VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 34261 of 52813, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Scrap lot for $25. Can't really see what all is in it, but I'm sure there might be at least $25 worth of stuff, 🤣. If anything, I can use it for salvaging ports, connectors, SMD components, memory chips, etc.

Lot was listed as:
16 motherboards, 5 hard drives, 41 sticks of RAM,
13 processors, 7 floppy drives, 15 disc drives, 24 other random boards such as GPUs and other random boards.

Edit, oh snap, I spot a MHz display in the pile of add-in cards hahaha. And 3, possibly 4 older mobo's with ISA. Several ISA and AGP cards.

nvnY7rx.png

weWWrNr.png

oae60MI.png

ZqrFyuW.png

mXdb0h1.png

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 34262 of 52813, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2020-05-31, 18:00:

I ordered 2 spare 3C905 variant Ethernet cards from Eastern Europe . These things have really gone up in price too .

Just last week, I got 9 PCI ethernet cards locally for $20 AU, and an old swollen cap Athlon 64 (754 pin socket) motherboard and CPU thrown in 😀 It included 4 x 3c905 cards and 4 x Realtek 8139 cards (can't win them all I guess)

So I'm all good for PCI network cards now.

But got really lucky there.

Reply 34263 of 52813, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2020-05-31, 20:45:

Edit, oh snap, I spot a MHz display in the pile of add-in cards hahaha. And 3, possibly 4 older mobo's with ISA. Several ISA and AGP cards.

While my inner hardware saviour is screaming at how the boards and cards and just haphazardly stacked on each other, I think you got $25 worth of something there 😀

Reply 34264 of 52813, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
canthearu wrote on 2020-06-01, 01:37:
wiretap wrote on 2020-05-31, 20:45:

While my inner hardware saviour is screaming at how the boards and cards and just haphazardly stacked on each other, I think you got $25 worth of something there 😀

Supposedly the seller is going to individually wrap each component for shipping and use several boxes, so we'll see how it ends up, haha. I have no idea how he's going to ship it across the country for so cheap.. maybe it will end up getting canceled. Who knows.

My Github

Reply 34265 of 52813, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
canthearu wrote on 2020-06-01, 01:35:
Just last week, I got 9 PCI ethernet cards locally for $20 AU, and an old swollen cap Athlon 64 (754 pin socket) motherboard and […]
Show full quote
darry wrote on 2020-05-31, 18:00:

I ordered 2 spare 3C905 variant Ethernet cards from Eastern Europe . These things have really gone up in price too .

Just last week, I got 9 PCI ethernet cards locally for $20 AU, and an old swollen cap Athlon 64 (754 pin socket) motherboard and CPU thrown in 😀 It included 4 x 3c905 cards and 4 x Realtek 8139 cards (can't win them all I guess)

So I'm all good for PCI network cards now.

But got really lucky there.

Wow, that was a nice deal .

Reply 34267 of 52813, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just won this Asus P2B-DS auction with a Make Offer deal for $119. (including RAM and CPU's) Now I can build my dually tually with two Upgradeware Slot-T slocket adapters. Going to load the beta BIOS, do the multiplier and voltage mods, then it should be good to go. I only have to modify one of my Upgradeware cards since it needs the 0 ohm resistor moved to enable SMP. Apparently my other is good to go from a previous owner since it is a rev 1.0 but already in the correct position.

4vEFYU8.png

5FHl2C2.png

My Github

Reply 34269 of 52813, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2020-06-01, 01:55:
Just won this Asus P2B-DS auction with a Make Offer deal for $119. (including RAM and CPU's) Now I can build my dually tually wi […]
Show full quote

Just won this Asus P2B-DS auction with a Make Offer deal for $119. (including RAM and CPU's) Now I can build my dually tually with two Upgradeware Slot-T slocket adapters. Going to load the beta BIOS, do the multiplier and voltage mods, then it should be good to go. I only have to modify one of my Upgradeware cards since it needs the 0 ohm resistor moved to enable SMP. Apparently my other is good to go from a previous owner since it is a rev 1.0 but already in the correct position.

4vEFYU8.png

5FHl2C2.png

witch rev? If I recall only the latter ones work with two tuallys.

Reply 34270 of 52813, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
austinham wrote on 2020-06-01, 02:26:
wiretap wrote on 2020-06-01, 01:55:
Just won this Asus P2B-DS auction with a Make Offer deal for $119. (including RAM and CPU's) Now I can build my dually tually wi […]
Show full quote

4vEFYU8.png

5FHl2C2.png

witch rev? If I recall only the latter ones work with two tuallys.

It is a rev 1.06, latest revision. But any of the revisions will work with Tualatins if you do the proper hardware mods and beta bios. There have been tons of people use improper slockets that say something doesn't work because they feed the wrong voltages or don't do the SMP mod.

My Github

Reply 34271 of 52813, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Technically not a purchase, but an exchange (with a fellow Vogoner and outside of the forum). So other rare parts had to go in the other direction. But this has a new home now:

DSC_7436-scaled.jpeg

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 34272 of 52813, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A few days ago I bought this Compaq Deskpro XE 560

Compaq_Deskpro_XE_560.jpg
Filename
File size
1.04 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It came in a pretty bad shape, the front plastic is very yellowed.
It has a Pentium 60 MHz SX948, a Conner CP3421 540 Mb HDD and a Sony MPF420-4 FDD.
Unfortunately it came with a non original heatsink, glued directly to the CPU with some kind of super glue or something. Anyway, it fell off, but luckily didn't do any damage to the mainboard.

