Rank Member
Rank

My little old game system

HP 5710 stripped casing.
512mb ram
4Gb x133 CF Card
CMI 8738 Sound card and riser.

Plays plenty of old games,

Demostration shown, aquerium 3D (7 fish). on windows 98se (Directx 8 seems to run best on the ATI7000)

Few issues with various other sound cards. Still can't get the sound to work under DOS, Drivers likes irq 5 but bios likes irq 11.
Glide wrapper streaks with direct draw, but doesn't effect many games, Toruk dinosaur hunter runs well.
Toca 2 works well with the sidewinder FFB wheel, along with REVOLT

Mainly Use DAEMON Tools Lite and the CD images held on a 16Gb USB drive (All my own games, Don't condone you know what, love charity shops for old games)

Drivers thanks to phils computer lab.

Mounted on terry clips to the monitor mount.

Slelotape and hole punch confetti power switch membrane in First picture.

Any thing needing more power like "Alice, the madness returns", then it's a HP T610 plus with Gforce GT730 (Wes7 sorry!!), Gaming under 9owatts
or an old 2ghz Compaq EVO with SB Audigy 0009 and TNT 32mb, dual boot win98se/XP

Update,

Changed the sound card to a creative labs ct5803, sounds crap loads of distortion so using onboard sound but the gameport is stable with microsoft force feedback controllers wheel and joystick.

Gaming got interesting...

Attachments

Last edited by Digidreamer on 2020-12-12, 22:04. Edited 1 time in total.

I Like Charity Shops, they're like steam and GOG but cheaper.

Windows 7 - HP730 Air cooled, 8Gb, GT1030
Windows 98se - Wyse V10LE 1.2Ghz, 1 Gb, 16Gb SSD
Windows 98se - Compaq Evo 550d SSF, P4 2Ghz, 1Gb, 60Gb(Partitioned)
Dos 6.2 - HP7510 512Mb, 4Gb

Reply 1 of 54, by HerrK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Digidreamer, great system! I recently got a HP 5710 as well, but can't figure out how to get win98 installed on it... how did you do it? I already tried attaching a USB DVD drive, but the win98 setup disk wouldn't boot from USB due to missing drivers...

Reply 2 of 54, by Digidreamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

Had a few issues as windows 98 hasn't usb drivers on the boot CD,

The trick I found was to use a boot os from usb (Linux works), to copy the windows directory to the formatted hard drive,

The boot up from the windows disk, boot without cd support this will give you d:\ , then from the dos prompt, switch to c drive C:\, then change to the windows directory, and run setup.exe "cd\Windows", then just follow the instructions on screen.

Any issues, just ask,

Also copy across a copy of NUSB333E.EXE, works a treat when windows 98se is installed, then everything else can be copied from pen drives.

Pleasure to be helpful.

Reply 3 of 54, by henk717

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also got my own T5710 and made this USB Stick image for it : http://henk.tech/udbs
It is made with WinImage so if ran as an administrator it can create a T5710 bootable USB stick for you, but you can also use the file extract option and make a bootable usb with the HP Storage Format utility instead.

The image i have designed to easily allow installation of DOS with my startup menu and some nice programs on machines like this, but when you add the win98 folder from the Windows 98 CD to the USB stick it can be used to easily install Windows 98 as well.

Using my image all you need to do is boot from the stick and type :
gdisk 2 /batch:repart
Which will automatically partition the internal storage of the thinclient with a FAT32 partition that spans the entire size.
Reboot.
Then use setup C: D: and it will copy the win98 setup over, take the stick out of the machine, reboot and use source\setup and it will install just fine.

You can use any other method you want of course, including these linux methods or something like easy2boot but for me specifically i enjoy doing it this way because its based on that universal dos floppy and all the tools i use and it allows for easy partitioning of the system. You can then later use the setup C: D: command again to integrate all the dos drivers into the thinclient.

Keep in mind you will need upgraded storage for the thin client though, the default 256MB is not enough to fit everything.

