VOGONS

Pentium MMX-233 DOS gamer dream machine.

Topic actions

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a new project. Still in Quest of a great DOS computer.
I want to build a DOS gamer dream machine from around 1995
I am not looking to build a period correct computer but instead a versatile DOS gaming computer to
play old and modern DOS games in good quality.

I want to base it on the Pentium 75 or 133 or 233mmx

Why ?

I think this maybe around the time that the Intel CPU reached it's most versatile point.
It could play old DOS games and Modern DOS games.
You can run this Pentium CPU at normal speeds or at 386 speeds.
Allowing you to play a large assortment of DOS games.
This CPU could also run Win95 and WinNT-4.0
Which was the turning point when the Pentium CPU began to dominate all of the computer market back in 1990's.

Here are the parts I have so far.

Specs:
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-586ATX2 ATX Socket 7 Intel 430TX chipset\ ( would not posts )
Motherboard - Asus TXP4 Baby AT with Intel 430tx chipset. ( 1998 )
https://www.asus.com/supportonly/TXP4/HelpDesk_Manual
CPU - Pentium 75 thru 233 ( 1995 for testing )
Cache - 512kb
RAM - 64mb PC-100 CL2 ( the smallest capacity I have though 16mb would have been enough ).
Video card - S3 trio 64 with 2mb ram ( 1994 )
Sound card - Sound Blaster Pro 2.0 Sound Blaster AWE64 ( 1995 )
Network card - 3com 3c509 ( 1993 )
Hard drive - 6gb Western Digital or CF card
Floppy drives - 3.5 and 5.25
CDROM - Sony 52x
Case - Beige ATX , Brand ?
Power supply - Brand ?

Operating System - DOS 6.22 and Win3.11

Attachments

• socket 7 asus.jpg
    Filename
    socket 7 asus.jpg
    File size
    570.57 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • SB Pro 2.0.jpg
    Filename
    SB Pro 2.0.jpg
    File size
    119.07 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • S3 trio64.jpg
    Filename
    S3 trio64.jpg
    File size
    293.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • pentium 133.jpg
    Filename
    pentium 133.jpg
    File size
    74.36 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Creative CDROM 52x.jpg
    Filename
    Creative CDROM 52x.jpg
    File size
    191.34 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2022-05-26, 11:35. Edited 17 times in total.

Reply 1 of 81, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A pentium mmx might give you more slow down options using setmul. And with all those ISA slots why not get a midi card and maybe a GUS or PAS16? And with those extra pci slots you might want to get a voodoo1....bit beyond 1995 but it's a good early DOS 3d card.

Reply 2 of 81, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's pretty much the computer that I had in '96. Congrats on a great build!

One suggestion: swap out that SBPro for a SB16. That Pentium can run late era DOS games without any issues, and you'll want 16-bit sound for stuff like Crusader: No Remorse and Master of Orion 2.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 81, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks guys, I am still looking to build a really good DOS computer to play old 386 games and modern DOS games so your input is appreciated.

I do have a Sound Blaster 16 with Yamaha OPL3 too ( CT1774 and CT1770 ).
I may have a working Voodoo 3 3000 PCI
I have a PAS16 too. It is ISA.
I will test with Pentium 75 thru 233 to see which works best.

But I think I am on the right path with this Intel-TX motherboard.

Reply 4 of 81, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm thinking about starting a project like this as well, as my first PC was 133 pentium based back in 96.

Instead of trying to piece everything together I'm leaning towards finding a complete system for sale.
Really like to get the "pizza box" type of case, along with a 15" CRT to stack on top of it.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 5 of 81, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
buckeye wrote on 2020-05-08, 13:07:

I'm thinking about starting a project like this as well, as my first PC was 133 pentium based back in 96.

Instead of trying to piece everything together I'm leaning towards finding a complete system for sale.
Really like to get the "pizza box" type of case, along with a 15" CRT to stack on top of it.

That’s a good idea. I just wanted a motherboard with modern bios and lots of slots. And I really like the ATX form factor for. Socket 7 with intel 430tx chipset.

But I do have an IBM Aptiva tower with Pentium 200 and 233 and AMD 333. They work great too.

Reply 7 of 81, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some more photos.
I have not decided on a case yet.

Attachments

Reply 8 of 81, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is the Case.

Attachments

Reply 9 of 81, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Case arrived today.
This thing is really heavy. Made of thick gauge steel construction.

Attachments

Reply 10 of 81, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check out this really cool case.
It is made of thick gauge steal, It’s really heavy. It’s built like a TANK.
The Motherboard tray swings out.
I got lucky in that it came with the exact motherboard back cover that I needed.

It’s a really nice case.

Attachments

Reply 11 of 81, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally I'm not a huge fan of ATX cases which mount the PSU in this particular way. I used to call them "slot ATX cases" since the direction of airflow which a PSU mounted in this manner would only make sense to me when the system contained a Slot 1/A motherboard with a CPU with stock HSF as this would provide airflow from the side instead of trying to suck air in the exact opposite direction the PSU seemed to want to pull air.

