VOGONS

Reply 15661 of 27186, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finished a p4 rdram build. Was going to be win98, but it didn't like the 850MV mobo, so went with win2k instead and it worked. Have too many p4s already, but at least I got to see RDRAM type in cpuz 🤣

Reply 15662 of 27186, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Played some GTA on my P133 temporary rig, while i wait for more 486 parts to come in.
Game's turning out to be more captivating than i gave it credit for previously. Really needs a proper controller though IMO. Gravis Gamepad starting to show its age here

I'd really love to recreate that P133 rig Nocito made a video for on youtube. There's just something so charming about old 95' processors rigged up with a nice Voodoo and beefy 2D card 😁

Just missing a few parts...and no more money left for the hobbies right now after my 486 spend!
Argh! Budgets!

Reply 15663 of 27186, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote on 2020-06-01, 19:27:

How did you find D2X-XL to get going?
[...]

I'm sorry it was a long time ago. I deleted all of it and went back to DOSBox. I'm pretty sure I gave up and used Rebirth instead, or used dgVoodoo2 on top.

Reply 15664 of 27186, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroLizard wrote on 2020-06-02, 03:17:
mothergoose729 wrote on 2020-06-02, 02:46:

My son helped me install some PCI cards for my socket 478 windows 98 machine. He begged me to play some games on it, so we played unreal gold on a voodoo 3. He had a blast.

He really enjoyed the "jewel gun" aka the stinger.

Did you play the game together on seperate computers? 😉

He isn't really old enough to play on his own yet. I gave him the controls but he had trouble with the camera and 3d space. Mostly he is a cheerleader as I play.

I got scolded for shooting one of the nali by accident. "Those aren't the bad guys dad".

Reply 15665 of 27186, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Still hammering away at Windows 95's registry, trying to add the now-standard user content directories. While I can get the icons into My Computer, I still haven't sorted out how to make Windows just open the location I pointed them to in the registry. They're not simple shortcuts, of course, but a small pile of registry keys and data. What may be sticking me is the Attributes section of the ShellFolder key, since there's no real guide on what the numeric values indicate.

D42OowEm.png

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 15666 of 27186, by RetroLizard

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote on 2020-06-02, 08:33:

He isn't really old enough to play on his own yet. I gave him the controls but he had trouble with the camera and 3d space. Mostly he is a cheerleader as I play.

I got scolded for shooting one of the nali by accident. "Those aren't the bad guys dad".

Heheh. I find it incredibly hard to keep the Nali alive, so I don't bother personally.

Reply 15667 of 27186, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mister Xiado wrote on 2020-06-02, 09:51:
Still hammering away at Windows 95's registry, trying to add the now-standard user content directories. While I can get the icon […]
Show full quote

Still hammering away at Windows 95's registry, trying to add the now-standard user content directories. While I can get the icons into My Computer, I still haven't sorted out how to make Windows just open the location I pointed them to in the registry. They're not simple shortcuts, of course, but a small pile of registry keys and data. What may be sticking me is the Attributes section of the ShellFolder key, since there's no real guide on what the numeric values indicate.

D42OowEm.png

I find it quite curious that we take opposing directions in operating systems designs 😄

While you use win 10 icons in win 95, I simply theme XP to look like 98. I wanted to use the real 98 but emulators and virtualization software aren’t up to the task on my machine.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 15668 of 27186, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today i tested out my Turtle Beach Maui that arrived yesterday.

XiYHh71l.jpg

Happy to report the card works perfect, so was quite an nice get for £25! The sound is really clean and noise free. My assumption was right that it was populated with 8mb of ram with the 2 modules. Only tested it with the onboard soundset. I need to read up on the .wfb banks as i understand you can load banks in dos. Anyone have any experience of this and can anyone recommend any good banks?

sKg0yVLl.jpg

Reply 15669 of 27186, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After my Xbox 360 decided yesterday to kill my profile and most save games on the USB stick used as a Memory Unit, I spent most time today rescuing the save games that were still good and hacking them to work with a new profile. How stupid of MS to bind all save games to the Hardware and User ID...

Also added rubber pads to the analog sticks of my translucent controller.

Reply 15670 of 27186, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://www.frozencpu.com/products/23160/cpu- … l?tl=g40c369s52

I have this on one of my 775 machines and it works great keeps the cpu cool and it's quite quiet.

Reply 15671 of 27186, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since my dual core motherboard doesn't support two floppy drives, I bought this Gotek floppy drive equiped with mini USB connection, which I connected into internal pinout of the board. I use this dual core system for Windows XP.

Attachments

• IMG_9543.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_9543.JPG
    File size
    755.3 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_9545.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_9545.JPG
    File size
    850.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 15672 of 27186, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Turbo -> wrote on 2020-06-02, 19:21:

Since my dual core motherboard doesn't support two floppy drives, I bought this Gotek floppy drive equiped with mini USB connection, which I connected into internal pinout of the board. I use this dual core system for Windows XP.

Can you boot from it as a USB floppy on that motherboard?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 15673 of 27186, by AmiSapphire

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally backing up Dad's old Acer Aspire Win98SE install from a year 1998 Maxtor 5.7GB HDD. The drive went into a clicking state in 2018 and 2019, but somehow in 2020 it lives again. There is some old data on that install that Dad still used until then.

Too bad the custom wired PSU from the Acer Aspire died two years ago.

Site update: cwcyrix.duckdns.org -> cwcyrix.nsupdate.info due to the former no longer working.

