VOGONS

First post, by eduedu_123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, recently I bought a Toshiba Libretto 50CT for play old ms-dos and windows games.
It came with Windows 95 installed on its original slow hard disk, the idea was to change the hard disk to a Compact Flash with an IDE adapter, install Windows 98 SE and overclock it (in fact it's not overclock, it's disable the "under" clock, it's a popular mod for this laptop).
Problem is BEFORE I was going to install Windows 98 SE or to overclock it, the laptop doesn't start any more.
It turns on, also the leds, the speaker makes a little noise (like before did) and if I change the CF+adapter to its original hard disk it make noise, but screen is ever black, I don't know what to do.
I know that the screen works because if I press F12 it shows the BIOS flash utility, I upgraded the BIOS to the last version but every time I turn on the laptop it continuous showing a black screen.
A maybe interesting information is every time I want to turn off the laptop pressing the on/off button it make 28 or 29 or 30 beeps, so I'm really confused, I tried all the possibilities, with/without battery, disassembling and assembling all the laptop, disconnecting the extra RAM module, etc.
Any help please?
Sorry for my poor english, I visited some forums but the only answer I found is something related with hibernation but nothing else..

Reply 1 of 15, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hate to break it to you but this is why one has to be very careful when it comes to vintage laptops and it was a big mistake in thinking overclocking it was going to be a good thing.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 15, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have two suggestions:
1- Check the clock battery (if the PC has one). It shouldn't affect the laptop to the point of not booting, but you never know with these vintage PCs.
2- Reflash the BIOS. This looks like a BIOS problem to me (since F12 still works - AFAIK the flash utility bypasses much of the actual BIOS code so it is less succeptible to BIOS errors, after all it is meant to be used when things go bad). The ROM chip might also be going bad.

Reply 4 of 15, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found this:
https://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/f … ?threadID=16556

Seems like the same exact issue. I'd try reflashing the BIOS as well.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 6 of 15, by wtjcosl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Seems like I have the same exact issue.
I then try 6 different CF-IDE adapter and found one labeled "CF-IDE44/2.0mm ADAPTER V.H2" is working fine with silicondrive 2GB CF card as well as transcend 32GB one.

Reply 7 of 15, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What is the boot behavior when there is no drive attached?
If the FS / MBR is not readable - even with the old HDD - this can lead to it not booting and stalling at a black screen.

You mentioned that you are still able to boot into BIOS, which is a good sign. Besides reflashing, I would also check thoroughly the keyboard ribbon connector. Bad/incomplete connection - due to corrosion or dampening of the contacts will also lead to boot errors, rarely with a keyboard error presented.

I can attest that the 50ct does work well with a Sintechi SD2CF (SD2IDE, Rev1.0 and 1.1) adapter. Regardless, it should work with a CF adapter too, as well as the original drive.
Be sure that a compatible filesystem is present as well as written to index MBR. Above 8GB (or 6.4GB, cant fully remember), the Libretto needs a drive overlay in the veins of EZ-Drive.

An overclock to 100 and 120MHz is possible (if it is a later model that actually comes with an underclocked P120, the earlier ones did not and cannot be overclocked) by cutting and rearranging some legs/contact routes. but you have to adjust multiplier as well as FSB. And even with a new thermal pad in place between passive heatsink (yes, there is one) and CPU, these overclocks will make the Libretto run much hotter, and decrease its lifespan. I decided against it and wanted to leave it as it is, as a mobile P75 is nice to have. (To be honest, I do not plan on carrying it around anyways...) In addition to that, P75s are - at least in my opinion - much rarer and more interesting than P120s, but this is ofc subjective.

PS: I would also advise against W98 and recommend W95B for a P75 instead. especially if you are sitting at the 16MB stock RAM. Even if overclocked and with maxed out 32MB of RAM, this machine is thoroughly at home within Windows 95.

Reply 8 of 15, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) The Libretto 50CT runs fine without CMOS battery.
2) I just checked the default behavior with no hard drive attached. First, it shows the BIOS version. Then it tests RAM and then flashes the "_" sign. If you try to turn it off at that moment id does a lot of beeps as described.
3) There are two versions of BIOS out there. I do not remember the number (it's probably 6.30), but you have to have the earlier to use CF cards as HDD.

By the way, I ditched Windows entirely and use pure DOS in Libretto. I see no real advantages in having Windows. It boots twice as long, eats through the battery and does not really improve much in terms of functionality.

P.S. I checked the dates... This is a little embarrassing.

Reply 9 of 15, by hejluxom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

haha, happens... 😀
I'm just trying to put dos on my 50ct, but I keep on getting the error message that the drive is locked. I'm trying the freedos full installer though...
Tried with different cf card and also with different adapters. Any idea what the problem can be?

Do you think it possible to share your DOS drive image, so I can just write it to a cf disk and use it right away?

RacoonRider wrote on 2020-03-01, 14:48:
1) The Libretto 50CT runs fine without CMOS battery. 2) I just checked the default behavior with no hard drive attached. First, […]
Show full quote

1) The Libretto 50CT runs fine without CMOS battery.
2) I just checked the default behavior with no hard drive attached. First, it shows the BIOS version. Then it tests RAM and then flashes the "_" sign. If you try to turn it off at that moment id does a lot of beeps as described.
3) There are two versions of BIOS out there. I do not remember the number (it's probably 6.30), but you have to have the earlier to use CF cards as HDD.

By the way, I ditched Windows entirely and use pure DOS in Libretto. I see no real advantages in having Windows. It boots twice as long, eats through the battery and does not really improve much in terms of functionality.

P.S. I checked the dates... This is a little embarrassing.

Reply 10 of 15, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hejluxom wrote on 2020-06-12, 07:27:
haha, happens... :) I'm just trying to put dos on my 50ct, but I keep on getting the error message that the drive is locked. I'm […]
Show full quote

haha, happens... 😀
I'm just trying to put dos on my 50ct, but I keep on getting the error message that the drive is locked. I'm trying the freedos full installer though...
Tried with different cf card and also with different adapters. Any idea what the problem can be?

Do you think it possible to share your DOS drive image, so I can just write it to a cf disk and use it right away?

I will share my CF card image with you when I get home via PM. I don't want to accidentally infringe any copyright by posting it here directly.

Reply 11 of 15, by hejluxom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RacoonRider wrote on 2020-06-15, 04:03:

I will share my CF card image with you when I get home via PM. I don't want to accidentally infringe any copyright by posting it here directly.

thanks in advance!

Reply 12 of 15, by hejluxom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for the image! strangely I'm not allowed to reply in private message due to I'm too new here, so I'm thanking you here instead. 😀

RacoonRider wrote on 2020-06-15, 04:03:
hejluxom wrote on 2020-06-12, 07:27:
haha, happens... :) I'm just trying to put dos on my 50ct, but I keep on getting the error message that the drive is locked. I'm […]
Show full quote

haha, happens... 😀

Reply 13 of 15, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hejluxom wrote on 2020-06-18, 11:41:

thanks for the image! strangely I'm not allowed to reply in private message due to I'm too new here, so I'm thanking you here instead. 😀

You are welcome, my friend 😉

Reply 14 of 15, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hejluxom wrote on 2020-06-18, 11:41:

Hey there! Did the image work? 😉

Reply 15 of 15, by hejluxom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there! Did the image work? 😉

Hi, yes! It's awesome! Strangely though I only see the second drive if I write the image on a 1gb card. If I use 2gb the second partition in not visible. So I stick with the 1gb card. 😀
Thanks again!
Find me on insta, @hej.luxom and send me a dm!