The motherboard tray looks nice in how it can be demounted and it certainly looks sturdy and well build 😀

Perhaps the best about this case could be how non-yellowed it is! It really seems like brand new 😜
It looks like a case which could actually have an AT sister case, made in the era when both AT and ATX existed side by side for a while.

Building an ATX pentium 1 system is one of those things which remained on my todo list for years now 🤣
Perhaps some day 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 81, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote on 2020-05-18, 21:04:
Personally I'm not a huge fan of ATX cases which mount the PSU in this particular way. I used to call them "slot ATX cases" sinc […]
Show full quote

Personally I'm not a huge fan of ATX cases which mount the PSU in this particular way. I used to call them "slot ATX cases" since the direction of airflow which a PSU mounted in this manner would only make sense to me when the system contained a Slot 1/A motherboard with a CPU with stock HSF as this would provide airflow from the side instead of trying to suck air in the exact opposite direction the PSU seemed to want to pull air.

The motherboard tray looks nice in how it can be demounted and it certainly looks sturdy and well build 😀

Perhaps the best about this case could be how non-yellowed it is! It really seems like brand new 😜
It looks like a case which could actually have an AT sister case, made in the era when both AT and ATX existed side by side for a while.

Building an ATX pentium 1 system is one of those things which remained on my todo list for years now 🤣
Perhaps some day 😜

I was not paying close attention when I purchased this case. I just saw it listed as NEW and it looked like a nice ATX case.
I did not realize the PSU was mounted this way. I don’t know why they mounted the PSU this way and left a lot of empty dead space where
The typical ATX PSU would go.

Reply 13 of 81, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For a '95 build I'd probably go with a 430FX motherboard with a COAST module even though they're less reliable, because it's the "wave of the future". The Trio64 is a good choice, but I think in 1995 everybody wanted a Matrox Millenium. SB16 was popular, but wavetable cards like the AWE32 were the ones that all the big shots had in their systems.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 14 of 81, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-05-19, 07:01:
I was not paying close attention when I purchased this case. I just saw it listed as NEW and it looked like a nice ATX case. I d […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote on 2020-05-18, 21:04:
Personally I'm not a huge fan of ATX cases which mount the PSU in this particular way. I used to call them "slot ATX cases" sinc […]
Show full quote

Perhaps some day 😜

I was not paying close attention when I purchased this case. I just saw it listed as NEW and it looked like a nice ATX case.
I did not realize the PSU was mounted this way. I don’t know why they mounted the PSU this way and left a lot of empty dead space where
The typical ATX PSU would go.

I was also wondering about the dead space in the top of the back of that ATX case 😜
And it's still a great find, seeing how these cases are not everywhere to be found anymore. They are disappearing, so getting one which is NIB and of this quality is quite a good find 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 81, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-05-19, 14:24:

For a '95 build I'd probably go with a 430FX motherboard with a COAST module even though they're less reliable, because it's the "wave of the future". The Trio64 is a good choice, but I think in 1995 everybody wanted a Matrox Millenium. SB16 was popular, but wavetable cards like the AWE32 were the ones that all the big shots had in their systems.

Yes, this build is NOT entirely period correct as my Goal is to build a 3-in-1 computer.
One that can run at 386 and 486 and Pentium speeds.
The aim is to be able to play the most DOS games in good performance. I found my 486dx4-100 build to be slow and
Would stutter when playing some DOS games.

So I wanted to find a good motherboard with newest BIOS options. I don’t have an EPROM programmer so
I am not capable of flash bios chips.

I just wanted a quick solution to my build.
I really like this Full size ATX motherboard and the bios is dated AWARD 1997.

1995 build I am referring to is the CPU, Video card, and Sound card for Best DOS game play compatibility for year 1995.

Reply 16 of 81, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since I could NOT get the Gigabyte motherboard to work I have a NEW Motherboard.
It’s an Asus TXP4 Baby AT motherboard that actually works better with this case.
It is small and the CPU socket is on the lower right side so it is easy to access and swap out if I need to.

It is working great.

I am able to clock this computer down to a 386sx-33 and 486sx-33

I just need to run some tests.

I am going to experiment with different Pentium CPU’s ( 75, 133, 200, and 233 )
To see which would work bests for playing old DOS games.

I can already tell this computer is much faster than my 486dx4-100

Attachments

Reply 18 of 81, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2020-05-21, 07:04:

Ok, that cooler is about as overkill as it gets..

Yeah, but it fits perfect on this motherboard and it has the same 3-pin fan power connector.
And it is silent too.

Very Nice cooler.

Reply 19 of 81, by PC-Engineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-05-19, 14:24:

You are so right ... 😀
In September 1995 i built my first dream PC without compromises: P133 with ASUS P55TP4XE + 256kB PB COAST, 16MB RAM, Matrox Millennium 2MB and an AWE32 CT2760 (Takeover from my 486er, bought in 1994).

Epox 7KXA Slot A / Athlon 950MHz / Voodoo 5 5500 / PowerVR / 512 MB / AWE32 / SCSI - Windows 98SE