VOGONS

My Dream Pentium MMX Build

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by starcube

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

r

Last edited by Qbix on 2020-05-29, 18:23. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 6 of 46, by starcube

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
ShovelKnight wrote on 2020-05-24, 20:49:

Also: I think I will borrow your idea and split my IDE and floppy cables into separate strands to make them more manageable!

I think it makes them so much easier to route. I split mine in bundles of 4 wires so you get 10 "bands" that you then stack on top of each other and zip-tie into a more or less square cable.

Reply 8 of 46, by starcube

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
ShovelKnight wrote on 2020-05-24, 20:52:

My retro PC lives in a very cramped case, I think this could be a godsend.

Good cases are so hard to find nowadays! I got this one from a guy who had a bunch from an old warehouse he bought full of random junk. Most cases he had were damaged but he had a few that were relatively unharmed.

He actually had two of these - a green one and a purple one. He let me swap the clear panel so I could have a purple case with green buttons. 😀

Reply 9 of 46, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
starcube wrote on 2020-05-24, 20:50:
ShovelKnight wrote on 2020-05-24, 20:49:

Also: I think I will borrow your idea and split my IDE and floppy cables into separate strands to make them more manageable!

I think it makes them so much easier to route. I split mine in bundles of 4 wires so you get 10 "bands" that you then stack on top of each other and zip-tie into a more or less square cable.

yep, I did that back around 1999 with my cables before the rounded cables craze really took off, they're much more managable imho... I wrapped them with electrical tape in a few spots instead of zipties.
I did sometimes prefer flat cables though, as you could fold them and so route them completely flat to the case without being in the way of anything.

Reply 10 of 46, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another nice system, and one very close to what I still have on my own todo list!
I also really like the case, good pick 😀

I don't have much else to say about it, I like it 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 46, by starcube

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
lolo799 wrote on 2020-05-26, 09:20:

Cool machine!
Not so many people use Pcmcia adapters in tower or desktop cases, what are you using yours for?

I always thought PCMCIA cards were so cool and wanted to play with them but I absolutely refuse to get into vintage laptops.

The PCMCIA dock was the perfect (and inexpensive) way to accomplish this.

Reply 19 of 46, by starcube

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
imi wrote on 2020-05-28, 15:28:

"The image you are requesting does not exist or is no longer available."

and that is why you upload pictures directly to vogons x3

I deleted them because I no longer want them to be up on this board.

Feel free to report this thread as spam (which it now is) so admins can delete it.