Reply 15674 of 27186, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So far, I've gotten to the point where I can get the icons added in the appropriate places (My Computer, Explorer side navigation panel), but I have yet to determine exactly which registry data is needed to make Windows treat these items like links to a directory. Replicating registry information partly from Control Panel, Printers, and Dial-Up Networking has gotten me to the point where it looks correct, and the menus are correct, but opening the location doesn't work at all, and choosing Explore just makes Windows whine about an htt file I have yet to create.

"Pictures" is installed just fine, as indicated in my previous image, reposted here:
D42OowEm.png

The context menu is configured properly.
RcWEyc7m.png

But Open does nothing, and Explore 404s as expected without a page layout htt file.
M78pujum.png

There is no information online that I can find, regarding adding new items to My Computer, least of all something as simple as directory links. As there is nothing similar in Win9X that I can find, I'm not sure if using the registry of WinXP would help. I don't have any systems suitable for Windows XP right now, as the one that is suitable needs new capacitors, otherwise I'd look there immediately.
I've added the ID {B3690E58-E961-423B-B687-386EBFD83239} (ID for "My Pictures" in later versions of Windows), set its folder to C:\Pictures (directory in this installation created for it), configured its DefaultIcon, InProcServer32, and ShellFolder settings to some degree, as well as adding its ID and reference to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\mycomputer\nameSpace
The inscrutable binary value attached to "Attributes" may be the hurdle, but I don't have access to a newer version of Windows' registry to look for similarities to emulate or decode. Windows seems to want me to make an htt file for its display, while in Explore mode, but simply opening it to a location like any other directory is said not to require this.

Reply 15675 of 27186, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AmiSapphire wrote on 2020-06-02, 23:06:

Finally backing up Dad's old Acer Aspire Win98SE install from a year 1998 Maxtor 5.7GB HDD. The drive went into a clicking state in 2018 and 2019, but somehow in 2020 it lives again. There is some old data on that install that Dad still used until then.

Too bad the custom wired PSU from the Acer Aspire died two years ago.

I have an Acer laptop from early 90's that is busted. I might try to revive it one day. It had Win98 or 95 OEM...

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 15676 of 27186, by RetroLizard

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mister Xiado wrote on 2020-06-03, 03:10:
So far, I've gotten to the point where I can get the icons added in the appropriate places (My Computer, Explorer side navigatio […]
Show full quote

So far, I've gotten to the point where I can get the icons added in the appropriate places (My Computer, Explorer side navigation panel), but I have yet to determine exactly which registry data is needed to make Windows treat these items like links to a directory. Replicating registry information partly from Control Panel, Printers, and Dial-Up Networking has gotten me to the point where it looks correct, and the menus are correct, but opening the location doesn't work at all, and choosing Explore just makes Windows whine about an htt file I have yet to create.

"Pictures" is installed just fine, as indicated in my previous image, reposted here:
D42OowEm.png

The context menu is configured properly.
RcWEyc7m.png

But Open does nothing, and Explore 404s as expected without a page layout htt file.
M78pujum.png

There is no information online that I can find, regarding adding new items to My Computer, least of all something as simple as directory links. As there is nothing similar in Win9X that I can find, I'm not sure if using the registry of WinXP would help. I don't have any systems suitable for Windows XP right now, as the one that is suitable needs new capacitors, otherwise I'd look there immediately.
I've added the ID {B3690E58-E961-423B-B687-386EBFD83239} (ID for "My Pictures" in later versions of Windows), set its folder to C:\Pictures (directory in this installation created for it), configured its DefaultIcon, InProcServer32, and ShellFolder settings to some degree, as well as adding its ID and reference to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\mycomputer\nameSpace
The inscrutable binary value attached to "Attributes" may be the hurdle, but I don't have access to a newer version of Windows' registry to look for similarities to emulate or decode. Windows seems to want me to make an htt file for its display, while in Explore mode, but simply opening it to a location like any other directory is said not to require this.

Wouldn't a Windows XP vm work just fine for checking the registry real quick?

Reply 15677 of 27186, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RetroLizard wrote on 2020-06-03, 06:27:

Wouldn't a Windows XP vm work just fine for checking the registry real quick?

Would if my system wasn't configured in such a way that almost all virtualization is disabled. No, HyperV is not enabled to interfere. No virtualization software likes my hardware, and I'm not spending a month screwing with it for the sake of a distraction.

Reply 15679 of 27186, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RetroLizard wrote on 2020-06-03, 07:51:

Fair point. I could probably take a look myself, to be honest. If that would be of some help.

That would be appreciated, if possible. The main data is under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\, and the keys seem to be as follows (according to troubleshooting guides for more esoteric issues):

Documents: {7D49D726-3C21-4F05-99AA-FDC2C9474656}
Music: {94D6DDCC-4A68-4175-A374-BD584A510B78}
Pictures: {B3690E58-E961-423B-B687-386EBFD83239}
Videos: {5FA96407-7E77-483C-AC93-691D05850DE8}
Contacts: {DE2B70EC-9BF7-4A93-BD3D-243F7881D492}

The data that seems to matter the most under these keys are the keys InProcServer32, ShellFolder, and Shell. DefaultIcon is pretty obvious. The latter two may or may not be present, as Win95 seems to be inconsistent with other items present in My Computer. InProcServer32 and ShellFolder in particular seem to have control over how Windows handles the link, and the latter contains a binary value named Attributes, which is what is the most obvious unknown value. Since Windows 10 handles all of this differently, I'm otherwise at a loss until I break down and replace 17 motherboard capacitors. Thanks in advance.