VOGONS

Reply 60 of 106, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try to boot not only HIMEM from 6.22 but fully DOS 6.22 from another disk.

PARUS wrote:

I recommend first to boot clean MS-DOS 6.22/7.10 from boot floppy or CD and try ek1m v0.49.

It's interesting about VIA. This utility has been tested on 440EX/BX, 845, 850, 865 and SiS 661FX+964. I have also VIA KT333+VT8235 system but don't remember about checking on it. Need to try.

Reply 61 of 106, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARUS wrote:

It's interesting about VIA. This utility has been tested on 440EX/BX, 845, 850, 865 and SiS 661FX+964. I have also VIA KT333+VT8235 system but don't remember about checking on it. Need to try.

It works perfectly with VIA KT133A+VT82C686B (Abit KT7A + Athlon XP 2200) so it's not a 'general' VIA problem.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 62 of 106, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have been attempting to get this working with a SB16 with its output connected to an Audigy 1, but haven't had much luck. Hoping someone can guide me in the right direction... I believe if I am interpreting the config file I have all inputs set to 100% on the analog front port (second one up from the firewire port). I am trying to make all audio from the line out and analog CD audio of the SB16 play through the Audigy's speaker output.

I setup the following config file and loaded it with the -F switch:

; ekm config, ver. 107
; ------------------------------------------------------------
-boot -d off

; ac97
-as line
-ai line 100
aux 0
cd 100
tad 0
mic 0
beep 0

; mix matrix
; input afront dfront arear drear acenter dcenter spdif2
-io ac97 100 0 0 0 0 0 0
-io spdif0 100 0 0 0 0 0 0
-io spdif1 100 0 0 0 0 0 0
-io spdif2 100 0 0 0 0 0 0
-io i2s0 100 0 0 0 0 0 0
-io i2s1 100 0 0 0 0 0 0
-io i2s2 100 0 0 0 0 0 0
-io wave 100 0 0 0 0 0 0
-io synth 100 0 0 0 0 0 0

; output levels
; afront dfront arear drear acenter dcenter spdif2
-o 100 100 100 100 100 100 100

Reply 64 of 106, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SuperSirLink, I can make two remarks. First, if you don't use Audigy's SB16 emulation set wave+synth levels to 0, otherwise you'll get parasitic digital noise. Second, if AC97 is configured as one-channel tract the volume level is 50 only and always, not depends on your level set up. If you want to set it higher/lower please replace "-as line" value to "-as mix" value. Then you'll can set one-few AC97 channels to 100 and others to 0.

darry, yes! 100% yes!

Reply 65 of 106, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PARUS wrote on 2020-05-22, 12:50:

SuperSirLink, I can make two remarks. First, if you don't use Audigy's SB16 emulation set wave+synth levels to 0, otherwise you'll get parasitic digital noise. Second, if AC97 is configured as one-channel tract the volume level is 50 only and always, not depends on your level set up. If you want to set it higher/lower please replace "-as line" value to "-as mix" value. Then you'll can set one-few AC97 channels to 100 and others to 0.

darry, yes! 100% yes!

Cool. Thank you . I thought I had a first gen Live Drive somewhere, but I only found a CT4660 digital breakout cable , but that does not have analogue input . Will keep looking or buy one .

Reply 66 of 106, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PARUS wrote on 2020-05-22, 12:50:

darry, yes! 100% yes!

Thanks for the reply PARUS, I am not sure where wave and synth is used, but I was assuming those were responsible for playback of the 8-bit and 16-bit voice in DOS games, and synth was midi music in DOS games. Is that not a correct assumption? My goal is only to get DOS games to play through the Audigy, not into midi music production or anything complicated like that. I am not getting any audio to passthrough with that config.

I will try the -as mix setting and report back.

Reply 68 of 106, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

so changing -as line to -as mix in my cfg file didn't seem to change anything.

Am I correct that in that this is the command I should be launching in my autoexec.bat

path-to-folder\ek2m.exe -f mixer.cfg

with that in my autoexec, if I run ek2m -v -c I get an error exiting with code 0xB100 (-79 0) and states that hardware is not initialized and mixer is not loaded.

Reply 69 of 106, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SuperSirLink, not exact 😀 If directory with mixer.cfg file is not current (even if it is present in PATH environment) you must type full path:
<path-to-folder>\ek2m -f <path-to-folder>\mixer.cfg
or
cd <path-to-folder>
ek2m -f mixer.cfg
cd \

darry, on ebay.

