VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 34461 of 52826, by IBMFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-06-10, 18:06:

I wouldn't waste a single buck on such a lot, even if I spotted a rare card. Whatever you find in there has probably taken so much ESD damage that it won't work for more than a few hours or - with some luck - a few weeks. So I tend to agree, it's more or less junk.

Or you just don't know what you are talking about. 😉 The site is full of your nonsense BS you keep spewing every day in every topic but when it comes to actually helping others you stay quiet. When others call your BS you are silent. You constantly mock, belittle and undermine others and it's pathetic.
Concentrating on being helpful is better than nosing every topic with your pretend knowledge and smugness.

Reply 34462 of 52826, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got an S3 ViRGE\DX to replace my SiS video card, for my P133. The Build engine games appear to run a bit smoother, though anything above 320x200 is of course still not very playable. More importantly, it resolved the major issue I had with the SiS card, which is geometry issues between different screen modes/resolutions; on the SiS, EGA was offset nearly an entire inch to the left compared with VGA. Everything is nice and centered now with the S3 card.

Reply 34463 of 52826, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@IBMFan:

🤣, what's wrong with you, mate? I'm here for over three years and wrote almost 4.000 posts and you try to judge me? I'm helping more people here each day than you have written posts in total. Created a second account just to insult me? How childish.

Also, you couldn't have done any worse quoting. What you quoted from me is my personal optinion - saying that I would not spend money on that. Calling such optinions of other people nonsense or bullshit is just purely intolerant. If you can't stand that, you should not be on the internet.

You can also just mute my posts if you don't like them. The forum has that function...

Reply 34464 of 52826, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
newtmonkey wrote on 2020-06-11, 09:03:

Got an S3 ViRGE\DX to replace my SiS video card, for my P133. The Build engine games appear to run a bit smoother, though anything above 320x200 is of course still not very playable.

Try using UNIVBE.

I had a P133 + S3Trio64V+ back in the day, and I remember being able to play Duke3D at 640x480 with acceptable frame rates using UNIVBE. Not 60+ FPS mind you, just something that wasn't a slide show, so probably 25 or so.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 34465 of 52826, by IBMFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-06-11, 09:09:

@IBMFan:
🤣, what's wrong with you, mate?

You and your idiocy is my problem. Your 2-liners aren't helping anyone and that is your entire operation here. Don't be so proud of your 4000 posts because anyone can type nonsense like you do. That's not an accomplishment. You don't want to help just want to tell others that they are wrong in XYZ. When someone calls your BS you just go away. So maybe you should just cut the BS and start being helpful once instead of being a smug condecsending asshat.

Reply 34466 of 52826, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
me-watching-other-peoples-drama-250098.png
Filename
me-watching-other-peoples-drama-250098.png
File size
140.29 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Reaction image posts are off-topic on VOGONS."

Omg, you people are NO FUN.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 34467 of 52826, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-06-11, 09:14:

Try using UNIVBE.

I had a P133 + S3Trio64V+ back in the day, and I remember being able to play Duke3D at 640x480 with acceptable frame rates using UNIVBE. Not 60+ FPS mind you, just something that wasn't a slide show, so probably 25 or so.

Thanks! I'll try this.

Reply 34468 of 52826, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2020-06-11, 00:05:

Also other random (more interesting) stuff I acquired over a course of the pandemic 😉

A handheld scanner, cool!
Does it use an interface card?

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 34469 of 52826, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just ordinary PCChips M575 with 1MB L2 cache and sound on board. But I like it.
The motherboard had the AMI WinBIOS which knew nothing about IDT Winchip-2 CPU.
When I've flashed the freshest BIOS the WinBIOS has gone. The older BIOS was saved successfully before 😀

Attachments

• PCChips_M575.jpg
    Filename
    PCChips_M575.jpg
    File size
    218.83 KiB
    Views
    File license

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 34470 of 52826, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanJammer wrote on 2020-06-10, 23:56:

I bought this PC10 few days ago, because I wanted the EGA Wonder and possibly the big board (I didn't knew what it was - auction photos were poor).

I was kind of surprised when I discovered it was Intel Inboard 386/PC.

All beside problematic floppies and HDD fully working!

Nice stuff you got there HanJammer!

