VOGONS

Reply 15600 of 27171, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jheronimus wrote on 2020-05-28, 16:21:
In order to host IPX game I'll need some kind of an IPX simulator like Kali and Kahn. The current plan is for the latter because […]
Show full quote

In order to host IPX game I'll need some kind of an IPX simulator like Kali and Kahn. The current plan is for the latter because there are readily available freeware versions of both client and server. I've decided to use Red Hat Linux 9 for several reasons:

- Kahn is not available for WinNT and I suppose Win9x is a weird choice for a server;
- Red Hat Linux 9 was my first Linux distro ever (well, actually ASP Linux 9, but that was just a localized and reskinned version of RH9 for Russia);
- RH definitely was the most popular distro then, and every developer who ported their software or game to Linux provided an RPM package. It was also very user-friendly for its time;
- having a "final" version kind of takes away the issue of picking a specific version.

server accessible to others. Oh, and find people who are as interested in playing using original hardware as I am 😀

RH 9 was nice alright. Duvuan Linux, a modern init based distro based on Debian should install and run just fine as well. I run Duvuan Jessie on my K6-2 266 test rig with no problems. It also ran fine on the previous P166mmx mobo with 256megs of ram fine as well. Use NetSurf as the web browser.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 15601 of 27171, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Clean and Referb of two Sidewinder 3D Pro joysticks, one is a little finicky n has had some repair work it seems on the PCB (there's a crack but not going through much of anything) both seem to have some factory touch ups so maybe something wasn't quite right at the factory.

Next was fitting a Gotek Floppy emulator to my AMIGA 500, which has already had a Fat Agnus upgrade, however the original floppy drive is K/O (I did service it but it won't load the disks I have, limited selection, found a tiny ballbaring stuck to the magnetic spindle which was clipping on a transistor with every rotation, may account for the drive's death).

Gotek Floppy install was a success which is nice and the AMIGA 500 is not all worky worky and loading games for the first time in many years.

Reply 15602 of 27171, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tried using Audigy 2 drivers on a SBLive 5.1 as that was suggested on several forums. Turns out it works, and the results are quite interesting.

This might just be the ultimate SBLive driver setup from a retro gaming perspective. It gives you VxD drivers with EAX as well as improved SB16 emulation that can load soundfonts in DOS games running under Win98.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 15603 of 27171, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I managed to get Halo barely running on my G4 after installing an airport extreme, so now I can make dumb jokes about this being how it was meant to be played.

image0.jpg
Filename
image0.jpg
File size
1.08 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 15604 of 27171, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally got around to testing the motherboards I recapped (about time!)

The good: I tested the GA-K8VT800PRO with AMD Mobile Athlon 64 3400+ and it POSTed just fine 😀 Why a mobile CPU, you ask? Well, because I didn't have any normal s754 CPUs around, but I DID have an Acer Aspire 1520 where the GeForce FX Go 5700 GPU had gone bye-bye. Who could have thought that these things actually need cooling and not some piss-poor excuse that makes southbridge heatsinks look huge?!

The bad: The Abit KD7 board seems to turn off as soon as it powers, and two LEDs on the bottom right briefly flicker before it powers off, probably indicating something draws too much current. MOSFETs, maybe? Also, that was the only board I've seen with bulging Rubycon caps. Weird.

The ugly: Asus A7NBX-E. This board stays on, but it doesn't POST. It doesn't have a 4-pin header, so being more 5v-dependent, it's probably picky about the PSU. I kinda forgot about it, and left it running. I later noticed some of the brand-new caps I installed had started bulging, which is obviously not good. They are soldered correctly (I'm not making the same mistake twice!) Should I steer clear of RD caps? I hadn't had any issues with them previously, but now I'm getting kinda paranoid... Did I buy my way back into the Capacitor Plague!?

The boring: I also changed two caps on a Foxconn G31MX, right next to the lever on the PCI-E x16 slot, because they were leaking. Haven't tested it though, maybe tomorrow.

Reply 15605 of 27171, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
synrgy87 wrote on 2020-05-28, 21:54:

already had a Fat Agnus upgrade

I saw that there are an Fat Angus recreation in the works. It is FPGA based and will be an 2mb Chipram compatible chip. As of now, it is only the firmware that needs to be written.

I think it is the creator of TerribleFire accelerators, that are develloping it.

Else on the Gotek mod you made. I am thinking about getting a couple of those for my Amiga's. Especially the near stock Rev5 machine that I have fixed up.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 15606 of 27171, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ran into some games I want to play on my DOS machine that are not compatible with EMS, and revising my autoexec.bat/config.sys menu would be a pain and I don't want to make boot disks if I can avoid it, so I just downloaded the philscomputerlab DOS starter pack and modified his files. 😀 Works great, thanks Phil!

I also got a small metal stand for my monitor so I could move my MT-32 to the top of the desk where it belongs!
DSC-0382.jpg
Sadly there isn't enough clearance to also fit the SC-55mkii, so it's down with the speakers now.