Pentium_60_SX948.jpg
Filename
Pentium_60_SX948.jpg
File size
1.15 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It has only the 8 Mb of RAM soldered to the board, and no cache memory on the COASt slot.
So far I've cleaned the whole system, I need to change the CMOS battery(unfortunately it's soldered to the mainboard) but for now I'm using an external battery.
With the help of a Compaq Diagnostics/Setup disk(sp1363.exe softpaq) I managed to save the BIOS settings and boot the system with a Win95 startup disk.
I have some issues with the floppy drive, sometimes it doesn't want to read the disk.
So far I couldn't boot it from the hard drive, it has DOS 6.22 and Win95 on it, but the system searches for an SO only on the FDD... If I remove the startup disk, it says something like "Missing operating system..."
Also, I need to find an appropriate heatsink/cooler and a way to attach it to the CPU. It's a LIF socket, so it will be challenging. For now I'm using a 486 heatsink with a 40 mm fan, hold in place only by the thermal paste I applied... It's ok for testing, but not for a permanent solution...
For 45 euros I'm happy with it...

Last edited by bearking on 2020-06-01, 09:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 34273 of 52813, by daikatana_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mpe wrote on 2020-06-01, 08:07:
Technically not a purchase, but an exchange (with a fellow Vogoner and outside of the forum). So other rare parts had to go in t […]
Show full quote

Technically not a purchase, but an exchange (with a fellow Vogoner and outside of the forum). So other rare parts had to go in the other direction. But this has a new home now:

DSC_7436-scaled.jpeg

Never seen one with my own eyes. I'd love to get my hands on NexGen one day.

Game MIDI soundtracks

Retro games and HW reviews

Reply 34274 of 52813, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mpe wrote on 2020-06-01, 08:07:
Technically not a purchase, but an exchange (with a fellow Vogoner and outside of the forum). So other rare parts had to go in t […]
Show full quote

DSC_7436-scaled.jpeg

How cool is that? Congratulations on getting a very rare piece of hardware!

Reply 34275 of 52813, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice arrival today, Turtle Beach Maui Wavetable Card. Comes with a Midi cable and i think its populated with 2x4mb modules as the have 4 stickers on them. Will have to confirm later. Very happy to finally own one of these.

XiYHh71l.jpg

Reply 34277 of 52813, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bearking wrote on 2020-06-01, 09:25:
A few days ago I bought this Compaq Deskpro XE 560 Compaq_Deskpro_XE_560.jpg It came in a pretty bad shape, the front plastic is […]
Show full quote

A few days ago I bought this Compaq Deskpro XE 560
It came in a pretty bad shape, the front plastic is very yellowed.
It has a Pentium 60 MHz SX948, a Conner CP3421 540 Mb HDD and a Sony MPF420-4 FDD.
Unfortunately it came with a non original heatsink, glued directly to the CPU with some kind of super glue or something. Anyway, it fell off, but luckily didn't do any damage to the mainboard.
Pentium_60_SX948.jpg
It has only the 8 Mb of RAM soldered to the board, and no cache memory on the COASt slot.
So far I've cleaned the whole system, I need to change the CMOS battery(unfortunately it's soldered to the mainboard) but for now I'm using an external battery.
With the help of a Compaq Diagnostics/Setup disk(sp1363.exe softpaq) I managed to save the BIOS settings and boot the system with a Win95 startup disk.
I have some issues with the floppy drive, sometimes it doesn't want to read the disk.
So far I couldn't boot it from the hard drive, it has DOS 6.22 and Win95 on it, but the system searches for an SO only on the FDD... If I remove the startup disk, it says something like "Missing operating system..."
Also, I need to find an appropriate heatsink/cooler and a way to attach it to the CPU. It's a LIF socket, so it will be challenging. For now I'm using a 486 heatsink with a 40 mm fan, hold in place only by the thermal paste I applied... It's ok for testing, but not for a permanent solution...
For 45 euros I'm happy with it...

Bearking,

Been searching the ebay for long time and this is not among these. Where did you get this Deskpro XE?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 34278 of 52813, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bancho wrote on 2020-06-01, 12:10:
Nice arrival today, Turtle Beach Maui Wavetable Card. Comes with a Midi cable and i think its populated with 2x4mb modules as th […]
Show full quote

Nice arrival today, Turtle Beach Maui Wavetable Card. Comes with a Midi cable and i think its populated with 2x4mb modules as the have 4 stickers on them. Will have to confirm later. Very happy to finally own one of these.

XiYHh71l.jpg

Ah, what a beauty...

Reply 34279 of 52813, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-06-01, 19:59:

Bearking,

Been searching the ebay for long time and this is not among these. Where did you get this Deskpro XE?

Cheers,

Bought it from a scrapper locally, Romania... This one was the first I saw here in more then a year... Wasn't looking for it specifically, just bumped into it...