VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 34580 of 52822, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also I add the Astec 145W for comparison (that dark thing on the capacitors glue is dust not an hole 😁)

Attachments

• AT_145W_2.JPG
    Filename
    AT_145W_2.JPG
    File size
    201.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • AT_145W_1.JPG
    Filename
    AT_145W_1.JPG
    File size
    173.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 34581 of 52822, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-06-15, 16:52:

I would never trust an AT PSU personally. Recap it if you want, but honestly assuming it's not a case that needs one of those weird nonstandard PSU positions or anything proprietary, I'd rather just grab a At-ATX adapter and go from there.

Quieter, cleaner power output, Less likely to blow up if it's unhappy. Good stuff!

I agree in fact I think I'll use an Enermax of the latest having the -5 volt rail with the common adapter. Cause without that rail I've seen my 386 become strangely unstable with unseen effects on everything. Not happened with an AT psu like these. So never again without the -5 volt line for my own retro tests.

Reply 34582 of 52822, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would never trust an AT PSU personally. Recap it if you want, but honestly assuming it's not a case that needs one of those weird nonstandard PSU positions or anything proprietary, I'd rather just grab a At-ATX adapter and go from there.

I don't know where this myth that AT units are much more likely to blow up than ATX ones came from, but people just keep on repeating that. In fact, most of the cases of power supplies dying and taking components to the grave with them was due to the +5VBSB line going bad in ATX PSUs, which usually killed the components that were powered by the SB line. AT PSUs don't even have a SB line (except for some custom designs).

Sure, an AT PSU can die, but the chances of it taking other components out is the same as an ATX unit of similar quality.

What actually matters is how well the unit was designed and the quality of the components it was built with, and for example that Astec posted by 386SX is probably better for a 386/486 computer than most ATX units out there. Will a modern 800W Corsair work with an adapter and have cleaner power? Yes, probably, but for the components used in these old machines that run on 5V it's not going to make any difference, unlike new processors which run at much lower voltages and every mV of ripple counts. Also, keep in mind the cost of a new power supply + AT-ATX adapter + SATA-Molex adapter(s) + SATA-Berg (Floppy) adapter(s)... why spend money on that when he has a perfectly good unit? You can even refurbish the Astec unit with new caps (although the original Japanese ones should still be fine) and a silent fan for much cheaper!

Reply 34583 of 52822, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Won this on ebay

Didnt know specs or anything and it was(still is) pretty beaten up.

Stripped it down and gave it some TLC. Cleaned up very well and is a fair bit sturdier now.

486 sx 25mhz - 4mb ram - 122mb HDD.

Attachments

• IMG_3526.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3526.jpg
    File size
    390.92 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_3525.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3525.jpg
    File size
    250.08 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_3524.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3524.jpg
    File size
    1.97 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_3520.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3520.jpg
    File size
    1.61 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_3519.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3519.jpg
    File size
    758.97 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 34584 of 52822, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheMobRules wrote on 2020-06-15, 17:37:
I don't know where this myth that AT units are much more likely to blow up than ATX ones came from, but people just keep on repe […]
Show full quote

I don't know where this myth that AT units are much more likely to blow up than ATX ones came from, but people just keep on repeating that. In fact, most of the cases of power supplies dying and taking components to the grave with them was due to the +5VBSB line going bad in ATX PSUs, which usually killed the components that were powered by the SB line. AT PSUs don't even have a SB line (except for some custom designs).

Sure, an AT PSU can die, but the chances of it taking other components out is the same as an ATX unit of similar quality.

What actually matters is how well the unit was designed and the quality of the components it was built with, and for example that Astec posted by 386SX is probably better for a 386/486 computer than most ATX units out there. Will a modern 800W Corsair work with an adapter and have cleaner power? Yes, probably, but for the components used in these old machines that run on 5V it's not going to make any difference, unlike new processors which run at much lower voltages and every mV of ripple counts. Also, keep in mind the cost of a new power supply + AT-ATX adapter + SATA-Molex adapter(s) + SATA-Berg (Floppy) adapter(s)... why spend money on that when he has a perfectly good unit? You can even refurbish the Astec unit with new caps (although the original Japanese ones should still be fine) and a silent fan for much cheaper!

Im not denying the fact AT PSUs are safe and can be made just as efficient as any other quality modern PSU, but when you have a bunch of spare quality name brand ATX units lying around, or you don't have an AT, or you don't know how to soldier and repair a PSU yet, I don't see any particularly good reasion to go about hunting one down. Especially one that's been through god knows what in use.

Power isn't something you wanna play around with, and if you can't repair your AT. I feel much safer throwing a good ATX in their instead. You can get a cheap 500watt EVGA for $50 or less last I checked . 5volt rail is trivial past a certain point, depending on your build.

Just all down to preference. 386SX looks like he might be able to repair his.

