VOGONS

First post, by undeon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

The idea of the project is to use a hardware newer than period, to use less power a/or give more performance, but keeping the compatibility as high as possible. I'm planning to play games from 95-01 at high resolution (1600x1200) and AA if possible...

Motherboard: Asus P5PE-VM (Intel 865G + ICH5, socket 775, 1 AGP 8X, 3 PCI, 2 SATA, Dual Channel DDR400, up to 2GB)
CPU: Celeron 450 (Conroe based, 2.2GHz, 512kb cache, only 35W TDP)
CPU Cooler: Stock Intel cooler (if it works nice on a 84W Celeron, will work fine on a 35W Celeron)
Memory: 1GB (2x512MB) DDR400 (planning to increase it to 2GB someday)
HD: 240GB SSD
Graphics: Quadro FX1000 (3/4 of the GeForce FX5800 clocks)
Sound card: Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
Monitor: Dell 2007FPB (20', 1600x1200, 60Hz)
PSU: FSP 300W 80 Plus Gold

Change notes:

First two edits:
I didnt remember very well, but I've gived up on a Gigabyte GA-VM800PMC, because of incompatibility with SATA drivers. The Windows always hangs on detecting drivers. One time it passed this part, but I cant install the SATA driver later... I switched to a P5PE-VM and everything went smoth... Including an 500GB SSHD.

2020-06-08:
I switched to a Celeron 450 (2.2GHz, 35W TDP) and installed the nVidia Quadro FX1000. But his cooler was very loud. I cleaned it and it got fine.

2020-06-20:
I gived up the Thermaltake Typhoon for a while, because this board has a few tall caps. I'll try recap it using smaller caps, if possible, then I'll think about the Typhoon again.
I installed a 240GB SSD, to not notice any difference in performance... The installation was a pain in @ss, because of the motherboard and the cloning software... More details below...
The Quadro cooler died =( I brought an Evercool Cyclone and I'll wait it arives to do anything.
I'm in love with Windows Millenium... Details below...

2020-06-28:
Added 512MB RAM, Audigy 2ZS, 127GB and 4GB RAM patch from Rudolph Loew.
The NFS2:SE is not working anymore on Windows XP and I dont know why, 🤣.

2020-07-02:
Evercool Cyclone arrived and exceed spectations. It's working fine and silently...
I'm giving up on Windows XP, but I'll not uninstall it yet, because the WiFi works better there than ME (30-50mbps vs 1-6mbps)

2020-07-05:
First bloo... I mean... First pics!
Unreal running fine, but at 1024x768, on Direct3D. Sound is fine too.

2020-07-26:
New games tested.

PICS:

Details

IC6oBUB.png
ZimBLN0.jpg
nct4iBa.jpg

Games tested:

Castle of The Winds I & II
- Runs fine, but it's a Win 3.x game.

F-22 Lightning II
- Installed correctly, but did not recognize the sound card for music. Voices and SFX are ok.

F-22 Raptor
- Installed correctly, but it is already for Windows, as well as Necrodome.

Grand Prix II
- Attempts to install, but complains about native DOS mode.

Mario & Luigi
- No music or special effects. But I don't remember if this game even has any sound at all kkkkk

Necrodome
- It ran 100%, but it is already for Windows, so ok.

Need for Speed II - Special Edition
- Runs fine.

Quarantine
- Attempts to install, but complains about native DOS mode.

Shattered Steel
- Installed correctly, opened the game correctly, but he asks for the CD when start a mission, even with the ISO of the game mounted. I'll have to get him a NOCD patch.

Skyroads
- No music. Special effects only.

Unreal Gold
- Slow 3dfx performance at 1600x1200@16 bit color, insanely fast D3D and OpenGL performance at 1600x1200@32 bit color

Last edited by undeon on 2020-07-26, 21:19. Edited 12 times in total.

Reply 1 of 42, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

> I'm planning to play games from 95-01 with high resolution (1600x1200) and AA if possible...

