Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 34100 of 52617, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Purchased:
Compact Flash-IDE adapter with 4GB card.

Background:
Disaster struck!

While installing Windows for Workgroups 3.11, the installer kept having trouble finding the C: drive. I was able to retry a few times and get Windows installed, but the hard drive started acting very erratically, sometimes taking 30+ seconds just to list a directory in DOS. I wondered if something was maybe wrong with the Windows installation, so I deleted Windows and cleared the autoexec.bat/config.sys files, and then reinstalled DOS. Still no good. Went in and reconnected the IDE cable and power cable, but it only got worse; the BIOS could only detect the HD once every 3-4 times I tried.

This morning I went and checked and one of the pins on the IDE connector on the HD had fallen into the connector. I tried gently pulling it back out, but it snapped! I could probably solder it back to together, but I actually would rather not deal with HDs anymore haha.

Reply 34101 of 52617, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
newtmonkey wrote on 2020-05-22, 04:49:
Purchased: Compact Flash-IDE adapter with 4GB card. […]
Show full quote

Purchased:

Background:
Disaster struck!

While installing Windows for Workgroups 3.11, the installer kept having trouble finding the C: drive. I was able to retry a few times and get Windows installed, but the hard drive started acting very erratically, sometimes taking 30+ seconds just to list a directory in DOS. I wondered if something was maybe wrong with the Windows installation, so I deleted Windows and cleared the autoexec.bat/config.sys files, and then reinstalled DOS. Still no good. Went in and reconnected the IDE cable and power cable, but it only got worse; the BIOS could only detect the HD once every 3-4 times I tried.

This morning I went and checked and one of the pins on the IDE connector on the HD had fallen into the connector. I tried gently pulling it back out, but it snapped! I could probably solder it back to together, but I actually would rather not deal with HDs anymore haha.

First time I hear of that happening . I have however had a broken SATA connector on a drive .
CF adapters have pins too and they are more fragile than those on a 3.5" hard drive . I hope you are more lucky with your CF adapter .

Reply 34103 of 52617, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EvieSigma wrote on 2020-05-22, 03:15:

I got this beauty in off eBay, an AST Premium Exec 386SX/20 from early 1992. I'm genuinely amazed it works at all, though I cannot get into setup no matter how many times I press CTRL+ALT+ESC.

What does pressing F1 do?

Reply 34104 of 52617, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could be a keyboard issue. Did 386 laptops have an external keyboard port on them or not?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 34105 of 52617, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
newtmonkey wrote on 2020-05-22, 04:49:
Purchased: Compact Flash-IDE adapter with 4GB card. […]
Show full quote

Purchased:

Background:
Disaster struck!

I know what you're dealing with, have had a similar problem with an old hard drive. Gentle pressure applied to get the pin back and soldered back onto the board (actually three times, because I tended to use a bit too much solder and had to redo). Felt a little fragile in the connector. Applied a little bit of super glue and now works like a charm again!

The CF adapter is great to get east file transfer on a modern computer. Speed is fast compared to old drivers and its reliable.
One cons to me are: the sound of a spinning and rattling hard disk. can't have a too quiet AT-ish computer. And it's not really period correct... But can get over it if I have to... 😀

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 34106 of 52617, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got this beauty in off eBay, an AST Premium Exec 386SX/20 from early 1992. I'm genuinely amazed it works at all, though I cannot get into setup no matter how many times I press CTRL+ALT+ESC.

same here 😀 do You possibly have any knowledge of the internal connectors? i would love to know the pin layout; 5 megs ram and still working original HD here ; would love to up the graphics and the lcd if possible;
i dont see the message that you are getting; check the battery? the wiring to the keyboard might simply be broken..

Reply 34107 of 52617, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
waterbeesje wrote on 2020-05-22, 10:10:

I know what you're dealing with, have had a similar problem with an old hard drive. Gentle pressure applied to get the pin back and soldered back onto the board (actually three times, because I tended to use a bit too much solder and had to redo). Felt a little fragile in the connector. Applied a little bit of super glue and now works like a charm again!

The CF adapter is great to get east file transfer on a modern computer. Speed is fast compared to old drivers and its reliable.
One cons to me are: the sound of a spinning and rattling hard disk. can't have a too quiet AT-ish computer. And it's not really period correct... But can get over it if I have to... 😀

Thanks for posting! I considered breaking out my soldering iron, but the HD had failed while in the middle of a format, so who knows what state it's in haha. I actually was getting slightly annoyed at the hard drive noises, as my case has the hard drive mounted on the side next to an opening for a fan or something, so it was surprisingly loud!

