VOGONS

Common searches

Apple is getting off Intel CPU’s ?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 80 of 547, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am Airplaying it NOW to my 4k 65-inch TV in Surround Sound 7.1 from my MacBook Pro.
Works great and sounds Awesome !

Attachments

Reply 83 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yeah, but the transition is supposed to be over two years and still intel macs going to be released.
All very interesting.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 84 of 547, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote on 2020-06-22, 19:01:

Yeah, but the transition is supposed to be over two years and still intel macs going to be released.
All very interesting.

Releasing new MACs with an effectively anounced EOL architecture is indeed interesting . Transition is 2years, but did they say when x86 sunset was due, support-wise ?

Reply 85 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think that's per device, but I think they didn't say. I only followed a live ticker not the keynote itself

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 86 of 547, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-06-22, 18:07:

I am Airplaying it NOW to my 4k 65-inch TV in Surround Sound 7.1 from my MacBook Pro.
Works great and sounds Awesome !

Wopw! This P4 played it fine so MAH! When the cross over happens it might be a good idea to get a Mac 🤣. No silly butteryfly switched keyboards yaaa.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 87 of 547, by brownk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

(Feb/2016) The Most Important Apple Executive You’ve Never Heard Of
https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-johny … hief-chipmaker/

By the time this was release, the writing was on the wall.
Actually, in the last part of WWDC 2020, the very guy in the article took you into how Apple approached their own silicon.

Reply 88 of 547, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-06-17, 08:42:

The iPad Pro cpu A12 is pretty powerful . Faster than an intel quad core i5.

Exactly which i5?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 89 of 547, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-06-23, 01:23:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-06-17, 08:42:

The iPad Pro cpu A12 is pretty powerful . Faster than an intel quad core i5.

Exactly which i5?

All of them, it's more aerodynamic when thrown, so it has faster air-speed . 😉

Seriously, I would like to know in which benchmark(s)/application(s) .

Reply 90 of 547, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You'll have to wait since all I ever see is BS as far as benchmarks for arm processors go. I have no doubt that it's intentional. It isn't very hard to:
1. Provide specs of the machines being benchmarked to include the processor make and model.
2. Provide info on what compiler used and compiler flags
3. Use a common set of applications and/or methods across operating systems.
4. List the length of time the benchmarks were ran
5. List the number of cores utilized for the benchmark.
6. Thermals, thorttling and CPU utilization
7. Synthetic benchmarks are fine but only in addition to real-world benchmarks
8. etc

I really have no interest in what people want to believe to justify their purchase or future purchase. Facts are all that matter.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 91 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

[start rant]

I will not use an ARM mac, never. The 2013 rMBP i7 13-inch is my last Mac. I have zero interest in wasting my time with a 2 year transition, finding replacements for my web development apps, trying to emulate/virtualize Windows (new or old versions) for my gaming purposes in an underpowered ARM mac. Their demo at WWDC was not enough to convince me. Emulation (Rosetta 2) is not the way I want to go.

Most of my third party apps for web development will not be ported/updated or run at optimal speed with emulation (I have zero interest in letting Rosetta 2 nightmare kill my sleep overnight with issues again, after PPC-> Intel nightmares). No thanks but no thanks. I have been down this road and I will not go down this road again, Apple.

For example, Panic Coda 2 is my favorite and only one optimal IDE for my web development and I will not stop using it even though Panic ceased its development in favour of a terrible alternative - Panic Nova. I have been beta testing Nova, and it’s freaking badly designed and terrible to use. Panic has no plans to support Coda through a such transition, and I am infuriated with the path chosen by Apple for their Mac development. I was already angry when they killed 32 bit app support in macOS Catalina - apps I paid for werent updated for 64 bit OS!! My dads favorite text editor, TextWrangler, is not supported and he was given the option to use BBEdit. He refused it. Constantly changing the UI made it worse for him, too.

No BootCamp support is another reason why I am leaving the Mac environment.

I’ll just start slowly moving to a Linux/Windows 10 dual boot environment. Linux for work and Win 10 for gaming. I may still use iPhone/iPad where I think it is the right place for ARM cpus, but for me, its the final straw. Goodbye Mac.

ARM macs will be just a flop, a big shot in their foot. In 4 years they will be begging to use Intel CPUs again. I do not believe in all the BS they hyped for these ARMs in their WWDC keynote. BTW, the only thing that captured my interest in that keynote was the handwriting recognition for iPad. This was the only useful thing for me.

[/end rant]

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 93 of 547, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mark my words, this will steer Apple towards near irrelevance the way PowerPC did back in the day. Then they will come back and beg to AMD for a CPU, eventually.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 94 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

All that talk... Just to remind everyone, Apple's desktop business is almost irrelevant compared to their mobile devices, tablets and I guess their watches.
That's why they can risk it. If it blows up probably not much harm done...

Reply 95 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-06-23, 06:38:

Mark my words, this will steer Apple towards near irrelevance the way PowerPC did back in the day. Then they will come back and beg to AMD for a CPU, eventually.

Yes. I fully believe in that.

I am currently pissed off, but must admit that if they do convince me that everything I have installed here will run flawlessly and if the Windows performance under Parallels will not harm my racing games (which I doubt very much), including my retro VMs, then I might even reconsider.

But as it stands, it’s a big NO from me, I already started testing linux distros to find one that meets my criteria. Actually I am very interested and inclined to use elementaryOS. Similar UI, similar stuff, so an easier and quicker transition for me. Plus, getting a cheaper but more powerful laptop is also a plus in this scenario, where I leave the Macs for a pc laptop.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 96 of 547, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-06-23, 06:38:

The Mac is already a very niche thing (5% of the total PC market which is diminutive compared to the smartphone market) and this transition really doesn't change anything.

Reply 97 of 547, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2020-06-23, 04:06:

My dads favorite text editor, TextWrangler, is not supported and he was given the option to use BBEdit. He refused it. Constantly changing the UI made it worse for him, too.

I'm sorry but this is the most hilarious thing in this thread. TextWrangler literally was just a free version of BBEdit, and the current free version of BBEdit is... wait for it... just like TextWrangler!

Reply 98 of 547, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2020-06-23, 06:50:

Actually I am very interested and inclined to use elementaryOS. Similar UI, similar stuff, so an easier and quicker transition for me. Plus, getting a cheaper but more powerful laptop is also a plus in this scenario, where I leave the Macs for a pc laptop.

But does it run Panic Coda 2?

Reply 99 of 547, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I find it strange when people complain about Apple's lack of backwards compatibility as that's never been Apple's focus and I have a certain level of respect of them for it.

Apple have the luxury of simply dropping say, 32bit support. Job done. Thats a whole lot of code and support they can can cross off their todo list. It's one of the reasons "things just work"
It takes a some balls (or arrogance) to knowingly cut off a percentage of your customers but Apple are constantly doing this dropping the headphone socket in iPhone, only having USB C, etc. it's either move with them or get left behind.

Microsoft however are forced to keep patching and patching finding the right balance of making their OS suitable/secure for modern day use but keeping enough code to let me run edit.com 30 years ago. No wonder its a bloated mess.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple will end up pushing and "encouraging" 3rd parties to push more and more things into the cloud and the Mac is more like a terminal client to their "mainframe in the sky"
I don't like that idea but seems to be the way the world is moving (Office 365, Netflix, etc) and to give them credit Apple has always been a bit ahead in the curve.