VOGONS

First post, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://github.com/electronicarts/CnC_Remastered_Collection

Dunno if it's enough to make a chocolate port or anything though...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1 of 16, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are a lot of build errors as is. And it's only libraries, the main exe is not provided.

I was hyped. Kind of bummed out. Seems to be an insufficient code drop and not much more, at least for now.

Reply 2 of 16, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There won't be anything more. It was announced from the get go, that they'll release source code for two main DLL libraries, for modding purposes. Full source code for remastered isn't even possible to be released, since the part of game with modern graphics is made under Petroglyphs proprietary and still used engine, for which EA doesn't own rights.

"We are proud to announce that alongside the launch of the Remastered Collection, Electronic Arts will be releasing the TiberianDawn.dll and RedAlert.dll and their corresponding source code under the GPL version 3.0 license."
https://www.reddit.com/r/commandandconquer/co … ce_mod_support/

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 3 of 16, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes but why not release the source code of the old executables (C&C95, RA95) ?

There's an issue to release the source code of the DOS versions. That would be interesting.

Reply 5 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm definitely keeping an eye on this one!
Loved modding C&C back in the old days, especially with mission making 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 16, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nezarn wrote on 2020-06-06, 12:33:

Hopefully modding community will fix some bugs and add proper ultrawide support (currently game has black bar at the left side, while on the right side it renders the HUD for building, etc.)

Released source code have nothing to do with rendering, so ultrawide support will for sure not come from community.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 7 of 16, by Nezarn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Srandista wrote on 2020-06-06, 14:32:

Released source code have nothing to do with rendering, so ultrawide support will for sure not come from community.

Modding community still can load the exe up in IDA and patch it, game only uses steamworks as DRM so its possible to patch exe (just needs some assembly knowledge)

Reply 8 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The game module's a generous step for an engine implementation to start on though. Less 'creative liberties' with the gameplay like every Westwood RTS reimplementaiton ever and potential compatibility.

However the FOSS gamedev scene ain't what it used to be. I bet if I posted about this source elsewhere, there'd be "SHAME DATA ISNT ALL GPLED WHATS THE POINT!!! THIS ATTACKS AND DETHRONES THE STALLMAN GOD" despite the ye old free as in beer rereleases of the games many ages back, compounded with the lack of creative motivation and will to lead a media project (which, given the talent of old Westwood, won't ever match our outdo them, no matter how unoptimized"high quality" it would be)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 16, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2020-06-07, 01:55:

The game module's a generous step for an engine implementation to start on though. Less 'creative liberties' with the gameplay like every Westwood RTS reimplementaiton ever and potential compatibility.

However the FOSS gamedev scene ain't what it used to be. I bet if I posted about this source elsewhere, there'd be "SHAME DATA ISNT ALL GPLED WHATS THE POINT!!! THIS ATTACKS AND DETHRONES THE STALLMAN GOD" despite the ye old free as in beer rereleases of the games many ages back, compounded with the lack of creative motivation and will to lead a media project (which, given the talent of old Westwood, won't ever match our outdo them, no matter how unoptimized"high quality" it would be)

The kinds of people who're likely to dedicate themselves in this way aren't likely to want to work on what to them is the equivalent of Pong. Many of them weren't born when old C&C was a thing, and the point of focus will keep moving further away.

Reply 10 of 16, by Tore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The source code released is what EA and Petroglyph managed to recover. It contains pretty much everything except for audio and VQA and a few missing methods here and there if I remember correctly. People have already got standalone versions booting to the main menu and gameplay. 😀

Chocolate Doom style ports are already in development. Using debug symbols left in certain builds of C&C and RA it is possible to get it done.

Reply 12 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally I was never a fan of the redone soundtrack with the extra added voices though. And I'm talking about the redone tracks when redone back in the 90s

Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 16, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's random in a topic about the source release. But it's also weird no one's made a dedicated thread about the remaster of one of the most important PC games either.

I hate the 90s voiced soundtrack too and I believe they're on every soundtrack release. But with the remaster we're getting a 6-disc OST release for two games. I'm guessing that means all variants of all the tracks. The Tiberian Suns is also easily the best part of this remaster.

The new graphics, eh... they're redrawn them from 1:1 PAR, just why? The sort of tile based landscape also doesn't lend itself well to higher resolution graphics like this. The FMV upscaling is way too smoothed. It looks great at face closeups (most C&C briefings) and terrible at everything else (most RA briefings). They clearly put a lot of effort into it, but I don't like the result. But honestly (except from redrawing from 5:6 PAR) I don't really have any better ideas for how you would remaster this.

The QoL improvements are all pretty nice. No stupid "We can't change anything" garbage like you get with StarCraft.

Reply 14 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ZellSF wrote on 2020-06-08, 14:36:
That's random in a topic about the source release. But it's also weird no one's made a dedicated thread about the remaster of on […]
Show full quote

That's random in a topic about the source release. But it's also weird no one's made a dedicated thread about the remaster of one of the most important PC games either.

I hate the 90s voiced soundtrack too and I believe they're on every soundtrack release. But with the remaster we're getting a 6-disc OST release for two games. I'm guessing that means all variants of all the tracks. The Tiberian Suns is also easily the best part of this remaster.

The new graphics, eh... they're redrawn them from 1:1 PAR, just why? The sort of tile based landscape also doesn't lend itself well to higher resolution graphics like this. The FMV upscaling is way too smoothed. It looks great at face closeups (most C&C briefings) and terrible at everything else (most RA briefings). They clearly put a lot of effort into it, but I don't like the result. But honestly (except from redrawing from 5:6 PAR) I don't really have any better ideas for how you would remaster this.

The QoL improvements are all pretty nice. No stupid "We can't change anything" garbage like you get with StarCraft.

Years ago I extracted all of the music files I could find and burned them as 2 audio CDs. It included some of the odd (often roughly only 40 second duration) audio files that seemed to be tracks that were never finished. It did not include the additional voices. For example Act on Instinct like the 2 examples I have linked to here, in case anyone here is unfamiliar with this subject:
Original one without the voices https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQEH5QrikYo
The one with the added voices https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4AUY-v1nsE

Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 16, by Tore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2020-06-08, 06:13:

Could you link to the source of those standalone versions pretty please ?

Sorry for the late response, but Vanilla Conquer is a good example.
https://github.com/Vanilla-Conquer/Vanilla-Conquer

There are others, but those are more about making entirely different games from the released source. Like this project which has support for isometric graphics from Tiberian Sun and such.
https://github.com/jmarshall23/CnC_Remastered … e/Isometric-Dev