VOGONS

First post, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have this photo I saved from some site ~15 years ago, and I'm trying to figure out what model of what manufacturer the motherboard is.

autoshop1.jpg
Filename
autoshop1.jpg
File size
242.4 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

It's clearly Socket 5/7 (the Intel box cooler of that period gives that away), and Baby AT with green-coloured PCB. The large VRM sinks, Seagate 4500RPM HDD, PS/2 mouse bracket attachment, and onboard I/O point to something with 430VX from ~1996 (at least to me). There are at least four ISAs, at least two PCIs, a "VIA-II" keyboard controller, and one of those Dallas-type self-contained battery things. I've yet to see a match come up searching terms in Google Images.

Anybody have any idea?

Reply 1 of 13, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's very, very little to go on.

What I'd do: the most noticeable feature is the RTC location, not horizontal along the bottom as usual, but vertical in front of the ISA slots. If I really wanted to ID this, I'd open up TH'99 and manually go through all the Pentium boards looking for AT boards with >=4 ISA slots and an RTC in front of them. Would take an hour or two, and I'm afraid I can't be bothered now to do it for you - but it's your best shot IMHO.

Reply 3 of 13, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That thought occured too re. the RTC - maybe some Shuttle board like this HOT-533

hot533.jpg
Filename
hot533.jpg
File size
261.21 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 13, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like DFI G586IPV
https://www.cbo-do.de/Motherboards/Intel/Inte … tml?language=en

edit: G586IPV just "looks like it" but isn't exactly the same - G586IPC looks spot on.

Last edited by PARKE on 2020-06-10, 15:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 13, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2020-06-09, 22:40:

... If I really wanted to ID this, I'd open up TH'99 and manually go through all the Pentium boards looking for AT boards with >=4 ISA slots and an RTC in front of them. ...

Thanks, I did just that and managed to find it within (luckily) ~20min. It's the DFI G586IPC. Turns out it's a 430HX...

There's some good photos of one on *bay ATM. Date codes are pointing to early 1997 for that one.
EDIT: Fixed typos

Last edited by SW-SSG on 2020-06-10, 05:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 13, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Happy that you found it .

That's some, euh, interesting photography . Do you know what the purpose of the photo was ? Inquisitive minds want to know ? 😀

Seriously, if the photo is cropped and this is something private, please disregard my question .

Reply 7 of 13, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I saved it from some website that had a collection of dusty/dirty/grimy PC photos. I can't remember anything useful about the site, though, and reverse-searching the photo turns up nothing.

Reply 8 of 13, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well found! And nice board too, populate it with a COAST with extra tag and you can cache all the way up to 512MB

SW-SSG wrote on 2020-06-10, 05:20:

I saved it from some website that had a collection of dusty/dirty/grimy PC photos. I can't remember anything useful about the site, though, and reverse-searching the photo turns up nothing.

Still: why is this particular board interesting to you? What are you going to do with the knowledge now you have it?

Reply 9 of 13, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2020-06-10, 05:59:

Well found! And nice board too, populate it with a COAST with extra tag and you can cache all the way up to 512MB

How do you know? Did you find the manual for that board, where it says that? I have a Soyo SY-5TF with the Intel 430HX chipset, 256K onboard cache (with a tag ram socket onboard) and a COAST socket. I beeped out all the connections, and found that the 3 high tag bits from the chipset are not connected to the COAST module. So the feature combination by itself is not a safe indicator for that big cachable area. As the north bridge is BGA, you also can't add bodge wires to "fix" the issue.

Reply 10 of 13, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mkarcher wrote on 2020-06-10, 06:57:
dionb wrote on 2020-06-10, 05:59:

How do you know? Did you find the manual for that board, where it says that? I have a Soyo SY-5TF with the Intel 430HX chipset, 256K onboard cache (with a tag ram socket onboard) and a COAST socket. I beeped out all the connections, and found that the 3 high tag bits from the chipset are not connected to the COAST module. So the feature combination by itself is not a safe indicator for that big cachable area. As the north bridge is BGA, you also can't add bodge wires to "fix" the issue.

That's pretty... brain-dead engineering. Apologies, I wasn't aware of that little pitfall 🙁

Reply 11 of 13, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think it's that DFI.
If you look closer you'll see that your pentium had 4 ISA slots while this dfi only has three, and the DALLAS battery is somewhere else.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 12 of 13, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote on 2020-06-10, 13:31:

I don't think it's that DFI.
If you look closer you'll see that your pentium had 4 ISA slots while this dfi only has three, and the DALLAS battery is somewhere else.

I'm pretty sure I see a fourth ISA slot in that pic. Can't comment on the RTC though.

Reply 13 of 13, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah nevermind I was talking about PARKE's post but I didn't see that SW-SSG actually found a different model which indeed looks like the one in the photo.

For the manual, you can find many versions of it here : http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Dfi/man … 6ipc/index.html.

There are even bioses in here !

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative