Common searches

Auto Launch Windows 3.1 Games?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 43, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

xcomcmdr's solution is probably worth a try. Otherwise, more details are necessary.

demiurg1981 wrote on 2020-05-21, 19:02:

Game launched but without sound. If you just launch win 3.11 and launch the game within it everything is fine, it has sound.

Are you saying that if you autolaunch civ.exe as you describe, and then close civ.exe and re-open it, you get sound? If you autolaunch civ.exe, exit Windows, re-start Windows, and then manually launch civ.exe, do you get sound then?

Alternatively, try this in your autoexec:

mount c disk_c
path=z:\;c:\;c:\windows
keyb ru 866
c:
cd windows
win c:\civwin\civ.exe
exit

Reply 22 of 43, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
demiurg1981 wrote on 2020-05-22, 14:34:

I'm saying that when I launch windows manually and the manually launch civ it launches with sound.
Otherwise there is no sound.

Need more details. What if you auto-launch Windows without auto-launching Civ? What if you auto-launch Windows with something else and then run Civ?

Reply 24 of 43, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a bunch of Win 3.1 games setup with runexit in DBGL, and it works fine.

win runexit game

For some games it works better if you first CD to the game's directory and then run from there. Just make sure that your windows directory is in the path, and that runexit is also in your path.

Something along the lines of.

[autoexec]
mount c "c:\Users\My User\winroot"
path=z:\;c:\windows
cd \path\to\game
win runexit game.exe
exit

Reply 29 of 43, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
demiurg1981 wrote on 2020-05-23, 20:59:

xcomcmdr
How can I use Startup program group??

He already said how to do that in his post on the previous page of this thread.

demiurg1981 wrote on 2020-05-23, 21:12:

I'm using Launchbox.
And before that I uesd D-Fend Reloaded.
Where can I get runexit??

Runexit is available from the thread linked on the previous page of this thread.

But _Rob's suggestion is an excellent idea even if you do not use runexit. Please try that.

demiurg1981 wrote on 2020-05-23, 21:14:

Whem Win 3.11 starts it displays message that says that my system.ini is corrupted. And that I should reinstall file anthook.386

Please try to understand that this is not helpful. What did you do to get this message? Did you do something different? Did you change something? Am I supposed to guess?

Reply 30 of 43, by demiurg1981

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

During one of my sessions system offered to update DOS 5.50. At first I pressed ok but then it asked to insert windows disk 7, I cancelled the process since I didn't had windows diskettes.
After that it started showing that warning message on startup.
I downloaded windows 3.11 diskettes. So now I can insert one if it will be needed.

Reply 31 of 43, by demiurg1981

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried another game now. King's Quest 6 CD.
I used this:
[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.
@echo off
mount c disk_c
keyb ru 866
cd windows
win c:\sierra\kq6cd.bat
exit

It tries to start game, then shows message: "Your Audio hardware hasn't initialised"
I tried it couple a times, then it suddenly changed message to: "Can't find interp.err"
In either xase it won't go further. And I'm forced to reset the system.

Reply 32 of 43, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
demiurg1981 wrote on 2020-05-24, 00:06:

During one of my sessions system offered to update DOS 5.50. At first I pressed ok but then it asked to insert windows disk 7, I cancelled the process since I didn't had windows diskettes.

I give up. There is no such thing as DOS 5.50 and I have no idea why one of your sessions would offer to update that.

ETA: Apparently version "5.50" is reported by some versions of NTVDM, but that has nothing to do with DOSBox, so I have no idea what you're doing, and I'm tired of guessing.

Reply 35 of 43, by demiurg1981

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Jorpho
What else do you need??
Tech info of my computer??
I already told you everything I've done.
I've done everything you suggested, except runexit. It didn't help.
All I'm trying to figure out is why there is no sound when I autolaunch some games.

Reply 38 of 43, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I auto-launch Windows 3.11 games inside DOSBox all the time.

Do not append a game to win, it doesn't work.

Use this autoexec section in a dosbox conf file :

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.
@echo off
mount c disk_c
keyb ru 866
cd windows
win
exit

This should launch DOSBox with Windows 3.11 without launching any game. Then, open the Program Manager. In it, open the Startup program groupe. With the file menu, put a new "Program" inside the Startup program group .

This entry will have :

Name : Civ II
Target: C:\CIVWIN\CIV.EXE
Working Directory: C:\CIVWIN

Save it, and restart DOSBox with your autoexec conf.
DOSBox should start, which runs the autoexec, which runs windows, which runs your game.