If you got the skill and got the supplies for a repair, why not save some cash and fix your AT for instead 😀

Reply 34585 of 52822, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-06-15, 18:25:
Im not denying the fact AT PSUs are safe and can be made just as efficient as any other quality modern PSU, but when you have a […]
Show full quote
I don't know where this myth that AT units are much more likely to blow up than ATX ones came from, but people just keep on repe […]
Show full quote

Im not denying the fact AT PSUs are safe and can be made just as efficient as any other quality modern PSU, but when you have a bunch of spare quality name brand ATX units lying around, or you don't have an AT, or you don't know how to soldier and repair a PSU yet, I don't see any particularly good reasion to go about hunting one down. Especially one that's been through god knows what in use.

Power isn't something you wanna play around with, and if you can't repair your AT. I feel much safer throwing a good ATX in their instead. You can get a cheap 500watt EVGA for $50 or less last I checked . 5volt rail is trivial past a certain point, depending on your build.

Just all down to preference. 386SX looks like he might be able to repair his.

If you got the skill and got the supplies for a repair, why not save some cash and fix your AT for instead 😀

I've one AT psu that died some days ago but I don't think I'll repair cause it's really too cheap in everything. But these above seems to have nothing to repair at all beside maybe I might consider changing capacitors even if they seems ok. It would have sense considering how much time has passed since they're built.
But before I've to try looking at the back of the pcb; sometimes I've seen there's an awful amount of solder on the back covering most part of the psu pcb.

Reply 34586 of 52822, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-06-15, 18:25:

Yeah, it's definitely a valid point of view, personally most of what I build uses components salvaged for as less money as possible, so spending like $50 + misc. adapters in order to power a 386 is a bit much to me, especially considering that newer PSUs look out of place on an AT case. Usually I'm only willing to spend more if it means I can get it looking more period accurate (though I'm not terribly strict either)... so again, personal preference. My objection is more related to the "AT PSUs are just time bombs waiting to go off and burn down your house" argument which I have seen many times. Not denying that there are units of terrible quality, but I think it's useful to be able to recognize which ones are well built.

386SX wrote on 2020-06-15, 18:48:

But before I've to try looking at the back of the pcb; sometimes I've seen there's an awful amount of solder on the back covering most part of the psu pcb.

In my experience that is a more common thing with late 90's/early 00's ATX units, usually where the cables are soldered to the board (FSP really likes solder blobs). But in general AT PSUs are sparsely populated in comparison, so they're very easy to recap. Another important thing to look for is burn marks/dark spots around certain components, those mean that it ran too hot for a period of time. In that case, yes, get rid of it unless it's a proprietary unit that you are stuck with.

Reply 34587 of 52822, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Show full quote

I have had some early 2000s ATX PSUs blow up on me and even take other hardware with it. I haven't had an AT PSU die catastrophically unlike the ATX PSUs.

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 34588 of 52822, by CMB75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Windows9566 wrote on 2020-06-15, 19:18:

I have had some early 2000s ATX PSUs blow up on me and even take other hardware with it. I haven't had an AT PSU die catastrophically unlike the ATX PSUs.

Must have been a Seasonic PSU - blowing and leaking caps > 500.000 units

Reply 34589 of 52822, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LewisRaz wrote on 2020-06-15, 17:46:
Won this on ebay […]
Show full quote

Won this on ebay

Stripped it down and gave it some TLC. Cleaned up very well and is a fair bit sturdier now.

download/file.php?id=85966&mode=view

That's good-looking 😀

Was/is the battery still okay? Or did you take it out?

1982 to 2001

Reply 34590 of 52822, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote on 2020-06-15, 19:36:
download/file.php?id=85966&mode=view […]
Show full quote
LewisRaz wrote on 2020-06-15, 17:46:
Won this on ebay […]
Show full quote

Won this on ebay

download/file.php?id=85966&mode=view

That's good-looking 😀

Was/is the battery still okay? Or did you take it out?

The CMOS complained about being corrupt upon first boot but has retained its settings today at least. I Have physically removed the main battery as I am using an out of spec PSU (1 volt over) and did not want to risk any funny business with that.

Discovered the brightness and contrast settings so now the screen is actually usable too.

Twitter

Reply 34591 of 52822, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 85 card lot and 6 motherboard lot arrived today.

Not a ton of amazing cards but still a really great deal for what I paid:

box.jpg
Filename
box.jpg
File size
611.4 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20200615_132512.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200615_132512.jpg
File size
680.52 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20200615_132753.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200615_132753.jpg
File size
750.69 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20200615_133012.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200615_133012.jpg
File size
696.2 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20200615_133226.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200615_133226.jpg
File size
768.6 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 34592 of 52822, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

More:

IMG_20200615_133433.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200615_133433.jpg
File size
710.38 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20200615_133751.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200615_133751.jpg
File size
718.49 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20200615_134031.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200615_134031.jpg
File size
642.64 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20200615_134734.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200615_134734.jpg
File size
743.94 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20200615_134921.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200615_134921.jpg
File size
811.95 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 34593 of 52822, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And this card... which was strangely wrapped separately on the outside of the box:

IMG_20200615_141534.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200615_141534.jpg
File size
555.84 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Yes, I already removed the barrel batteries from the motherboards. Funnily enough, neither barrel battery looked like it had leaked at all despite the really bad looking damage on the one board. I already did a vinegar bath on both of the boards with barrel batteries and I will try messing with them at some later time.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 34594 of 52822, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very nice stuff! Lots of NIC filler but definitely some goodies...

