VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 34120 of 52337, by Swiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mpe wrote on 2020-05-21, 19:03:
Compaq ProLiant 1500 CPU board. The SX962 installed just for the beauty shot (came with a regular P120) […]
Show full quote

Compaq ProLiant 1500 CPU board. The SX962 installed just for the beauty shot (came with a regular P120)

DSC_7286-1-scaled.jpeg

That looks just like the Prosignia and Deskpro XL CPU boards. They really reused that architecture quite a bit.

Reply 34121 of 52337, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Funny thing I got a processor card today for compaq XL 5133 too. Been looking for one as I have other parts (slots board, and dead PSU) coming in to go with it.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 34122 of 52337, by henk717

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Turbo -> wrote on 2020-05-22, 22:37:
henk717 wrote on 2020-05-22, 21:41:

in my planned TimeMachine build where i aim to get a system that supports the widest range of games i can get away with.

Post some pictures when you build this beast 😀

Will do, its a long term project so it will take a while before its done.
I do still seek a good atx horizontal case so if anyone knows a fitting case i'd be all ears.

Reply 34123 of 52337, by Swiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interestingly, I managed to find a couple of PPro processor boards for the XL today. They are unsocketed so I’ll need to find a PPro CPU in order to try them out.

Reply 34126 of 52337, by henk717

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aaronkatrini wrote on 2020-05-23, 00:36:

I was watching that 6800 too!
Unique card with that futuristic aesthetic... Congratuations 😀

If you are also in the european region perhaps you where the guy making the last minutes quite tense 😁
I could tell the other person bidding was an enthousiast.

Reply 34127 of 52337, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My collection of old Macs continues to grow, now that I have a PowerMac G4 MDD, seated next to my G3.

Out.jpg
Filename
Out.jpg
File size
293.24 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
inside.jpg
Filename
inside.jpg
File size
531.91 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

As you can see, it's a Dualie, specifically a Dual 1.42GHz model. While I don't have every slot filled for the RAM, it is already maxed out. The only downside is that I can't run OS9 on it, but I'd much rather use my ADB Equipped G3 for stuff that old anyways. Soon I'll run Halo on it for joke purposes, then figure out what I actually wanna do with it for now.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 34129 of 52337, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BetaC wrote on 2020-05-23, 01:29:

My collection of old Macs continues to grow, now that I have a PowerMac G4 MDD, seated next to my G3.

As you can see, it's a Dualie, specifically a Dual 1.42GHz model. While I don't have every slot filled for the RAM, it is already maxed out. The only downside is that I can't run OS9 on it, but I'd much rather use my ADB Equipped G3 for stuff that old anyways. Soon I'll run Halo on it for joke purposes, then figure out what I actually wanna do with it for now.

You totally can, though, with a patched OS 9.2.2 version. Runs fine on my FW800 MDD which was upgraded with a DP 1.42GHz CPU board. OS 9 is stupid fast on it.

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 34130 of 52337, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought a motheboard based on rather uncommon Socket 5 chipset - VLSI SuperCore.

Soon to be added to my Early Pentium Chipsets survey. As soon as I figure out the power connector pinout.

DSC_7302-scaled.jpeg

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 34131 of 52337, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mpe wrote on 2020-05-23, 08:37:
Bought a motheboard based on rather uncommon Socket 5 chipset - VLSI SuperCore. […]
Show full quote

Bought a motheboard based on rather uncommon Socket 5 chipset - VLSI SuperCore.

Soon to be added to my Early Pentium Chipsets survey. As soon as I figure out the power connector pinout.

DSC_7302-scaled.jpeg

Nice!

You will have more challenge to upgrade the async cache on that mainboard 😁

Reply 34132 of 52337, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The last of the parts I ordered arrived today:
- CompactFlash IDE adapter
- CDROM drive

The CFIDE adapter gave me trouble at first as the PC would recognize it but not boot from it, but hddclear got it working. I ended up mounting it right below the 3.5" floppy drive for easy access.
I set up a simple startup menu to enable/disabled the CDROM, which gives me just over 600k without CDROM... so I can run Falcon 3.0 without a boot disk!

Here it is all up and running playing one of my all time favorite games:
DSC-0386.jpg

Reply 34135 of 52337, by daikatana_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I always wanted Pentium Pro, but it was bloody expensive. I just had to get one or two in this case.

Attachments

• pentium_pro.jpg
    Filename
    pentium_pro.jpg
    File size
    1.66 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Game MIDI soundtracks

Retro games and HW reviews

Reply 34136 of 52337, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I decided to collect the missing Chips for my junk AMIGA A2620 card
Bought these (retro) hardware today

I got all 3 from different sources and at the end I paid a lot of money for them (incl. shipping..):
68882 22,50€
68851 30€
68020 11,5€

Hope I get it working, did not test anything so far...

IMG_9130r.jpg
Filename
IMG_9130r.jpg
File size
609.8 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Then I got a backplane to test my SBCs for a much better price:

IMG_9127r.jpg
Filename
IMG_9127r.jpg
File size
881.81 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 34137 of 52337, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Accidentally posted this in the modern hardware thread instead, as I had both this and that thread open in different tabs, oops!

Got this C64 short board today for €27 + €7 shipping. I saw it for sale, and decided to bid a little, and got it for this nice price. The seller hadn't tested it, they noted the power switch was busted, and they had initially gotten it to try and refurb. However, due to a lack of time and skills, they decided to just sell them on. I got it, because I still wanted a second 8580 SID for my beloved childhood C64G (it's like the Aldi model, a Breadbin with the short board and a beige keyboard, although this one uses flat, cheap badges instead of the normal, thick ones). I was hoping most chips would be good, so I could snatch the 8580, and just flip the rest to make back the money, if not make a bit of profit (although I'm not going out for big bucks, I'll offer the ICs up for bidding once I have properly tested them).

Checked the switch, and it was stuck in the on position. However, only one of the power rails that it shorts in order to turn the C64 on was shorted, the other was still essentially off. So I just shorted that by adding some solder to both points and joining them up, permanently setting it in the on position. I first powered it on without the SID and VIC II, to test the voltages with a DMM, which were fine. With the VIC II in, all seemed well. Then, I put in the SID.

My heart sank as the C64 would black screen with it. I quickly dug out my C64G, pulled its heatsinked 8580, and dropped this one in. Hooked it up, switched it on, and... it worked. Loaded up a few tunes written for the 8580, and again, all seemed well. Running the SID Tester program as seen in some of Adrian's Digital Basement's SID-related videos, all the tests came out fine. So, something else is wrong with that donor board that's causing it to not boot with a SID installed. I'm hoping none of the more rare ICs are at fault, these short board's Sharp "SuperPLA" tends to be way more reliable than the original MOS PLAs, and I don't necessarily think the CPU or VIC II are at fault either. Oh well, I will have to experiment some more, although this board annoyingly only has the VIC II and SID socketed, with all of the other main ICs soldered down, and that whopper of a PLA with its DIP-64 package is especially daunting to remove. We'll see, I think I should be able to make back the €34 regardless, and if I do make a bit of profit, put that towards getting some Dual SID boards made.

rF5q9ZJ.jpg?1
Lxcd8bS.jpg?1

Next, I also got this unusual Gigabyte GA-6VA7+ Socket 370 board. It's unusual, for being a Baby AT format board with this socket. I initially paid €20 + €6,75 shipping for it, but the seller got back to me as while packing it, he noticed one of the DIMM slots was busted. He offered to either fully refund me, or, if I wanted, he could also refund me the €20, and still ship it out. Given this board's obscurity, I opted to get the €20 refund and still get it. It arrived with this bracketless Realtek PCI NIC, two DIMMs (one 32MB, the other I think is 64MB), and a bunch of bent pins and caps. Two caps appeared to be bent enough to have the legs pulled out from the cap, which I bent back, but figure are just toast by now. They're just G-Luxons though, given I had some of those puff up and leak on a cheapo ECS VIA S370 board of the same age, it's no big loss. Hopefully it'll still work.

Given it's an obscure board, I plan to do an obscure builds of sorts if it does. Now, this board will support Mendocino Celerons as well as Coppermine Celerons and Pentiums (up to 1GHz) as per the CPU support matrix on the page for this board (Gigabyte surprisingly still has that online), but it appears to do VIA Cyrix III CPUs too. One of the BIOS files on the same page mentions it's been patched to properly display "VIA Cyrix III" in the BIOS, so that means it should at least support Samuel core C3s. I figure one of those, with an obscure GPU and sound card, in an AT case, would make for an interesting build. It's something different from the typical Intel/AMD/3Dfx/NVIDIA/ATi builds. Maybe an S3 MeTaL API card would be an interesting pick, even if it's likely somewhat bottlenecked by the CPU. For soundcard, I'll see what a good pick will be, it definitely will have to be something different from the typical SoundBlasters and such. Maybe PCI, maybe ISA, not sure yet.

JNWEiaA.jpg?1

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 34138 of 52337, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought this multisync TVM MG-11 as a test monitor.
It's monochrome, capable of receiving TTL and analog signals, compatible with MDA, HGC, CGA, EGA and VGA.
It was dirt cheap compared to the color version so it's a poor man's best friend.

Attachments

• DSC_0358.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0358.JPG
    File size
    1.5 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSC_0348.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0348.JPG
    File size
    1.25 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 34139 of 52337, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
henk717 wrote on 2020-05-23, 00:52:
aaronkatrini wrote on 2020-05-23, 00:36:

I was watching that 6800 too!
Unique card with that futuristic aesthetic... Congratuations 😀

If you are also in the european region perhaps you where the guy making the last minutes quite tense 😁
I could tell the other person bidding was an enthousiast.

I didn't bid , but I was so tempted to do so ...😀