VOGONS

First post, by yyzkevin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What I am trying to accomplish: To have a complete ipx/spx implementation (support routing, some undocumented novell functoins etc), the one that ships in dosbox is incomplete, absolutely excellent for its intended purpose but incomplete. I spent some time extending it, but it is tricky and could never be complete.

I then went the route of using a a packet driver and shims etc, which works however 115200baud is not enough. i looked at tweaking this too but arrive at overruns.

So what I am now investigating but would likely need help/collaboration with somebody is to implement ne2000 emulation, however instead of using pcap to talk to the host nic, use a UDP tunnel.

any thoughts?

Thanks!

Kevin

www.yyzkevin.com

Reply 1 of 5, by yyzkevin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Speaking to myself here it seems not much interest in this.

I got a preliminary version of working. I can now specify tunnel mode in the dosbox-x config, allowing to skip using any of the pcap libraries to talk to the host nic, and instead establish a udp tunnel to a remote server. I wrote a simple server which functions as a basic Ethernet switch to accept multiple udp tunnels and forward frames appropriately. I am now able to connect to netware servers and execute games and programms off a shared drive among other things.

I have some more cleanup work to do on this, and I am contemplating if implementing bootrom support in this ne2000 emulated card is even possible. I was looking through the pcjr code for executing from rom cartridges to see if I can understand/re-purpose anything there.

for now, I have a tiny boot disk with lsl/ne2000/ipxodi/netx which is enough to boot and connect to the netware server.

www.yyzkevin.com

Reply 3 of 5, by yyzkevin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am doing both. I am in the process of collecting old equipment to replace things I threw out over the years, I only kept hard drives and floppy discs.

For virtual I am currently using Virtualbox to run Netware 3.12 w/ IBM Classroom Lan Manager. I use the UDP Tunnel available in the VirtualBox to join its virtual switch it to my virtual switch where I can accept the various native dosbox IPX tunnel, my modified ne2000 tunnel, and slip connections with the shim drivers. I then run an additional VM with linux that is acting as a bridge to bring a physical 10baset segment into the mix where i have some old computers.

www.yyzkevin.com

Reply 4 of 5, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If your looking for other ways to connect to the network, such as in the case of WIFI which does not work with PCAP, you may also want to have a look at using libvirt to create a virtual network switch, which you can then connect to your real network adapter with NAT or routing. It should be possible to connect to this virtual switch with DOSBox-X NE2000 support, although I did not have the time yet to work out the exact steps of getting it working.