Driver wise i sent phil this : https://mega.nz/file/LgYDhKDA#7upam9AIguSzKWA … NCpYYwAnF94eUpU
Its my own archive with all the drivers i used for my thin client, it will contain the IDE fix you need to get the IDE controller to behave, which after a reboot lets you install the chipset without errors. Then you can install all the other drivers. The archive also contains a self extractor i put together that will automatically setup the DOS sound for you, although this only works properly when combined with either phils dos menu or the DOS menu that you get when you install my dos floppy inside of Windows 98 with its setup command.

The USB driver in the zip is a little tricky though, choose the via option, reboot if it asks and then reinstall all the USB drivers with the default choices in device manager. You will get a stack that has the VIA driver combined with all the NUSB features and even Xbox 360 controller support. Works great! 😁 (This is taken from the Unofficial Service Pack 3, they hid it inside SP3.CAB)

Reply 4 of 54, by HerrK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, thanks so much for responding! The linux option sounds easy enough, don't know why I didn't think of that. And henk, thanks for the drivers and the image creator, I will give this a shot, but I gotta wait for my Ide-SD adapter shipping from china, then I'll get to work on it 😀

Reply 5 of 54, by henk717

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HerrK wrote on 2020-06-08, 13:58:

Hey guys, thanks so much for responding! The linux option sounds easy enough, don't know why I didn't think of that. And henk, thanks for the drivers and the image creator, I will give this a shot, but I gotta wait for my Ide-SD adapter shipping from china, then I'll get to work on it 😀

I actually developed most of that UDBS image because i had to wait on my own IDE storage module for the T5710 and wanted to play with it anyway.
With UDBS alone you can still do a lot of fun things with the thinclient as it essentially is MSDOS7.1 that can also be installed to the internal storage (256MB is plenty for DOS) or run directly from USB.

Combined with this : VIASBCFG - VIA SBPro configuration tool for VIA VT8231 & VT82C686/A/B chipsets (v0.12d)
You can get a nice thin-client for MS-Dos gaming while you wait for your adapter to arrive complete with built in sound blaster sound.

Reply 6 of 54, by HerrK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
henk717 wrote on 2020-06-10, 00:01:

I actually developed most of that UDBS image because i had to wait on my own IDE storage module for the T5710 and wanted to play with it anyway.
With UDBS alone you can still do a lot of fun things with the thinclient as it essentially is MSDOS7.1 that can also be installed to the internal storage (256MB is plenty for DOS) or run directly from USB.

I tried creating a bootlable USB disk now with UDBS.exe (selected the option "Reformat and Write on whole device") and the disk is created just fine, however the thin client tells me "Invalid system disk" when I try to boot from it. The boot flag on the USB stick is set, so I don't know what's wrong here... any idea?

Reply 7 of 54, by HerrK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Curiously, the USB stick boots just fine on another machine, so it seems the image is fine and the problem is with the HP.... the same USB stick with linux on it boots fine. Don't know what to think of that...

Reply 8 of 54, by henk717

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interesting, i had the reverse experience with it working fine in the T5710 but not on other systems. Unfortunately the way the built in writer handles USB sticks is not perfect.
The alternative you can try is the HP USB Format Tool which has a option to make a bootable USB disk. Use the option to extract the files to a folder, make a USB Startup disk with this directory using the HP tool and then copy the remainder of the files yourself. That will produce a more compatible stick that for me worked on all systems.

Reply 9 of 54, by Digidreamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried Rufus, but didn't support dos 6.22, dos 7 works, but had probs with trying windows 3.11 due the wrong dos version errors

Reply 10 of 54, by pii_legacy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have one of these as well as a few other thin clients and if it's old enough to have an inner PCI slot, there is a good chance it will only boot off internal usb ports or require either PlOP or a USB CD drive. I just use an iodd2531. You kinda gotta have something like that if you are constantly building machines up and tearing them down.

