VOGONS

Reply 42 of 76, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Commodore PET 2001 (with actual date codes from 1978 on the IC's)

Anyone who has a computer older than 1978? I might win this challenge 🤣

The oldest PC compatible I currently have is an IBM PC XT from 1984.

Reply 43 of 76, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote on 2020-02-29, 07:53:

This one, of course. IBM 5150.

The more I build out my collection, and connect everything together with KVMs, scalers, HDMI swiches and matrices, etc. etc., the more I appreciate when someone has the discipline to just set up one single, fully complete, period-correct, desktop system. I think I'm going to rotate one system of my own into a standalone workstation to preserve that whole experience of sitting down at "the" computer. Much as I enjoy being able to power on any given build and play with it at a moment's notice, there's a definite charm in the limitations of a single PC setup.

Reply 44 of 76, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1982 Zenith z100. XT.
It has an Dual AMD CPU 8085 / 8088 and 192kb ram.
Color graphics and an 20mb. hard-drive.

Attachments

Reply 45 of 76, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got an Everex 286/8 sitting on my kitchen table, waiting to be reassembled with drives and a freshly painted case. Should be ready soon enough. That 5150 is older than mine though.

*edit here we are:

UAcBwYq.jpg

Last edited by Jed118 on 2020-04-22, 03:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 46 of 76, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My oldest is an IBM Thinkpad 360Ce: 486DX-2 50MHz, 20MB RAM, 380MB HDD, 12" color screen, 1MB WD video adapter. The battery does not even last a second unfortunately. It would be great for DOS games if only had a soundcard 🙁. The laptop got to my home in 1994 running Win 3.11 and IBM's DOS 5.0 IIRC. It was my dad's work laptop. When it was decommissioned, the company let him have it.

Reply 47 of 76, by MetroidHatchling

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My oldest working OEM computer is probably one of my Apple ][s or my TRS-80, but my favorite and best condition of my old computer collection is my IBM 5150. 10/19/81 revision bios 16-64k motherboard with the full 64k memory, two ssr floppy drives and monochromatic display. I even have the original box and Guide to Operations for it. No box for the monitor though, unfortunately.

I want to mainly use this computer as a writing station, like a fancy (way cooler) typewriter I suppose. I love the keyboard, probably more than any other keyboard I've used. Big chunk of metal with great feeling spring-backed keys. It just feels so nice to type on, and I find the green glow of the monitor pretty soothing. I just purchased an OEM 256kb memory expansion card off of ebay, which will hopefully let me get the version of WordPerfect I have running. I also just bought an original Hercules graphics card to play around with. See if I can get Might and Magic II going or something maybe. I'm really curious how any game will look on that green phosphor screen.

Picture of DOS backup disk I made yesterday, just for fun. Finally found a copy of DOS 2.10!

20200424-023445.jpg 20200424-023534.jpg

Reply 48 of 76, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SirNickity wrote on 2020-03-02, 19:59:
derSammler wrote on 2020-02-29, 07:53:

This one, of course. IBM 5150.

The more I build out my collection, and connect everything together with KVMs, scalers, HDMI swiches and matrices, etc. etc., the more I appreciate when someone has the discipline to just set up one single, fully complete, period-correct, desktop system.

Good one. 😉 That 5150 in the picture is actually standing as an eye-catcher in my kitchen. You don't want to see my workshop / hobby room where the rest of my stuff is. 🤣

Reply 49 of 76, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

NEC PC-8201A

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 50 of 76, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote on 2020-02-22, 19:10:

Does commdore 64 count as OEM computer? 😜

There was actually a PC sold under the Commodore brand. I found 2 of these AT systems which both contained a s4 motherboard with Pentium 60MHz.
Iirc this wasn't the 'real' commodore though, it was basically a reboot of the brand. But still, the case badges look nice 😜

EDIT: I wasn't much of a fan of OEM stuff, because one thing that attracted me to building PCs was that they are modular in design.
But I forgot to mention the most important thing: The oldest brand name computer that should still be in working condition, is probably the Mac that I've inherited. I don't know what model number it is but it looks like the 1999 model on this picture here:
https://create.pro/wp-content/uploads/2017/01 … r-1-774x500.jpg
The FS Barton 3200+ was in working condition, but I took some of the parts out for backup purposes and I ended up never put it back together again.

