VOGONS

First post, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I googled Vogons recommendations for recapping services and it seems like Badcaps is the place to go. Are there any other (US) outfits the collective can reccomend? I have three nice Abit slot-1 boards and one shows definite signs, and one a hint. Might be time for a little preventive medicine...

Reply 1 of 2, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tincup wrote on 2020-06-21, 20:54:

I googled Vogons recommendations for recapping services and it seems like Badcaps is the place to go. Are there any other (US) outfits the collective can reccomend? I have three nice Abit slot-1 boards and one shows definite signs, and one a hint. Might be time for a little preventive medicine...

Perhaps see if there is someone in your local community that is also a vintage computer enthusiast (or even into similar electronics) and that has some good soldering skills. You should be able to get away much cheaper than having to pay a professional service to recap a motherboard for you.
I presume you are just referring to the standard electrolytic & tantalum capacitors and not some more surface mount type work?

Reply 2 of 2, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote on 2020-06-21, 21:31:
tincup wrote on 2020-06-21, 20:54:

Perhaps see if there is someone in your local community that is also a vintage computer enthusiast (or even into similar electronics) and that has some good soldering skills. You should be able to get away much cheaper than having to pay a professional service to recap a motherboard for you.
I presume you are just referring to the standard electrolytic & tantalum capacitors and not some more surface mount type work?

Yep, just the standard cap job. Boards are in good nick otherwise. I'm not connected with any group here but I will snoop around.