Promise VLB IDE with BIOS
Matrox IS-Atlas based Compaq VGA card
CL GD5428(?) VLB
Creative Riva 128
Turtle Beach ISA card (can't remember which model now)
AD Echo sound card
And some other decent VGA and sound cards
That VLB board with the CR2032 battery looks a bit rough but if it works it would be nice and doesn't need a battery modification.

Thanks for taking the time to post pics! It's always fun! 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 34596 of 52822, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice lot. Of note to me were:

ISA Crystal+Wavefront Sound Card (AWESOME!) (EDIT: Oh wait wow, that's a Tropez32, it's CS4232+OPL3+2MB Wavetable.. You hit the jackpot!!! This is the ultimate ISA sound card!)
ISA OPTi OPL3 Sound Card
ISA AZTECH Sound Card/Modem x2
ISA ESS Audiodrive ES1868 (I think?)
ISA ESS Audiodrive ES1688
ISA Creative CT2950 (Too bad it has no OPL3)
ISA Creative CT2960 x2
ISA Creative CT4170 x2
ISA Creative CT4180
ISA Realtek VGA (What model is this?)
VLB Promise Controller
VLB Trident VGA (Very curious about what the model number is and how it performs!)
VLB CL-GD5428 (Apparently full 2MB)
PCI Matrox Impression (COOL!!!)
PCI Matrox Millennium II
PCI S3 Virge
PCI ATI Mach64 (I think?)
PCI Sigmatek RealMagic
AGP Intel i740 (I think?.. Or is that a Savage3D?)

The motherboards are not familiar to me but the UMC Socket 3 looks like a good board..

Last edited by appiah4 on 2020-06-15, 21:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 34597 of 52822, by seleryba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bought an AST Bravo LP 4/33.

9026DEA7-B5A9-40DB-9C30-0B037E0EC7A9.jpeg
Filename
File size
135.69 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
C9C5634E-B9DF-442C-841F-5C9EC9B5ACA1.jpeg
Filename
File size
132.87 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 34598 of 52822, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
seleryba wrote on 2020-06-15, 21:12:

Bought an AST Bravo LP 4/33.

Very nice! I just got an AST NB 4/33 today

Twitter

Reply 34599 of 52822, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2020-06-15, 21:11:
Nice lot. Of note to me were: […]
Show full quote

Nice lot. Of note to me were:

ISA Crystal+Wavefront Sound Card (AWESOME!) (EDIT: Oh wait wow, that's a Tropez32, it's CS4232+OPL3+2MB Wavetable.. You hit the jackpot!!! This is the ultimate ISA sound card!)
ISA OPTi OPL3 Sound Card
ISA AZTECH Sound Card/Modem x2
ISA ESS Audiodrive ES1868 (I think?)
ISA ESS Audiodrive ES1688
ISA Creative CT2950 (Too bad it has no OPL3)
ISA Creative CT2960 x2
ISA Creative CT4170 x2
ISA Creative CT4180
ISA Realtek VGA (What model is this?)
VLB Promise Controller
VLB Trident VGA (Very curious about what the model number is and how it performs!)
VLB CL-GD5428 (Apparently full 2MB)
PCI Matrox Impression (COOL!!!)
PCI Matrox Millennium II
PCI S3 Virge
PCI ATI Mach64 (I think?)
PCI Sigmatek RealMagic
AGP Intel i740 (I think?.. Or is that a Savage3D?)

The motherboards are not familiar to me but the UMC Socket 3 looks like a good board..

The TB soundcard is apparently the same as a Tropez + but without the RAM slots. I now have the Tropez, Tropez +, and this card. This was the card that was very easily seen in the seller's pics as it was on the very top.
ISA Realtek VGA - card model number - JA-8227D-V1 - chip model - RTG31051EH
VLB Promise model is - EIDE2300PLUS - Might use this on an older VLB system. My current setup is using an 8GB CF card and the BIOS supports at least up to 8.4GB. I haven't tried anything bigger.
VLB Trident - 9420
PCI ATI Mach64 - yes.
one AGP is a Creative CT6620 - Permedia 2
other AGP is a Trident Blade 3D 9880 Turbo

The UMC board is exactly the same board as the one in my current VLB 486 system except the ISA slots are black instead of white. The one I am currently using was sold under the PC-Chips brand.

I really need to go through my hoard of 486 boards and figure out which ones I want to keep.

Anybody care to hazard a guess at how much I paid for this whole lot?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK