VOGONS

Reply 15400 of 27168, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-05-18, 01:29:

Made a dual BIOS for my M912 V1.7 board with Award BIOS (found one that is Y2K compliant, but detects the CPU as a DX4-120 and stuck at write-thru mode for the CPU) and AMI WinBIOS to do some benchmarking and see which one works better of the two.

I didn't know you can just swap BIOS like that. Is that true for any 486 motherboard? As in, can I just take a motherboard with a SIS chipset and AMI BIOS and swap it for an Award BIOS from another SIS-based model?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 15401 of 27168, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Redid the patch wires on my ALS100. This time following Daniël Oosterhuis' advice, I used copper wires instead, and properly trimmed, twisted and tinned them. I also lowered the temperature to 325C. Still looks a bit charred and molten, but it's an improvement.

IMG_20200519_183149.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200519_183149.jpg
File size
975.24 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

As for the sound, it sounds slightly better than before recapping, (not surprising considering one of the old caps had started leaking) but it still sounds a bit muffled and noisy. I wonder, what else can be done to improve the sound on it? Other than just printing a high quality board and installing the sound chipset there. 😀

Reply 15402 of 27168, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tonight I finished the build on my dx4 100 system.

ga-486vs
amd dx4 100
16mb ram.
Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Stereo pro.
VLB I/O controller that I repaired from this thread: Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today
Cirrus Logic CLVGA542XVL/H VLB VGA
1gb CF.

The top CDRom is broken and just for show. I dont have any plates to blank off the gap.

Finished the build underneath it on friday

Jetway 994AN-L
P3 850 @ 952mhz
512mb ram
Voodoo 3 3000 @ 180mhz
Soundblaster AWE32
16gb CF

Attachments

• IMG_3278.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3278.jpg
    File size
    114.53 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 15403 of 27168, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro is one of the best cards out there.

Fixed the power issue on my Packard Bell as the SSD, CD drive, and CPU heatsink lost power and moved some cables around and got my drive bracket installed all the way this time. Also did a benchmark on the machine with Speedsys and it's pretty good.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 15404 of 27168, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally started cataloguing my sound cards with a spreadsheet. Decided to start with Creative ISA cards. Thirty of those and counting...

Reply 15405 of 27168, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boxpressed wrote on 2020-05-20, 05:39:

I finally started cataloguing my sound cards with a spreadsheet. Decided to start with Creative ISA cards. Thirty of those and counting...

I love a good hardware spreadsheet - very cathartic to put together and curate. It also allows me to put comments in like where I got it which is great; my memory is pretty shocking.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 15406 of 27168, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's a lot of Creative cards. I should start cataloguing too . I have about 8 ISA Creative cards and about as many PCI ones. I only have one PCI Express one that I bought used .

I stopped buying Creative cards when they stopped making decent front panels . The SB0250 was the Pinnacle of the "live drive", IMHO . Everything after that kinda sucks, IMHO .

EDIT: I still use a PCI X-FI Platinum in a PCI Express slot using a PLX bridge under Windows 10 .

Reply 15407 of 27168, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had a misbehaving 3 1/2 floppy drive (write errors) that I cleaned and lubed ro no avail . I set it aside for eventual full disassembly .

The first spare I tried blew the magic smoke after its motor started spinning like crazy on first seek .

The second spare I tried worked fine . I now only have 2 spares left, plus the flaky drive .

The flaky drive is a Panasonic, are any of those known for bad caps ? Are Panasonic drives typically direct drive or belt driven (maybe it needs a new one of those).

Reply 15408 of 27168, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also have one of these.. and too many sound cards.. I also have about 30+ Creative cards I believe..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 15409 of 27168, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had a chance to test out my Dell 2001fp in 15khz mode. It is before mid-2005, so it is working perfect with both C64 and native Amiga-RGB signal. I have a small video up on my Youtube channel, were I have it running on my Amiga600.

EDIT:
If I turn off the monitor, it will not remember the image and screen position settings. (15khz signal settings only, not 31khz) However, having those written down on a piece of paper, makes it easy to set it up again. It is only pixel clock, phase, horisontal/vertical-position and aspect-ratio that I have to set. It is working perfect for Amiga and C64. If I use the scandoubler that are in my Amiga600, then there are absolutely no issues. It remembers all setting's then. Now I have to test the monitor, to see how it behaves on AT system's. That is if it works with my ISA, VLB and PCI vga cards. If tested working, then this is as close to the "holy grail" in LCD monitors for vintage computers, that you can get. If only it remembered the settings, then it would be the absolute best of all. VGA, DVI, Composit and S-Video input. I am pleased with this monitor so far.

For people asking what model it is. Then it is an Dell 2001fp from Feb. 2004. Models of this monitor, made after the middle of 2005 (june or july) are not working with 15khz input.

Last edited by brostenen on 2020-05-20, 08:46. Edited 3 times in total.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 15410 of 27168, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TechieDude wrote on 2020-05-19, 13:48:

Shit, and I used it at 399C. That explains it... As for the patch wires, I DID in fact strip them, but the insulation melted anyway. Also, they're aluminium wires. Next time I work on the card, I'll replace them with copper ones and I'll keep in mind to twist them and tin them, so it will definitely look better. It really isn't my first soldering attempt though. I've worked on motherboards and graphics cards (much newer too) with no issues at 399C, so I really was surprised with what happened with the ALS100, and thought it was the cheap-ass card, but now I know better. Thank you for your feedback.

You may actually have tinned copper wires, not aluminum. You can find that out by scraping one of the ends with a knife, the copper's specific color should appear. Either way, both of them are shit and I avoid them as much as possible. I always use pure copper wires.

As for the bodge job, as long as it makes good contact between the points and it doesn't touch other metal things nearby, I consider it a success (having done such job myself on other stuff I own). It's not like you're fixing rockets, it's just a cheap sound card.

Unless you are dealing with thick power rails, you don't usually need 400.C on your soldering station. You can get around this by adding fresh leaded solder to the parts in question, it will lower the melting point of the solder.

Reply 15411 of 27168, by FazzaGBR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today (and the last few days) I have mainly been messing about with my Samsung UMPC:

Samsung NP-Q1u - Copy.png
Filename
Samsung NP-Q1u - Copy.png
File size
563.61 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Now that I have the Tablet Edition of Windows XP on it, the plan is to put FUSE on it and relive my youth by playing some old ZX Spectrum games on it! It's about the same size as the Nintendo Switch and the battery still holds a couple of hours of charge so perfect for handheld gaming, assuming I can get on with the keyboard that is!

If anyone's interested, Ive even done a quick YouTube video on using the restore disc which was 'interesting' as despite me selecting English UK during the setup, it ended up being in Russian so I spent nearly and hour trying to work out how to change it to English UK! I'm assuming I must be able to edit the answer file within the ISO I got from the Internet Archive and change the language settings from Russian to UK - just need time to look in to that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRbTFJp0m-M

My personal website blog: https://www.retrocomputing.co.uk/ and my new Retro Computing YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8UT2gm3EvNl2tvomN7reg

Reply 15412 of 27168, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-05-20, 02:40:

The Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro is one of the best cards out there.

Fixed the power issue on my Packard Bell as the SSD, CD drive, and CPU heatsink lost power and moved some cables around and got my drive bracket installed all the way this time. Also did a benchmark on the machine with Speedsys and it's pretty good.

I was very surprised as I had read it would be very noisy. My experience is the opposite. It is the cleanest sounding ISA soundcard I have and I am very happy with it.

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 15414 of 27168, by FazzaGBR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Aztec Soundcards - now there’s a blast from the past! My Escom PC had one of those in it and it always sounded great to me 😀

My personal website blog: https://www.retrocomputing.co.uk/ and my new Retro Computing YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8UT2gm3EvNl2tvomN7reg

Reply 15415 of 27168, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2020-05-20, 06:56:

I also have one of these.. and too many sound cards.. I also have about 30+ Creative cards I believe..

making lists is tedious... but fun :3

it also prevents you from "accidentally" buying something twice x3... trust me.

Reply 15416 of 27168, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Swapped out the E5200 Pentium Dual Core in my XP box for a full-fat E8400. . . they cost pennies now. Currently doing some old-school overclocking on the cheapest motherboard (G31M-ES2L) because I could never afford to be in the 4GHz club back in those days - maybe today.

Reply 15417 of 27168, by RetroLizard

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote on 2020-05-20, 07:49:

For people asking what model it is. Then it is an Dell 2001fp from Feb. 2004. Models of this monitor, made after the middle of 2005 (june or july) are not working with 15khz input.

I have a Dell 2000FP, and it has all four types of input options: VGA(D-Sub) , DVI, S-video, and Composite. Really nice monitor to have, especially for older consoles with Composite video output.

Reply 15418 of 27168, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote on 2020-05-20, 05:46:

I love a good hardware spreadsheet - very cathartic to put together and curate. It also allows me to put comments in like where I got it which is great; my memory is pretty shocking.

darry wrote on 2020-05-20, 05:56:

That's a lot of Creative cards. I should start cataloguing too . I have about 8 ISA Creative cards and about as many PCI ones. I only have one PCI Express one that I bought used .

I stopped buying Creative cards when they stopped making decent front panels . The SB0250 was the Pinnacle of the "live drive", IMHO . Everything after that kinda sucks, IMHO .

EDIT: I still use a PCI X-FI Platinum in a PCI Express slot using a PLX bridge under Windows 10 .

appiah4 wrote on 2020-05-20, 06:56:

imi wrote on 2020-05-20, 10:52:

making lists is tedious... but fun :3

it also prevents you from "accidentally" buying something twice x3... trust me.

Yes, I am enjoying this process. I like it because my physical cards are spread out across different parts of the room, and some are in builds. Making a spreadsheet allows me to "collect" them into the same space virtually. It's quite soothing.

For many of my SBs, I can note the board revision and DSP. Plus, it helps you visualize your collection needs by attribute (CQM/OPL3, PNP/non-PNP, etc.).

And yes, I am doing it so that I don't end up with more duplicates.

Reply 15419 of 27168, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I removed a dead Dallas RTC and replaced it with a socket last night. Partially successful operation as I kind of destroyed half of Pin 1's solder pad in the process, but what remains of it works - I checked for continuity on every pin. Phew.

Biostar-MB-8433-UUD-A-DS12887-A-Socket-01.jpg Biostar-MB-8433-UUD-A-DS12887-A-Socket-02.jpg Biostar-MB-8433-UUD-A-DS12887-A-Socket-03.jpg

Biostar-MB-8433-UUD-A-DS12887-A-Socket-04.jpg

As for sound card spreadsheets.. How about a you show me yours I show you mine kind of thing? Because you know, everyone likes a.. list measuring contest, no?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.