Was pretty depressing to go from everything working great and having a ball playing Wing Commander and Ultima Underworld, to heading off to bed with a non-functioning PC. I only discovered the broken pin this morning, so I honestly had no idea what was wrong with the PC when I went to bed last night; was worried I would have to spend all weekend swapping parts in and out, ordering test parts, etc.

Reply 34108 of 52617, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've gone crazy and paid too much for this (not the listing price they wanted on ebay, but still too much)

wd90c33-zz.jpg
Filename
wd90c33-zz.jpg
File size
287.94 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

No idea about how good performance will be, but it is a reasonably uncommon card, so that makes it intersting for me.

Need an ISA WD90c11 to sate my nostalgia though.

Reply 34111 of 52617, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

...I cannot get into setup no matter how many times I press CTRL+ALT+ESC.

Are you sure all keys work? I have an old 486SX laptop whose Ctrl key does not work and it only has 1 Ctrl key 😢

Reply 34112 of 52617, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought these for$nz40 plus $nz20 delvery www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2628708387 The seller will drop them of at my place. He lives 60kms away. All I really wanted was the LCD montitor. Also to null-modem and a 4 port parallel port switch turned up.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 34113 of 52617, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just got this french Schneider EuroPC 😀
jU94Uzyl.jpg

It's in a rather good shape externally even though it's dirty, but I can't see any cracks or broken parts in the plastic. Unfortunately it's missing a key, but it's not a really important one.
On the inside however, the battery obviously has started doing its mess
GU6h4XAl.jpg
7JnS0fCl.jpg
FTmMmhZl.jpg

I've tested the computer but for now, it doesn't POST. I'll have to clean up that mess and find out which traces may be bad ...

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 34114 of 52617, by APFSDS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
EvieSigma wrote on 2020-05-22, 00:18:

What socket is the BW7? Looks like Socket 478. I have a homeless ABit IC7-G that's probably the board that succeeded this one. It's very picky about RAM density, it reads my Kingston HyperX DDR400 1GB modules as 512MB each.

It's a socket 423 board, i put a p4 2.0GHz in it and 256mb but still does not show any signs of life.

Reply 34115 of 52617, by APFSDS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-05-22, 02:14:

With my EVGA 680i if the bios battery goes dead the board won't boot. I'd recommend checking the bios battery on it

I tried that already I didn't work. The Cpu works though so I don't know what the problem could be, looking at old forums it seems the post code led -- was a common problem.

Reply 34116 of 52617, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
devius wrote on 2020-05-22, 12:35:

...I cannot get into setup no matter how many times I press CTRL+ALT+ESC.

Are you sure all keys work? I have an old 486SX laptop whose Ctrl key does not work and it only has 1 Ctrl key 😢

I did manage to get into setup via an external keyboard but I must have set the hard drive wrong because it still gives me a "disk controller failure" error.

Reply 34117 of 52617, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought these two cards for 3 EUR. It's nothing special (I believe), but everytime I see a DOS compatible component in a local sale, and for a small amount of money, I usually buy it.

Attachments

• IMG_9542.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_9542.JPG
    File size
    841.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 34118 of 52617, by henk717

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It was an ebay auction so it was tense until the last second, but i managed to grab this beautiful 6800GT for $62.62 .
The seller took good care of it by cleaning the card, reapplying thermal paste and doing excessive benchmarking before the auction.
EQ78Laa.jpg

It is the GIGABYTE 6800 GT AGP version with 256MB of VRAM (GV-N68T256DH) , i have done some research on this forum beforehand and from what i saw this one does not contain the bridge chip.
While i know the nvidia drivers can cause some issues with hangs on shutdown i read people having success with the card under Windows 98, yet this card supports Shader Model 3.0 and is officially supported by the Nvidia Driver. It will be used in my planned TimeMachine build where i aim to get a system that supports the widest range of games i can get away with.

The part list so far is :
- ASUS A8V
- Athlon 64 X2 4200+
- EVGA 6800 GT AGP 256MB of VRAM
- AOpen AW744L II

Which should make it a neat PC for the mid 2000's while retaining compatibility with MS-Dos and Windows 98 if i use some memory manager tricks to limit the visible ram the OS gets assigned (HIMEMX + Rloew Patch) combined with some slowdown utilities.

Edit: Seller accidentally listed GV-NX (PCI-E model) corrected the post to reflect the actual model of the card since it is the AGP version.

Last edited by henk717 on 2020-05-23, 00:59. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 34119 of 52617, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
henk717 wrote on 2020-05-22, 21:41:

in my planned TimeMachine build where i aim to get a system that supports the widest range of games i can get away with.

Post some pictures when you build this beast 😀