A Geforce FX5900Ultra would be perfect for this...but I am curious why bother with WinXP at all for this period of games?

Reply 2 of 42, by undeon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-05-04, 00:11:

A Geforce FX5900Ultra would be perfect for this...but I am curious why bother with WinXP at all for this period of games?

I want to play the games on Windows XP, if they run better on that OS than Win98 for any reason... I'll make a few compatibility tests...

And if my rig support, I'll try a few games from 01-04, but not expecting high resolutions or effects...

Reply 4 of 42, by undeon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-05-04, 01:10:

Well you might as well run WinXP as there are no motherboard chipset drivers for Win98 for that mobo.

Watching people try and bridge Win98/XP is the most painful thing coming to this forum...

Well, Via has Win98 drivers for this chipset in his site... Phils has them too as a backup location...

They aren't good or did not work?

Reply 5 of 42, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You may have some issues running Win98 on a socket 775 but maybe not ! There are ways to make things work stable if you are not concerned about overall performance. Am sure if you spend a bit of time you can get Win98se running on that Gigabyte board just fine ! You might stumble on some SATA issues as Win98 does not understand SATA 🤣.. You might have to use a real IDE HD...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 42, by undeon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-05-04, 02:57:

You may have some issues running Win98 on a socket 775 but maybe not ! There are ways to make things work stable if you are not concerned about overall performance. Am sure if you spend a bit of time you can get Win98se running on that Gigabyte board just fine ! You might stumble on some SATA issues as Win98 does not understand SATA 🤣.. You might have to use a real IDE HD...

Well... I'm not the first using this board with Win98 hehehe... I hope I dont find any problems...

EDIT: I forgot to add, that this board has IDE compatibility mode for his SATA ports.

BTW...

What about a FSP 300W 80 Plus Gold PSU for this system? I believe it's enough, since the CPU has 35W TDP and this GPU didnt draw a lot too...

Last edited by undeon on 2020-05-05, 11:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 42, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
undeon wrote on 2020-05-04, 21:41:

What about a FSP 300W 80 Plus Gold PSU for this system? I believe it's enough, since the CPU has 35W TDP and this GPU didnt draw a lot too...

The FSP Group ATX-300TA can do max 120W on the combined 3.3+5v and near 200W on the dual 12v so it should be enough iMO

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 42, by undeon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-05-04, 22:17:

The FSP Group ATX-300TA can do max 120W on the combined 3.3+5v and near 200W on the dual 12v so it should be enough iMO

This PSU is the FSP300-60EGA. It has 103W on the combined 3.3V + 5V. BUT... It's 80 Plus Gold , which is cool 😁

---------------------------

The MoBo, E5300, stock CPU cooler and 2x1GB DDR2 was bought in an bundle for ~R$125,00 (22 USD). The PSU is brand new. I paid R$115,00 (20 USD) for it...

They will arrive next week.

Reply 9 of 42, by undeon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Meeehhh one of the memories is not working. That's the problem of "test" by just powering on the system. Testing these memories would take 25min each, but the second memory showed errors at the start of the test...

Anyway... I found a P5PE-VM with 3 bad capacitors... But I believe the board is working (I just found the board and I'm at working time right now... so I cant test it yet, but I'll test it today)

It's a better motherboard, because uses Intel chipset, has Dual Channel DDR 400 (faster than single channel DDR2 533), 2x SATA, etc, etc...

Reply 10 of 42, by undeon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After a weekend strugling with the GA-VM800PMC (wont go past hardware detection at installation and wont accept any of the hyperion drivers i've tryied), I decided to give P5PE-VM a try... After a few minutes, the Windows (ME) was installed just fine, all the drivers installed (except for a USB driver if I remember correctly) and everything working FINE. Even WiFi is working.

I've brought a Quadro FX1000 (3/4 of GeForce FX 5800 performance) that will arrive this or next week.

I found a Thermaltake Typhoon CPU cooler... It's a "tower" cooler, but the heatsinks are on horizontal, and has a huge 12cm fan who cools down everything close the CPU. o/

After putting everything together I'll take a few photos of the build.

