11, 13:23:

edit: this can be loaded from DOS and used there, right?

As is often the case with the InterWave (and EMU8000), the answer isn't quite so simple. While it is possible to load and use RAM-based banks from DOS, I am not aware of too many big-name DOS titles that supported that feature explicitly. It looks like most software just looked for and used whatever bank happened to be in the on-board ROM. I will do more testing if/when I have time to work on the RC-1 board, but it looks like most software was not hard-coded to expect the standard 1 MiB Eye & I ROM; whatever is there will be used.

The standard DOS PLAY.EXE, as one of the included utilities, does support loading and using RAM-based banks, which serves as proof that it can be done. The "problem" with the approach taken by the InterWave (and EMU8000) is that these features are partially software-driven, so each application has to be aware of the need to load the instruments, where/how to get the bank, as well as how to tell the chip to play the data. It seems most developers didn't bother.

It is worth repeating that playback quality benefits significantly from at least some RAM, even when using a ROM-based bank. If you are not going to be doing any significant experimentation with RAM-based banks or using trackers to play large MODs (or similar), you will generally have enough with 4 MiB of on-board RAM. Software written for GF1-based cards can't use more than 1 MiB; most demos won't need more than 4 MiB; and for game music played from the standard ROM bank, that will also be more than enough.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that, while the BOM for the RC-1 board is mostly the same, there should be at least a few differences. Compare the two before ordering, or you may end up being a few parts short.

Reply 2290 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

See: Re: Newly made Gravis Ultrasound compatible cards ... what's the degree of interest?

For my personal situation ... I guess I never updated you guys. I'm still in my tiny storage room for now, but got a renting contract for a small, but very decent flat, remotely close to the area of Berlin which I consider my home in walking distance to my workplace. Due to the C-thing I haven't been able to move yet, but that's scheduled for mid of June. Mental health wise after being close to my worst in over 10 years, I'm currently doing quite good 😀 Getting a bit tired of my boring and underwhelming day job, but as long as the money keeps coming I can live with that.

[Z?]

Reply 2291 of 3172, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shock__ wrote on 2020-05-14, 11:01:

Getting a bit tired of my boring and underwhelming day job, but as long as the money keeps coming I can live with that.

So, just like the rest of us. 😉

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 2292 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yup ... nothing out of the usual I'd say 😉 On the other hand, I'm working ~70 hours less per month and still earning pre-Corona money, so that's cool.

[Z?]

Reply 2293 of 3172, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ARGUS RC1 #03 reporting for duty! 😎

ARGUS_RC1_#03.jpg
Filename
ARGUS_RC1_#03.jpg
File size
1.88 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I assembled the card during the last couple of evenings, it was a really smooth process and the PCB quality is excellent! I am also pleased to report that I was able to flash the EEPROM and the card got detected by the drivers without issue.

My initial tests on a P133 (basically all the shareware games and sample files that come bundled in the GUS PnP CD) show that everything is working as expected, and I have to say it sounds great! I used a Samsung 16MB 70ns SIMM (one sided) for the RAM, no problems there either with detection or memory test.

I'm still kind of a n00b when it comes to GUS (never had one back then and was unable to participate in the earlier ARGUS prototype) so I'll be investigating in order to perform more in-depth tests in the coming weeks. If you want me to test something specific just let me know, I'll also try to get some recordings.

So congrats to shock__ and everyone else involved in this project, this is awesome!

Now... the card is desperately asking for a bracket, has the community effort to produce these for the production run gone dead? I'd be willing to pay (assuming it's a reasonable amount) in order to have a good looking metal bracket!

Reply 2294 of 3172, by Whiskey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all, me again.

Thanks TheMobRules for the help with the BOM.

Now the only thing I'm still struggling to find a suitable replacement for is the Headphone Amplifier chip. I have a few what I think are suitable but with a limited knowledge of audio circuitry I don't know for sure if they are ok to use.

Some clarification for the amp chips requirements would be great.

Narrowed it down to OPA1692IDR or STI TS482

EDIT: The original UltraSound Max used JRC5532D amps which have a modern clone NJM5532 which also look like a suitable candidate, perhaps?

They all have pinouts that match MS6308 and TDA1308.

EDIT2: My RC1 PCB arrived today, I'm keen to get the components ordered so I can put it together. Is there a post that covers the EEPROM flashing? I don't remember if it's handled by the pnpcfg executable or if we need to flash with a TL866 or the like.

EDIT3: eeprom is flashed from Dos after the card is assembled. I have ordered the STI TS482IDT amp chip, only difference according to the data sheet is it outputs 100 mW instead of the 80 mW the TDA1308 does, will report of how well they work as an alternative. (please pm me if you think this is a terrible idea thanks!)

Cheers

I stream retro games every wednesday here & I dump the recordings here

Reply 2295 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheMobRules wrote on 2020-05-16, 17:33:

ARGUS RC1 #03 reporting for duty! 😎

Wow ... soldering looks amazing 😀

TheMobRules wrote on 2020-05-16, 17:33:

Now... the card is desperately asking for a bracket, has the community effort to produce these for the production run gone dead? I'd be willing to pay (assuming it's a reasonable amount) in order to have a good looking metal bracket!

Nothing planned from my side, except for DIY brackets made from PCB material ... maybe. If anyone wants to take over production of proper brackets I'm absolutely cool with that. Otherwise salvaging from SB Vibra cards still is an option - those usually line up fine if one uses elevated 3.5mm sockets.

[Z?]

Reply 2296 of 3172, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Keystone still makes standard sound card brackets: https://www.keyelco.com/product.cfm/Brackets- … product_id/2500

However they have a gap between 1st and 3rd audio jack. So it won't fit with this particular board. But future revisions could take that into consideration.

Good thing is that they are even stocked by Mouser: https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/Keystone- … Yp94ElzsQ%3D%3D

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 2297 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The price is quite close to a used Vibra that fits perfectly except for the outstanding metal part (I don't know how it is called - ear, eye, stand-off?..) that uses a screw to attach to the PCB, right above the upper jack. Btw the Keystone part has it too.

I've already mentioned it several times here, that a mounting hole in that area of the PCB would be great for those who opt to use Vibra brackets, but haven't received any support unfortunately despite no design change would be involved, there is nothing to move there, just put a hole and that's it.
I've had to drill my ARGUS proto2 manually, and now the Vibra bracket fits like a charm. I still strongly recommend to make a hole there as it will definitely make life easier for many of us.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 2298 of 3172, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hard1k wrote on 2020-05-19, 15:05:

The price is quite close to a used Vibra that fits perfectly except for the outstanding metal part (I don't know how it is called - ear, eye, stand-off?..) that uses a screw to attach to the PCB, right above the upper jack. Btw the Keystone part has it too.

I've already mentioned it several times here, that a mounting hole in that area of the PCB would be great for those who opt to use Vibra brackets, but haven't received any support unfortunately despite no design change would be involved, there is nothing to move there, just put a hole and that's it.
I've had to drill my ARGUS proto2 manually, and now the Vibra bracket fits like a charm. I still strongly recommend to make a hole there as it will definitely make life easier for many of us.

I agree with your second point, but cannibalizing a Vibra, even though it's a Vibra, seems wrong. I would think it more sustainable if we design our devices around available components, if possible.

YouTube and Bonus