Reply 15607 of 27171, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Playing through half life 1 for the first time. It's quite enjoyable. Also checked out THPS2, where have these gems in plain sight been?

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
Soundblaster SB0100 + Altec Lansing ADA885
ATi Radeon X800XT 256MB GDDR3
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 15609 of 27171, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TechieDude wrote on 2020-05-29, 01:20:

Finally got around to testing the motherboards I recapped (about time!)

The bad: The Abit KD7 board seems to turn off as soon as it powers, and two LEDs on the bottom right briefly flicker before it powers off, probably indicating something draws too much current. MOSFETs, maybe? Also, that was the only board I've seen with bulging Rubycon caps. Weird.

The ugly: Asus A7NBX-E. This board stays on, but it doesn't POST. It doesn't have a 4-pin header, so being more 5v-dependent, it's probably picky about the PSU. I kinda forgot about it, and left it running. I later noticed some of the brand-new caps I installed had started bulging, which is obviously not good. They are soldered correctly (I'm not making the same mistake twice!) Should I steer clear of RD caps? I hadn't had any issues with them previously, but now I'm getting kinda paranoid... Did I buy my way back into the Capacitor Plague!?

Sounds like overvoltage from a defective power supply got the better of those. What series were they?

RD caps? Have a picture/specs?

Reply 15610 of 27171, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TechieDude wrote on 2020-05-29, 01:20:

By "RD" you mean the RD series manufactured by Samwha? If so, keep in mind those are general purpose caps and those are not suited for a board like that ASUS which needs low ESR, in particular the larger ones near the CPU. So even if those worked for a time you would start having problems very soon.

Also, given that they bulged shortly after you installed them... are you sure you didn't reverse the polarity? ASUS motherboards are known for having different markings for the positive and negative leads which is very confusing.

Reply 15611 of 27171, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
evasive wrote on 2020-05-29, 18:44:

Sounds like overvoltage from a defective power supply got the better of those. What series were they?

Don't remember, but I think they were MBZ.

RD caps? Have a picture/specs?

The are the infamous Samwha ones, which in hindsight, I should've known better than to use. See below.

TheMobRules wrote on 2020-05-29, 19:00:

By "RD" you mean the RD series manufactured by Samwha? If so, keep in mind those are general purpose caps and those are not suited for a board like that ASUS which needs low ESR, in particular the larger ones near the CPU. So even if those worked for a time you would start having problems very soon.

Also, given that they bulged shortly after you installed them... are you sure you didn't reverse the polarity? ASUS motherboards are known for having different markings for the positive and negative leads which is very confusing.

Yep, they're Samwha. Crap. Also, I have no idea where the hell I can get high ripple, low ESR caps in Greece, if someone could help me at that, I would really appreciate it. Every electronics store I've been to has either those Samwha RDs or other cheap caps at whatever capacitance I ask, or a ziplock bag filled with random caps that may or may not include something close to what I need. It's disgusting.
Also, I put the negative lead into the white side, like almost any board dictates. Isn't that the supposed polarity?

Reply 15612 of 27171, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, I put the negative lead into the white side, like almost any board dictates. Isn't that the supposed polarity?

I suggest you follow some of the traces all the way back to the power connector. There's no '+' sign at all in there?

Reply 15613 of 27171, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
evasive wrote on 2020-05-29, 20:03:

I suggest you follow some of the traces all the way back to the power connector. There's no '+' sign at all in there?

None at all. However, I just noticed that EVERY OTHER cap is the opposite. So there we have it: I put them in reverse, and I had no idea whatsoever that ASUS had it this way. Sigh. Live and learn.

Reply 15615 of 27171, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
evasive wrote on 2020-05-29, 20:15:
oh f*ck. […]
Show full quote

oh f*ck.

at least you know 2 things now:
1) always take pictures before removing stuff
2) you'll have to order your caps online

Indeed. If it's any good, only 2 started bulging. The rest seem fine, and I've already removed them all to check them

Reply 15616 of 27171, by RetroLizard

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Used a GoTek FDE to install MS-DOS 6.22, W3.1, and Soundblaster 16 drivers. Disabled CPU Cache in Bios to make bomb32.exe (Tank Wars) run at a reasonable speed.

Considering getting an old server computer with Windows 2k Server for running an old computer network. Any tips on what hardware to go with?

Reply 15618 of 27171, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been trying to install VLC on my 1st gen iPad, which is basically a paperweight since Vogons was updated and doesn't look right on it anymore (Vogons was the last of my sites that still worked 😋)

I want VLC on there so that I can watch MKV versions of Miami Vice season 1 on there, but getting apps onto iOS 5.1.1 is no easy thing I've discovered - I wasn't up for jailbreaking. Anyway if this all sounds like a waste of time then yes, I was bored.

I'm now converting the MKV to MP4 to see if that works, my Ryzen is ripping through the conversion at 100% so we'll see!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 15619 of 27171, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I dunno if it fits modern or retro, but I am testing latest build of DOSBOX-X to install Windows 98SE and run some 3DFX games. So far the install and updates are going... games next day.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!