Cya

Reply 11 of 42, by undeon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Installed Windows XP SP2 that I buyied this weekend, then I installed all the updates, and activated it by calling Microsoft Support... It's the first time I've done that... Their tech support is very good.

Then, I installed the latest graphics drivers... I know this may give me some headaches in the future, but I want to try the lastest drivers first, and go back to an older driver if it crash any game...

The first game I tested was Need for Speed II Special Edition... It runs absolutelly perfect.. Graphics, music, sound effects, voices... Because of certain limitations here, I tested it on my 16:9 screen... So the graphics was streched... But the game looks good anyway (if you ignore the oval steering wheel... haha)

I'll update the main thread with the games I've tested and comments...

Edit: Since this is not a common build, (775, Quadro FX1000, WinME, WinXP..) if there's any game you want me to test on it, I'll be glad to do... 😀

Reply 12 of 42, by Desomondo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been using a socket 775 865G chipset board as my Win98 machine for well over a year now, no problems what so ever. I've also ran WinME, 2k and XP on it for brief periods without issues too. I only stick to 98 for DOS support. Good luck with the rest of your build. I look forward to any follow ups!

Win98: PII 400 | 440BX | Voodoo3 | Live + SB16
WinME: P4 HT 641 | 865G | Geforce4 Ti4400 | Audigy2ZS
WinXP: C2 Q9400 | G41 | Geforce GTX 280 | X-Fi
Win7: i7 2600K | P67 | Geforce GTX 980ti | X-Fi
Win10: R7 5800X | X570 | Radeon RX 6800 | X-Fi Titanium

Reply 13 of 42, by undeon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This weekend was a case of love and hate...

My SSD arrived. An WD Green 240GB SATA 3. Its worked fine on every board I've tryied, except for the P5PE-VM... This board didnt recognized it at all... Searching here, i found this thread and tryied this mod BIOS... Now the board is even better than before... Recognizes the SSD perfectly (and fixed an issue I had on the dual channel too...)

I decided to not reinstall everything, so I searched for an clone software... After a few tries, I found Macrium Reflect and it worked almost like a charm... Inside the Windows XP boot screen, the Windows ME boot didnt worked anymore, but the XP boot worked just fine... Tryied to edit BOOT.INI, without success... Then, the last option was to reinstall Millenium... And that was the best part of the proccess

The setup asked me If I wanted to keep my earlier installation or not... I choose NO... Then it asked for the location of the installation... C:\ Windows...
And that was all it asked... The installation went smooth and after the reboot, the Windows XP boot screen was kept intact, except the default option now was the Millenium instead of XP. An HUGE "?" came up in my head, but since the default option was changed... Why not? I selected Millenium and it booted fine... It finished the instalation without any issue, all installed programs kept intact, except for the graphics card driver, but I've installed it again and everything is fine now...

Since i've changed a few parts on the system (removed the graphics card to speed up the process of testing, added and removed the memory, etc), my XP lost its activation... I'll call Microsoft again later...

The Quadro cooler died... RIP... It's gone... I already brought an replacement for it... Evercool Cyclone... I'll wait it to arive to power this machine again.

Tested the easiest game of all to get running on a modern (for the period) hardware... Castle of The Winds... It's a 3.11 turn based RPG made all of sprites without any sound... I runs fine on every 32bit Windows...

That's all folks

Last edited by undeon on 2020-06-23, 14:02. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 15 of 42, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

WinMe just didn't aged well. All benefits it had over Win9x are completely irrelevant now, but worse DOS support and instability are still there.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 17 of 42, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With decent drivers and the obvious changes made ME is plenty stable if you're working mostly in the Windows environment.

Built-in USB flash drive support and native Zip folder support are also quite nice to have when setting up a machine.

Basically., I find ME takes far less time to get set up than a similar 98SE configuration in many cases.

Reply 18 of 42, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is it really less stable than Win9x? In what way?

Since ME is quite picky with drivers, it's less stable.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.