VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2.7.x and related WIP versions

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a new thread for dgVoodoo version(s) 2.7.x and their related WIP versions.
If your question is short (casual) or not theme-specific, too general, then post it here.
Please open a separate thread for that otherwise, to keep thread length as short as possible, for easier browsing and searching (as always).

I release the first WIP for the 2.7.x series here:

=========================
WIP73:

- D3D12 backend for Glide
- Adding D3D12 with feature level 11.0 as output API
- Removing support for d3dcompiler_43 (affects only Glide)
- Minor bugfixings when refactoring the code
- Some bugs fixed in DX D3D12 backend (but I didn't address most of the known problems yet)
- Some bugs related to swapchains are also fixed

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP73.zip
http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP73_dbg.zip

This version is basically about Glide. I didn't yet check out and fix the reported problems for DX D3D12.
Btw, Glide x64 is not tested. It may crash at startup or sg like that. 😁

Reply 2 of 474, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I noticed it when I tested D3D12 + AA2 (D3D11 is probably still the same). The reason must be the fact that DXBC shader code is converted into DXIL in the background by the runtime if your OS and driver support it (which is more than probably the case unless you're on an early version of Win10 with an old videocard).

Reply 3 of 474, by Arkblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2020-06-16, 12:19:

Yes, I noticed it when I tested D3D12 + AA2 (D3D11 is probably still the same). The reason must be the fact that DXBC shader code is converted into DXIL in the background by the runtime if your OS and driver support it (which is more than probably the case unless you're on an early version of Win10 with an old videocard).

Thank you.
However, I also thought that DX12 was relevant, and once I ran it on DX11, but it still seems to fix the bug.
In any case, the fix itself is great.

Reply 4 of 474, by Ivan89el

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello
Fighting Force (dx5) confirming the problem: Re: Problematic Windows games list
This is related to z-buffer, if you disable it the problem will disappear.
In the first levels, there is no problem, but then they start:
https://sun9-42.userapi.com/aDmv1_uK6VQpUwUQr … YkpCZcsLOQY.jpg
https://sun3-12.userapi.com/UuWWHh9YbxOWR-PNM … JH-2qs1OZuo.jpg
https://sun3-13.userapi.com/sNkAsXLz7nIrWUOII … Nt8-5klAlm0.jpg
Many versions of the DX were tested (10 10.1 11 12). I have a Radeon 540x and the latest Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.5.1.

Reply 6 of 474, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Isn't that only a kind of partial D3D12 implementation for a game (D3D12 needs newer WDDM version available only on Win10)?
Anyway, I don't know. If you have that version of d3d12.dll, copy it next to the dgVoodoo dll's and see what happens. If it behaves like Win10 D3D12 then it should be recognized and used.

Edit: Cancel... It just came to my mind that I use a Win32 API along with DX12 that's only available in Win8 and up.

Reply 8 of 474, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you! This version (WIP73) fixed the warping problem of Star Trek: Starfleet Command III!
ps. tested using Direct3D 11 (feature level 11.0) on Windows 7 and 10.

However, windows defender claims dgvoodooCpl.exe has "Win32/Wacapew.C!ml" threat. It's probably another false alert.

Reply 9 of 474, by batterymandark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

something made dgvoodoo 2.7 doesn't list one of my installed GPU's , AMD HD5900 which is a legacy gpu that is not fully native supported by windows 10 in the same context as my Intel HDG630 and my NVRTX2080.
is this something that been changed in the new lineup?

I would like to add that the 2.6 latest stable does detect my AMD card

Reply 10 of 474, by Vaporeon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
funkerwolf wrote on 2020-06-19, 09:58:

It just doesn’t have any profit, trying to make dx12 on a heavy legacy, on 7 and 8 due to wddm, if it works, it’s much worse than on the last 10 builds, simply because in fact this is the same wrapper that cuts off unsupported features

If you are a Windows 10 user with the latest features then why do you care? I am simply asking it it's feasible to do for Windows 7 users without too much trouble on the development side.

I think the supported state of an OS is irrelevant, it can be used for as long as the user wishes to use it. Obviously with the more time that passes and the less support it receives it becomes less advised to do certain tasks on such a system, but it does not mean it can never be used again, especially for running software that often runs better on operating systems from a matching era.

Reply 14 of 474, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have too much time these days so I worked on minor things that would never be done or fixed otherwise:

WIP74:

- D3D12 missing stencil plane copy in blitting operations, fixed (DDraw)
- D3D12 optional true partial depth buffer copy in blittings (DDraw) (GPU support required)
- D3D12 optional stencil read/writeback for depth buffer CPU access for forced resolutions/MSAA (DDraw, Glide3 Napalm) (GPU support required)
- D3D12 Draw*Instanced called with wrong parameter(s), fixed (60 Seconds For Mr. Light)
- D3D12 shader data reflection bug in the code generator, fixed (Carrier Gaia Command Mission, Valkyria Chronicles)
- D3D12 some initial optimization for sm5.1 in the code generator
- D3D12 strip-cut optimization for more optimal batching of DrawIndexed calls (D3D, Glide3, Glide3 Napalm)
- D3D12 Glide wrong gamma ramp parameter passing, fixed (single threaded case, NFS2)
- D3D11 minor backend bug fixed (my own tests)
- Output API option 'Best available' didn't choose D3D11 FL10.0 when that was the only available hw feature level, fixed
- Fixing a D3D frontend crash (scene demo Resurrection)
- Fixing a memory alloc bug in x64 D3D9
- Glide/DX cooperation defect causing crash at exit, fixed (NFS2 demo)

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP74.zip
http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP74_dbg.zip

Reply 15 of 474, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote on 2020-06-30, 12:39:

AMD GPU? 😁 Will test again!

EDIT: I can confirm the (totally) black screen after the logo image (game is running, audio is perfect).

Weird. I hope it's not AMD again because then we have the same problem as with DX11...
Just tried SC3 on GTX 1060 and Intel HD and experienced no problems (OK, it's not too fast on Intel with maxed out settings 😁).

Even the dgVoodoo logo doesn't show up?

Reply 19 of 474, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your (still needed) "SplinterCell3_1.05_dgVoodoo_patch" got the logo position corrected AND the black screen gone too! 🤣!
But why?

Ah, found a problem with the frametime in D3D12 and VSync!

D3D12 (nervous frametime)
12.jpg

D3D11 (perfect stable frametime)
11.jpg