VOGONS

Common searches

Eco-warriors to the rescue!

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 60 of 84, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote on 2020-06-19, 23:29:

The climate is definitely warming. We know this from things like melting glaciers and shrinking sea ice. The controversy is over what (or who) is causing it.

I think there is also a good deal of controversy over the rate.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 61 of 84, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-06-22, 13:32:
TechieDude wrote on 2020-06-22, 13:18:

Climate change is NOT, and never was man-made. It IS however man-influenced.

and the second hottest time in recorded history was in the middle ages, log before man influenced events would have cussed the climate to change.

Reply 62 of 84, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
austinham wrote on 2020-06-22, 13:49:

and the second hottest time in recorded history was in the middle ages, log before man influenced events would have cussed the climate to change.

I don't know about that, but I'm pretty certain they didn't have anything that resembled a functional thermometer in the middle ages. They did have the plague, though, which would have probably been much less devastating, had they not gone out of their way to eliminate cats (and their peers who just happened to be a little more educated) because "witchcraft".

Reply 63 of 84, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-06-22, 13:32:
TechieDude wrote on 2020-06-22, 13:18:

Climate change is NOT, and never was man-made. It IS however man-influenced.

That's because they were burning witches a lot then...

Reply 66 of 84, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote on 2020-06-22, 16:14:

Obvious troll is obvious.

I'm not kidding, I actually did that.

The trolling is only a happy side effect though. I genuinely prefer incandescent light bulbs, and I fundamentally disagree with the government having the power to ban them, regardless of potential benefits to the environment.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 67 of 84, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think that in the case of incandescent light bulbs, we are already at the point where it is OK to ban them. There are already viable and long-lasting LED bulbs at all kinds of light spectra, so it really is hard to justify this old technology.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 68 of 84, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not about the technology. It's about the principle of it. You should be able to buy whatever light bulbs you want.

If you have to justify a technology's existence to the bureaucrats responsible for banning things, we wouldn't get very far, and individual choice goes out the window. Even if I am the last man on earth buying incandescent light bulbs, which I might be at this point, then I'd like that privilege.

Besides, is it really worth it to move from 98% of people not using incandescent bulbs of their own accord, to 99.99% of people not using them because we outright banned them?

Edit: by this logic we may as well ban vintage computers! They often use more power than modern PC's, and probably about the same percentage of computer users are using vintage machines as the percentage of people buying incandescent light bulbs.

Reply 70 of 84, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote on 2020-06-22, 16:33:

It's not about the technology. It's about the principle of it. You should be able to buy whatever light bulbs you want.

By that logic you should be able to buy food full of lead and other toxic substances, and food producers should be able to sell it to you - because, you know, freedom.

Reply 71 of 84, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On that topic, are there any LED or CFL bulbs (dimmable) that actually last longer than a few months. I haven't had any luck, even buying ridiculously expensive GE and Philips bulbs. I've changed outlet sockets, installed special dimmer switches designed for them, hooked up a Nicolet to monitor my power quality, etc. I had to switch back to incandescent because they last about 10x longer.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 72 of 84, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ShovelKnight wrote on 2020-06-22, 16:42:
keenmaster486 wrote on 2020-06-22, 16:33:

By that logic you should be able to buy food full of lead and other toxic substances, and food producers should be able to sell it to you - because, you know, freedom.

By that logic, we should be able to buy incandescent bulb alternatives filled with mercury and lead... wait a minute.. 🤣

My Github

Reply 73 of 84, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Strange, all my bulbs are several years old now. But I pay a bit extra for the Cree brand.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GP7BGRY/ref=cm_s … i_Ngo8EbC40V1JH

Those have been running in my house for 4-8 hours a day for 3 years now

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 74 of 84, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2020-06-22, 16:46:

On that topic, are there any LED or CFL bulbs (dimmable) that actually last longer than a few months. I haven't had any luck, even buying ridiculously expensive GE and Philips bulbs. I've changed outlet sockets, installed special dimmer switches designed for them, hooked up a Nicolet to monitor my power quality, etc. I had to switch back to incandescent because they last about 10x longer.

I bought a bunch of Philips "warm white" CCFL bulbs in 2014 and replaced them with Osram LEDs last year. Their longevity has not been an issue for me. Cheap IKEA LED bulbs also last for a long time in my experience, but I have no idea whether they're dimmable or not.

Reply 75 of 84, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote on 2020-06-22, 16:55:

Strange, all my bulbs are several years old now. But I pay a bit extra for the Cree brand.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GP7BGRY/ref=cm_s … i_Ngo8EbC40V1JH

Those have been running in my house for 4-8 hours a day for 3 years now

I guess I'll try those next. Hopefully they last longer. I tore apart one of my old Philips LED dimmable bulbs before, and it wasn't the actual LED that failed, it was a capacitor(?) on the tiny circuit board inside that had melted.

Edit: Oh also, I found with dimmer switches, even the expensive CFL/LED ones I've bought, they still appear to only dim to a certain point and then cut off. So either it is just really bright on full, or medium-low brightness and then it cuts off before it actually gets really dim like a normal incandescent. This is probably due to the low current cutoff of the LED. I've been trying to find a good PWM controlled dimmer that works with 120VAC, but haven't had any luck. Maybe I'll just build one.

My Github

Reply 76 of 84, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ShovelKnight wrote on 2020-06-22, 16:42:

That is correct.

Reply 77 of 84, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2020-06-22, 16:20:

I think that in the case of incandescent light bulbs, we are already at the point where it is OK to ban them. There are already viable and long-lasting LED bulbs at all kinds of light spectra, so it really is hard to justify this old technology.

heat lamp, sun lamp and lava lamps?

Reply 78 of 84, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TechieDude wrote on 2020-06-22, 14:37:

I don't know about that, but I'm pretty certain they didn't have anything that resembled a functional thermometer in the middle ages. They did have the plague, though, which would have probably been much less devastating, had they not gone out of their way to eliminate cats (and their peers who just happened to be a little more educated) because "witchcraft".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Warm_Period

Reply 79 of 84, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
austinham wrote on 2020-06-22, 17:43:
dr_st wrote on 2020-06-22, 16:20:

heat lamp, sun lamp and lava lamps?

Also, try using an LED bulb in an oven.