Reply 70 of 106, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

darry, for example see this: MSI bracket https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-K31-3012003-S85- … scAAOSwIYdcZWL7
- you may pull out all contacts and plug them into standard 4-pin ("CD-Audio") connectors (analogue "CD", "AUX") and simple 2-pin connector (digital). If you use COAX output you don't need +5V line, if you use TOSLINK output you need +5V power line. Analog "outputs" on bracket can be used as inputs without any issues.

Reply 71 of 106, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PARUS wrote on 2020-05-22, 18:54:

darry, for example see this: MSI bracket https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-K31-3012003-S85- … scAAOSwIYdcZWL7
- you may pull out all contacts and plug them into standard 4-pin ("CD-Audio") connectors (analogue "CD", "AUX") and simple 2-pin connector (digital). If you use COAX output you don't need +5V line, if you use TOSLINK output you need +5V power line. Analog "outputs" on bracket can be used as inputs without any issues.

Cool, thanks. I searched for such brackets, but only saw ones with toslink and RCA jacks .

Reply 72 of 106, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PARUS wrote on 2020-05-22, 18:40:
SuperSirLink, not exact :) If directory with mixer.cfg file is not current (even if it is present in PATH environment) you must […]
Show full quote

SuperSirLink, not exact 😀 If directory with mixer.cfg file is not current (even if it is present in PATH environment) you must type full path:
<path-to-folder>\ek2m -f <path-to-folder>\mixer.cfg
or
cd <path-to-folder>
ek2m -f mixer.cfg
cd \

darry, on ebay.

Okay, changed that. Should it show that it is not initialized after a reboot when running ek2m -v -c ?

Reply 73 of 106, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am still struggling with this, seems like it shouldn't be this hard, but maybe I am missing something obvious...

Using the manual as a reference, I have my SB16 plugged into the line in port, and my speakers connect to line out 1. I want all audio coming into the line in to be sent to the line out. Attempting to go back to the "basics" I am running this command:

ek2m.exe  -b -v -io i2s1 afront 100 -d off

I am making a couple assumptions that may be wrong.
1. I want the card in analog mode since I am not using digital speakers.
2. i2s1 is the internal identifier for the line input connector.
3. afront is the internal identifier for the line out where I have a set on stereo speakers connected.
4. the ports I have chosen in the command match the graphic below.
5. I should be able to use the SB16 diagnose program to test audio output.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=83892

Attachments

Reply 75 of 106, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm, I was really hoping I missed something obvious. Yeah, to be sure I tested the cable on another set of speakers, that works. The Audigy in windows does work, I get sound, and using the VXD drivers. I didn't do any configuration for it for DOS mode.

The SB16 is a non PnP card, I have set the jumpers and diagnose detects the same settings as the jumpers read. 220H/330H, IRQ7, DMA 1,5. The SB16 works fine in DOS when I move the speakers to that card. Also in Windows, if I run diagnose in a DOS prompt and go through and test playback, I am getting sound that is coming through the line in on the Audigy (If I mute the line in under Windows mixer controls it is silent).

I have been trying to set this up in real DOS mode (restart into DOS, not DOS mode), does that matter? Is it possible the command is just not finding my card? Would it help to see my autoexc and config.sys?

Here is what I have:

IMG_2770.jpg
Filename
IMG_2770.jpg
File size
361.43 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_2771.jpg
Filename
IMG_2771.jpg
File size
356.62 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I appreciate the help trying to get this working. I really don't have space and this machine is not permanently set in place. It is something I pull out and setup when I want to tinker and play old games. Just don't have the space to leave it out, this seemed like it was the perfect solution to my wanting to use two sound cards without a lot of external peripherals...

Reply 77 of 106, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just formatted a disk with system files so it has the very min to boot, copied over ekm2 and diagnose.

So looks like this:

IMG_2775.jpg
Filename
IMG_2775.jpg
File size
606.87 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Running diagnose and auto detected each setting, but still didn't hear anything. Just to be sure, I moved the speakers to the output of the SB16 and was able to hear voice and music.

Here is a better picture of the Audigy and SB16 cards...

IMG_2776.jpg
Filename
IMG_2776.jpg
File size
919.8 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_2723.jpg
Filename
IMG_2723.jpg
File size
896.27 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 79 of 106, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Like this?

ek2m.exe -b -v -io i2s1 afront 100 -d off -as line -ai line 100

also tried:

ek2m.exe -b -v -io i2s1 afront 100 -d off -as mix -ai line 100

Sadly, this didn't work from that boot floppy either.

Should I have to enter the -b switch on every command execute, or just once per boot? Is it possible it is just not finding my card, resource issue?