First post, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some italian Guy started to recreate the V5 :

https://www.forumzone.it/showthread.php?t=531 … ead.php?t=53123

Attachments

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 2 of 15, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting concept of the pass-thru VGA. But personally I would prefer AGP 1.5V compatible V5 with standard VGA + DVI and perhaps 2x 64 MB RAM. 😁

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 3 of 15, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

More compact Voodoo 5 with DVI would be much better. Then again, it's not like we would see it at reasonable quantity or price any time soon.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 15, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, most likely this project will end up like every other modern Voodoo remake - few prototypes, some photos and thats it.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 5 of 15, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks nice, but it will be more expensive than "a real card", if it will be available. 2 VSA-100 chips, fast SDRAM memory, PCB, various components, etc. Sure, if it will be "mass produced" it won't be expensive, but are there enough VSA-100 chips available for that? And is there enough demand? Sure, almost any video card collector will want one, but how many are in the world?

Reply 6 of 15, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't speak for the other components, but VSA-100 chips can be sourced - I even found a seller in TX who had trays of these. Out of curiosity, I even purchased a tray of 24, intending to send them out to interested people. I don't know if they're legit - they look extremely real to me, materials look correct and they have markings and date codes that make sense - but maybe something like this could be a good project to contribute them to.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 8 of 15, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sure, there are real VSA-100 chips, but how many? I'm not an expert in stuff like this, but I'm pretty sure that the cost to make such a card is huge, unless you can make a lot of cards. A lot of cards means at least 10.000. Are there 20.000 VSA-100 chips available? (2 for each card). Maybe. Are there 10.000 customers for such cards? I highly doubt it, but I might be wrong. It depends on the final price, I guess. If you can make a lot of cards and you can sell the card with 100$, even 200$, then there *might* be enough buyers.

The problem is that there's no real way to know until you make the card. Or you can try kickstarter. We'll see...

EDIT:

derSammler wrote on 2020-06-09, 14:30:

I don't think a collector would care about a replica card. Replica cards are more for people who want to actually use it and/or not willing to pay the high prices for the real thing.
[/quote

Well, if the price is ok I would buy at least one. But I'm curious about the price... I bought V5 5500 cards in the past with 20$-30$, some (boxed and/or PCI) with more, some (bulk, AGP) with less. Now the asking price is hundreds of dollars. A bit too much. And, somehow, I doubt that a clone will be cheaper. Unless, as I said, you can make a lot of them.

Reply 9 of 15, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RaverX wrote on 2020-06-09, 14:37:

Well, if the price is ok I would buy at least one. But I'm curious about the price... I bought V5 5500 cards in the past with 20$-30$, some (boxed and/or PCI) with more, some (bulk, AGP) with less. Now the asking price is hundreds of dollars. A bit too much. And, somehow, I doubt that a clone will be cheaper. Unless, as I said, you can make a lot of them.

It couldn't be mass produced. It would have to be a short run hobbyist project. And those are generally not cheap. But given the current market rate of V5 5500s now - which has only gone up in the last couple years - I would be shocked if the cost of components + PCB approached anywhere near $250-300 USD per card even for a smaller run. (I'm also no expert; please correct me if I'm wrong.) It absolutely does take initial investment to get the parts though.

For reference, my cost of obtaining a 24 unit tray of VSA-100s came out to about $15/unit. I don't imagine it will stay that way all the time, but these things aren't exactly flying off the shelves.

And I would happily trade my V5 5500s for a new board design and let the collectors collect.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 10 of 15, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Chips he used on the Bus Interface look same like on Radeon 7000 PCI which in Fact is a AGP Card with some Converters on it.

Also a new Card with 1 VSA and less cost would suffice, i rather would prefer Digital Output, instead of SLI.

1 VSA should be enough for all Glide Titles 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 13 of 15, by WarhammerTH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm interested in how he did the design, did he has a reference design or spec for the VSA-100? There is no spec to found in internet.
Or did he completeley reengeneerd the layout and estimae the functions of the pins.
I would be very interested in the schematics of the design, maybe its possible to add some DVI or HDMI via some small FPGA or something

Reply 14 of 15, by sdz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For adding DVI to a VSA card, there is no need for an FPGA. A TMDS encoder, such as TFP410, will do the trick. It might not be register compatible with the SiI164 used on the original DVI V4/V5 cards, but that can be easily fixed.
The databook for the VSA100 is available online, it contains most of the info needed to make a new card.

Reply 15 of 15, by WarhammerTH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you @sdz for the keyword databook, now i found very fast. Never heard this word. I just looked for datasheed, reference designe and so on... (i don't want to make a new card, just interested)