VOGONS

IRQ N/A?

Topic actions

First post, by Nautiwryn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As much as I would have liked my first post to be on a brighter note, it seems I have come across a problem I simply cannot wrap my head around.
I have attached a picture of screen I see when the PC stops doing anything, and the only reason I can think of for why it is doing that is the curious "NA" where there should be a number for the input device's IRQ.
Now for context, I know everything short of the CPU and motherboard are fine because I have used them in other machines, so I'm thinking it's probably the motherboard since it's also giving me CMOS checksum errors and resetting the BIOS despite replacing the battery.

I could also be missing something really stupid on my part, and just need some suggestions or advice to get me going in the right direction. I can accept if the motherboard is junk. I have another one I can use for this build with the only downside being that the processor I have for it is slower- one of those weird AMD Athlon cartridges.

Attachments

• wtf.jpg
    Filename
    wtf.jpg
    File size
    1.72 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 4, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All it means is that PCI device isn't assigned an IRQ. 1102/7002 is the onboard game port device on a SoundBlaster Audigy card. VIA 686 southbridge machines and some Creative PCI soundcards don't get along. Try pulling the card and seeing if the machine boots.

Reply 3 of 4, by Nautiwryn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, I see now that it was something dumb on my part. I tried pulling the sound card anyway for chuckles and it turns out that was where it was coming from, but it made me aware of a new problem, which is that I am still getting stuck on this screen.

For reference, it's more or less the same exact screen as the original, minus that one Input Device with the missing IRQ. During all previous screens I don't really notice anything that could be amiss, so now it's more a matter of "Why am I getting stuck here?"

Again, it could be some catastrophically stupid thing that I am not picking up on. I actually had this issue before with this particular motherboard a while ago when I first got it, but just ended up taking the whole machine apart and putting it on the shelf.