I would have expected there is the board I have been trying to repair inside this PC-10, but it seems to be different?
Commodore PC-10 I XT 380000-01 board repair

Reply 34472 of 52826, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-06-10, 16:17:
Have these on the way now: cards 1.jpg cards 2.jpg motherboards.jpg […]
Show full quote

Have these on the way now:
cards 1.jpg
cards 2.jpg
motherboards.jpg

Ohgg... that's a sweet looking lot. Once you get them you should post pictures of all the parts spread out with no mention of what is there, just so we get to experience the treasure hunt too. If you do this, PM me when you post it, I don't want to miss out. 🤣

As to whether a lot like this is worth paying money for, I think it depends on your standards for collecting. Some will spend several thousand dollars on a single item they have no intention of using because it is sealed in a box. It is likely never going to be worth more than that and no one else really truly cares what you have so I don't fully understand the reasoning behind this personally, but then, I don't have a six figure income and have many other things to spend my limited resources on. For me, this hobby pays for itself and I still have an awesome collection of usable parts.

I think most parts made before 2000 or so have a very high chance of being functional despite being stored improperly. Newer parts with smaller components tend to have lots of SMD damage that is extremely tedious to repair. Older parts are generally much more durable. Most of the time if they don't have visible physical damage, they just work, even when stored in a scrap heap for 20 years. I have posted several times about my successes with repairing what looked like garbage and turning it into usable hardware that is otherwise quite rare.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 34473 of 52826, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-06-10, 18:07:

For the price I paid, just the one Turtle Beach TBS-2000 card would have been worth it.

Can't wait to see what all is in that massive lot of cards.

That was the first card I noticed too. It's not talked about a lot as far as TB cards go, but it's a nice wavetable card with ICS Wavefront, OPL3, and WSS.

There also appears to be a VLB graphics card behind it.

Reply 34474 of 52826, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh yeah, I love it when some underpaid postal employee messes up my stuff because he hates his job.
His latest accomplishments are a broken HP E118405 CDRW bezel and this:
It must have taken a lot of doing to break a memory chip in half even though the box was filled with air cushions. Interesting to note that it still works somewhat with heavy artifacting and black and white colors. You can't just destroy an S3!
Still, f*ck you postguy, hope this will be your biggest victory in life (sorry for being mental, I'm fckng pissed right now)!

Attachments

• DSC_0002.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0002.JPG
    File size
    1.54 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 34476 of 52826, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-06-11, 17:23:

Wow that's bad I'm sorry to hear your having so much trouble with your shipments. If you can source a replacement ram chip it should be fixable.

Thanks, it's the second time in a year. I think I have a few replacement chips so I'll practice my smd soldering skills soon. The CDRW is a goner.

Reply 34477 of 52826, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
boxpressed wrote on 2020-06-11, 15:54:
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-06-10, 18:07:

For the price I paid, just the one Turtle Beach TBS-2000 card would have been worth it.

Can't wait to see what all is in that massive lot of cards.

That was the first card I noticed too. It's not talked about a lot as far as TB cards go, but it's a nice wavetable card with ICS Wavefront, OPL3, and WSS.

There also appears to be a VLB graphics card behind it.

Yep, there is a VLB graphics card. Pretty sure it is a Cirrus Logic based card.
I can also see an ECHO based sound card right under the VLB graphics card.
There is also an ESS based card and an Aztech sound/modem card that I can make out.
Pretty sure there is a Matrox video card.

The lot is supposed to arrive next Monday according to the tracking.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 34478 of 52826, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Miphee wrote on 2020-06-11, 17:17:
Oh yeah, I love it when some underpaid postal employee messes up my stuff because he hates his job. His latest accomplishments a […]
Show full quote

Oh yeah, I love it when some underpaid postal employee messes up my stuff because he hates his job.
His latest accomplishments are a broken HP E118405 CDRW bezel and this:
It must have taken a lot of doing to break a memory chip in half even though the box was filled with air cushions. Interesting to note that it still works somewhat with heavy artifacting and black and white colors. You can't just destroy an S3!
Still, f*ck you postguy, hope this will be your biggest victory in life (sorry for being mental, I'm fckng pissed right now)!

Looks like it was hit with the same thing that hit the nearby capacitor C21 and knocked it out partially. It also looks like the memory chip got scraped off and isn't broken (at least from the picture). Could just need a cap replacement. Unless the packaging got torn open, I doubt this was the posts doing.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 34479 of 52826, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Munx wrote on 2020-06-11, 17:31:

Looks like it was hit with the same thing that hit the nearby capacitor C21 and knocked it out partially.

The capacitor is slightly damaged but it's okay. Unfortunately the memory chip is indeed cracked.

Attachments

• DSC_0006.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0006.JPG
    File size
    351.91 KiB
    Views
    File license