VOGONS

First post, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, since I always been bad at the ISAPNP transition, I now face again an issue I feel clueless to deal with but I would like to settle it in a way that seem right. On this computer there is an SB AWE32 model CT2760 and a GUS Classic rev 3.73. The bios support PNP/ISA PnP and Legacy ISA. I would like the SB to be base 220, irq 5, dma 1 and high dma 5 while the gus would be base 240,7,7,7,7. So the in bios I put pnp os installed to no, resources controlled by Manual and assigned IQR 7 and DMA 7 to Legacy ISA, all the rest to PCI/ISA PnP. Note that I did try to put IRQ 5 and DMA 1/5 to Legacy ISA but it did not change anything to the behavior I will explain. So I reset the configuration data and continue to boot.

Now if I go to dos and run diagnose.exe and ask for autoscan it will auto scan select (except for high dma that seem a bit random) the aforementioned configuration and all 4 test will work (8bit, 16bit, synth and awe). On the other hand, setgus.exe diagnose everything allright except for the soundblaster emulation dma 1 because, I guess, there is already an true sb there and the dma are busy since they are both same. Since the ct2760 is not really pnp, I guess it's expected ctcu.exe dont find it and ctcm.exe crash the machine. Now thing start to smell fishy, if I run softmpu 1.91 with "/mpu:330 /sb:220 /irq:5 /output:sbmidi" it tell me "! error: soundblaster not detected at port 220 irq 5". But if I run diagnose.exe before, softmpu find the card. My autoexec init for the awe32 is : "set blaster=a220 i5 d1 h5 p330 e620 t6" then mixerset /p and aweutil /s. Right there I think we start to see a problem, but wait, there's more!

We now boot to win98, in fact, dualboot share the same autoexec.bat, it's just a [menu] config.sys. In device Manager the GUS is set to manual as expected from an legacy card. The weird thing is that if I set the AWE32 in automatic settings, it will find the correct base port and IO, but the IRQ will insist to go to 7 and dma 3 and 7. It will detect no conflict but audio device enumeration will list garbage and waveform audio will only output a muted "toc". Although GF1 midi, SB midi and AWE midi will all sound alright. Now if I set manually the awe32 the problem disappear and I can have waveform from both cards.

Is this the only way to setup a CT2760 or it is a sign of an underlying problem ? Why does I need to run a full diagnose.exe to have softmpu detect the sound blaster, is it related to the same problem ?

Reply 1 of 3, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could try to use the UNISOUND utility to initialize your SB in DOS, it is discussed on this forum. Also, my experience is that you always have to run DIAGNOSE /S (if you don’t use UNISOUND) in DOS.
Did you use CTCU to set the resources of the SB?

Reply 2 of 3, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
digistorm wrote on 2020-06-19, 05:04:

You could try to use the UNISOUND utility to initialize your SB in DOS, it is discussed on this forum. Also, my experience is that you always have to run DIAGNOSE /S (if you don’t use UNISOUND) in DOS.
Did you use CTCU to set the resources of the SB?

Hi digistorm. My initial message was too long so I cut corners when I was talking about ctcu/ctcm. CTCU did not detect the CT2760 and adding it manually as a legacy device did not help ctcm.exe to crash the computer.

I followed your suggestion and searched the forum about UNISOUND.COM, I started to read the documentation but also gave it a try on my system. Under dos it fix the softmpu detection problem. Under windows, if I remove the awe32 device, reboot with unisound.com on the autoexec.bat, add new hardward and configure the device using automatic mode, it does set it correctly. I see there is also mixing support with the utility so that's very interesting. The author must have been a very dedicated man considering he made it alone.

I will add this utility to the core setup of all my vintage computer, I really appreciate you quickly point me to that utility. I'm sure it will also help my comprehension of the isa pnp concept.