Last edited by Tetrium on 2020-05-30, 23:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 51 of 76, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Compaq Presario 425

I bought it last year, completely stock including the original Windows 3.11 install. I've since taken it back to pure DOS, and added RAM, SB16 and CF reader.

425.jpg
Filename
425.jpg
File size
214.51 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 53 of 76, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does my Multitech MPF-PC count?
It's basically an IBM PC clone (with wide ISA slot layout), date 1984.

Specs:
D8088, 256kB RAM, 5,25" 360kB FDD, CGA,
DTC 5150BX 2, Shugart 712 HDD.
Original keyboard and Monochrome screen

Turns on but can't boot from dos floppy as firmware asks for a DIOS boot file from cp/m. DOS loads from hard disk but after loading DOS, keyboard input is gone...

So yes it is working, but it isn't usable now.
(And 1984 doesn't seem to win any more)

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 54 of 76, by enigmo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got my Amstrad CPC 464 upstairs, circa 1985. 100% working, new power supply, new SCART adaptor. Been a trooper for 35 years now. Next to it is my Amstrad 6128+, same deal, new SCART, new PSU, fully working except for an intermittently stuck keyboard key, circa 1990.

Attachments

Reply 55 of 76, by Dirtbag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have in my possession a Tava Flyer. I just can't find the photo's I have of the thing, It is in working condition however, I do not have any fitting floppy or other drives so its just something I have in storage and do not use it, the screen isn't very fresh.

For pictures I can refer to: http://vintage-laptops.com/?page_id=228&lang=en

I'll see if I can make some pictures of this big old lump 😉

db

Reply 56 of 76, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dirtbag wrote on 2020-06-15, 20:04:
I have in my possession a Tava Flyer. I just can't find the photo's I have of the thing, It is in working condition however, I d […]
Show full quote

I have in my possession a Tava Flyer. I just can't find the photo's I have of the thing, It is in working condition however, I do not have any fitting floppy or other drives so its just something I have in storage and do not use it, the screen isn't very fresh.

db

80186? That's unusual 😀

Just curious: Does it usually need to load just any universal DOS or does it need a specific branded version?

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 57 of 76, by Dirtbag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
waterbeesje wrote on 2020-06-16, 08:37:
Dirtbag wrote on 2020-06-15, 20:04:
I have in my possession a Tava Flyer. I just can't find the photo's I have of the thing, It is in working condition however, I d […]
Show full quote

db

80186? That's unusual 😀

Just curious: Does it usually need to load just any universal DOS or does it need a specific branded version?

I haven't got the slightest idea 😀

I'm going to pick it up this friday at my storage, I'll see if I can get some media and info for ya 😀

For me, this isn't a fun computer to mess with, because frankly I can't do anything with it. I bought it just because I thought it was cool 😀

db

Reply 58 of 76, by Dirtbag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

http://vorselijk.nl/Vogons/Tavaflyer1.jpg
http://vorselijk.nl/Vogons/Tavaflyer2.jpg
http://vorselijk.nl/Vogons/Tavaflyer3.jpg

And yes, it boots from HDD, I haven't got a single floppy to go with it 🙁

@waterbeesie, ver doesnt work, but I hope the second photo answers your question.

db

Reply 59 of 76, by pii_legacy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Apple //c which was my family's first computer. Though, i kinda doubt the floppy drive still works. Better than any Mac, though.

imi wrote on 2020-02-21, 12:19:

probably this carry-1 286

carry286.jpg

Mannnn, i have been wanting a retro PC in a tiny form factor like this with a built in floppy for way too long.