Reply 11 of 54, by henk717

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The T5710 maps USB sticks as a harddrive trough BIOS emulation, so all you need is a regular USB stick.
Windows 3.11 can be done, but Rufus is not the way to go for that. You want to use the HP USB Storage Format Tool and the DOS files of your choosing.
I do have it running with a modified copy of MS-Dos 7.1 that identifies differently and is compatible.

Reply 12 of 54, by Digidreamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One problem I seem to have with this setup if, I can't my M/Soft ffb joystick to work, keeps telling me it's not connected, feel resistance on the stick, then it'll just go limp, (Pardon the Phrase), the wheel works, but seems to lose the feedback during game, may be low power issues going to the Sound card. works ok on the Compaq with the soundblaster Audigy fitted.

Reply 13 of 54, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got one recently, seems like it is rather choosy regarding the usb sticks. I threw 4 different brands of sticks at it, Toshiba, Adata, Sony, and Sandisk. Out of these 4 it only likes 2, with the other 2 hung the system during boot. But once it accepts the stick, it will mount it as a hard drive, even in pure DOS. Neat little machine. Unfortunately the Transmeta x86 CPU emulation ("code morphing") has its limitation and couldn't turn off the cache system like all x86 compatible CPUs can. It will accept read/write to CR0.CD bit, but ignore it and doesn't do anything.

Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.

Reply 14 of 54, by Scandy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
henk717 wrote on 2020-06-13, 15:23:

The T5710 maps USB sticks as a harddrive trough BIOS emulation, so all you need is a regular USB stick.
Windows 3.11 can be done, but Rufus is not the way to go for that. You want to use the HP USB Storage Format Tool and the DOS files of your choosing.
I do have it running with a modified copy of MS-Dos 7.1 that identifies differently and is compatible.

Hi,
in pure MS-DOS 6.22 USB sticks (in FAT or FAT32) don't work as harddrive. So maybe MS-DOS 7 is needed?
Thanks

THE NIGHTLAND is my board + video game for Commodore 64.

Reply 15 of 54, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have one of these; works well with UNISOUND to get DOS compatible audio from the onboard soundcard. CPU performance is awful though, not surprising given that the chip actually translates x86 on the fly and has a 16MB cache to assist. But my god, the Radeon 7000 is starved. Carmageddon II is even a slideshow; my Pentium MMX runs the game better.

Reply 16 of 54, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RichB93 wrote on 2020-10-17, 01:53:

I have one of these; works well with UNISOUND to get DOS compatible audio from the onboard soundcard. CPU performance is awful though, not surprising given that the chip actually translates x86 on the fly and has a 16MB cache to assist. But my god, the Radeon 7000 is starved. Carmageddon II is even a slideshow; my Pentium MMX runs the game better.

The Transmeta Crusoe was advertised with Windows Me, if memory serves.
Me on the other hand had lots of new 32-Bit stuff included - likely borrowed from Windows 2000..
In a pure 32-Bit environment, it should work better than under Windows 98.
Simply think of the Transmeta CPU as a sibling of the Pentium Pro. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 17 of 54, by henk717

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Scandy wrote on 2020-10-10, 16:28:
Hi, in pure MS-DOS 6.22 USB sticks (in FAT or FAT32) don't work as harddrive. So maybe MS-DOS 7 is needed? Thanks […]
Show full quote
henk717 wrote on 2020-06-13, 15:23:

Hi,
in pure MS-DOS 6.22 USB sticks (in FAT or FAT32) don't work as harddrive. So maybe MS-DOS 7 is needed?
Thanks

I did not test with 6.22 personally but indeed not every version of DOS works with these tools, you have the best luck if you use a copy of dos that can run from floppy but can also be installed with format /s without boot issues. If this is the case it could support it and you may need another flashing tool to make your bootable. Is there any reason you want 6.22 specifically? Because i have not yet seen anything that a (tweaked) 7.1 can't do that a 6.22 can do.

Reply 19 of 54, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What about a stand-alone DOS, like Caldera DOS, FreeDOS or IBM DOS 7/2000?
Does it work the same in this case as MS-DOS 7.x does?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//