Common searches

Welcome to the updated VOGONS

Topic actions

Reply 641 of 743, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think we should globally limit signatures. Maybe let users disable their display on their end if they want. Forum software should have an option for that. Most sigs here aren't that bloated anyways.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 642 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Paralel wrote on 2020-05-16, 23:05:

I think Appiah4 makes a strong point. Every forum I have been a member of has had explicit signature image number, height, and size.

Agreed. Signatures shouldn't be THAT big. There must be a limit in height, width, and size.

After all, our avatars do have the same rules enforced by the forum.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 643 of 743, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can somebody point me to a signature that causes issues? I use mine for usefully links.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 644 of 743, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2020-05-17, 00:50:

I don't think we should globally limit signatures. Maybe let users disable their display on their end if they want.

Maybe? Every forum software I've ever used allowed signature view to be disabled. If there ever is a forum that takes this option away, you won't see me there.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 645 of 743, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-05-17, 01:41:

Can somebody point me to a signature that causes issues? I use mine for usefully links.

Here: Re: Need for speed 3 Hot Pursuit on Win98SE

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 646 of 743, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-05-17, 05:59:

Here: Re: Need for speed 3 Hot Pursuit on Win98SE

Still doesn't seem problematic to me, he could have put it inside one of those "click to expand" boxes though like you use if your dumping a log.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 648 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, just set a rule where users must use maximum of 4 lines per signature. Anything above that, just add "click to expand". This way anyone who want to see their useful links from other users, will have to click. Better for us - less scrolling.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 649 of 743, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

4 lines may be a bit strict, but anyway the number of lines is irrelevant when someone just uses a gigantic image instead of text.
On the other hand... it should be possible to limit the displayed height of the signature to 100 pixels, or 6 em heights (for example), and make it expand only when clicked. That should work regardless of the content.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 650 of 743, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is what your signature looks like on a mobile phone, it takes a lot of screen estate:

Screenshot_20200521-104951.png
Filename
File size
254.95 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Last edited by cde on 2020-05-21, 10:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 651 of 743, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It shouldn't be number of lines, IMO. It should be number of characters and number of pixels (for images). something like 256 chacters and 100px usually works for other boards..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 652 of 743, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a # of characters limit, my old-board one was longer than that (because of multiple BBCode links) but it got grandfathered in when we changed over. When I changed it I had to keep it under the new limit. Maybe they should be collapsed by default on mobile? I've used Cyclone3D's XG resources a few times & wouldn't want to see those buried.

Images in sigs could be shrunk/collapsed, or have a pixel height limit, although I'm not a fan of them in general - that's what avatars are for. Nobody's seems really obnoxious yet though.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 653 of 743, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Obnoxious signatures are supposed to be reported to the moderators so we can come to an understanding with the user 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 654 of 743, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone notice that the mouse icon got smaller after a Windows 10 update? I use a bigger mouse icon since it's hard for me to see a small arrow on the screen.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 655 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-05-21, 17:32:

Anyone notice that the mouse icon got smaller after a Windows 10 update? I use a bigger mouse icon since it's hard for me to see a small arrow on the screen.

Build 2004 has been released ? I have to get it.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 656 of 743, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-05-21, 17:32:

Edge had a bug where it didn't apply the custom mouse cursor that this page is using - so I guess that's been fixed now.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 657 of 743, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With my eyesight, I cannot see the pointer very well at all.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 658 of 743, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cde wrote on 2020-05-21, 08:52:

This is what your signature looks like on a mobile phone, it takes a lot of screen estate:

Well.. I tried shortening it so each link would only take one line on mobile but it won't let me save the changes because it says the max is 255 characters and I am using 407.... so it will just have to stay until I can figure something out.

BBCODE should not count towards the character limit but it does. Not sure if there is a way to fix that but there should be if there isn't.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 659 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can still reduce it without being too redundant. I know these are three different Yamaha stuff, but still, you could for example, make a topic about Yamaha stuff, put the links there, and just keep one link for that topic.

But it's just a suggestion, the way I worked that suggestion is how my mind works, I guess it works for me.

JOBS, Steve.