VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 34500 of 52969, by seleryba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I posted today but since that I received another two packages with more computer parts. 😁

Seller photos so don't judge me for the red carpet (not sure if it's really carpet, but better safe than sorry)

zlom3.jpg
Filename
zlom3.jpg
File size
627.71 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
zlom4.jpeg
Filename
zlom4.jpeg
File size
1.37 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
zlom5.jpeg
Filename
zlom5.jpeg
File size
553.22 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

From this set I really enjoy:

• Diamond Multimedia Voodoo 2 8 MB - I need to test it but chip legs and board itself looks great, so it should work!
  • ECS P6S5AT - yeah, ECS, but: SiS 635T chipset, I think it's the best one for Socket 370 due to benchmarks, OC possibilities and flexibility. I have received two identical motherboards, sadly one has broken chipset by screwdriver. I think that previous owner really wanted the heatsink 😔Hopefully second one will work great after recap.
  • Asus CUSL2-E - i815E S370
  • Asus A7N8X - nForce 2 Socket A
  • PCChips BXPro PC100 - hell yeah, I just wanted to have this crap to build some PC parody. Anyway I have thesis that after recap and staying with FSB 66 this one can be stable, need to check.
  • ESS Audiodrive ISA sound card- just love how good that card is, so the more I have the better
  • Celeron 1100 - not the best CPU for S370, but come on it's Tualatin

Reply 34501 of 52969, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I haven't posted here in a while. There's been a few updates, though. Here are a few new parts I got:

First, an A-Trend ATG-2476P, a Voodoo Rush.

Hwvoi1Lm.jpg

Kind of an ugly duckling in the 3DFX family, but I always wanted one and managed to get it for cheap. I am curious whether it is indeed faster than a regular V1 on low-end CPUs. So far I've seen a 1 FPS difference in glQuake on an AMD 5x86@160. Going to be interesting once I find a Pentium Overdrive for a Socket 3.

Next, an Ark Logic ARK2000PV.

8lJ9jTmm.jpg

I was really impressed by DOS performance of ARK1000VL, so I wanted to get the PCI version.

Next, a Logitech Cyberman...

8Y0DbARm.jpg

...a Logitech Cyberman 2...

Rk0O52em.jpg

...and a SpaceOrb 360

TZqFJCMm.jpg

Got these from three different sellers. Had them bookmarked for months, they were cheap, and I was kind of curious. Especially about the original Cyberman with its force feedback feature.

Last edited by jheronimus on 2020-06-12, 22:44. Edited 1 time in total.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 34502 of 52969, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

nice @seleryba, was there a picture of the backside of the voodoo2? who knows, could be a 12MB 😁

got myself an Intel Hendrix socket 4 board, my very first socket 4 and I think I have at least one board of every "normal" socket now

hardware38_76.jpg
Filename
hardware38_76.jpg
File size
595.65 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 34503 of 52969, by seleryba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-06-12, 22:35:

nice @seleryba, was there a picture of the backside of the voodoo2? who knows, could be a 12MB 😁

I really thought that before I received the package 😁 Sadly, the sticker and VRAM on the back clearly says: it's 8.
There are pads on the PCB, so maybe I can solder in four more chips. I can test it some day, but I need to find some 100 MHz ones to match the others.

Love that yours Intel motherboard's design BTW. Very cool Rush @jheronimus.

Reply 34504 of 52969, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So few days ago friend found this machine in some FB group. People were offering this guy stupid prices (like 20-30 Euro) and I immediately noticed something on the bottom of the case which gave me a huge nerdly b*ner 😉))
I PMed the guy with much more reasonable price (still very, very good, but I couldn't offer more because it was very dirty, and high risk it won't be working)... 5 minutes later the guy called... anyway... this machine arrived today...

Motherboard was too far gone, which we could see on the pics, I attempted a repair, but it was too hard (too many very delicate traces corroded, so I just removed cache, and other stuff from the motherboard).

Fortunatelly the CT1320 and graphics adapter works fine. Even the potentiometer on the Sound Blaster is smooth. PSU is OK, I don't know about disk controller and the rest of the parts, but this stuff is going to guy who showed me the add - let's say it's a finder's fee...

Also I previously had Miro 8S VL, and now I have Miro 20SD VL 😁

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 34507 of 52969, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2020-06-12, 22:56:

nice 😁

luckily the IO card was all the way on top shielding the others from the battery gunk ^^

Yeah, the graphics adapter and sound card got some of the leakage on the goldfingers but they are all right...

jheronimus wrote on 2020-06-12, 23:09:

@HanJammer a Kolani big tower, wow! I think you can find matching 5.25 drives, it's going to look really great!

I have two different Colani towers, both are not 100% complete, and both are going to a friend I mentioned, hopefully he will do something cool with them 😀

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 34508 of 52969, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice SB card !
added: yes I just realized had posted in wrong thread... been a long week.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 34510 of 52969, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bid on and won the ARK1000PV (on carpet no less) card for a reasonably cheap price.

ark on carpet.jpg
Filename
ark on carpet.jpg
File size
309.93 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I just threw a big bid on it a week ago and the snipers didn't stand a chance!

Reply 34511 of 52969, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-06-13, 08:18:

The SB is nice but that tower case is the real catch AFAIC..

I think the S3 Vision 864 is a pretty damn good catch too. Those VLB cards are not very common.

Reply 34513 of 52969, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps not the most exciting find ever, but for almost nothing it's basically ok 😀

The two lower ones match perfectly with almost any Pentium 2 without onboard sound.

Attachments

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 34514 of 52969, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
canthearu wrote on 2020-06-13, 10:38:
appiah4 wrote on 2020-06-13, 08:18:

The SB is nice but that tower case is the real catch AFAIC..

I think the S3 Vision 864 is a pretty damn good catch too. Those VLB cards are not very common.

964 and 968 are hi end. 864 is a slightly lower in performance.
I have them all tested on my vlb Dx2.

DOS IS THE POWER OF OUR CHILDHOOD MEMORIES!

Reply 34518 of 52969, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2020-06-13, 14:22:

E S D

Yeah, carpet is good at generating Static electricity and bad at dissipating it.

Should not be used to store components on.

I don't think it really is that big a deal for a quick photo shot, but it is better to keep the components in their antistatic bags (and not on carpet)

Reply 34519 of 52969, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-06-11, 09:14:

Try using UNIVBE.

Thanks for suggesting this! Duke3d is now VERY playable at 640x480. The frame rate is also a bit better in System Shock. Blood is still slightly below playable at 640x480, but I know that game is more demanding than Duke 3D.