VOGONS

PIIL representing the VIA C3 Gang

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 22, by pii_legacy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MKT_Gundam wrote on 2020-06-23, 00:35:

Nice!. I would replace the matrox for a cheap GF2 mx avoiding the DOS game issues and better performance with Open GL gameslike Quake 1 and 2.

Hey thanks for that man, I was undecided between a gf2 or something else from nVidia, or if I should keep the Rage for DOS and invest in something that supports Glide.

The thing I really couldn’t stand about the Rage was seemingly unavoidable choppiness with 3D. The Matrox is smooth like buttah. Plus, it works very well with my cheap vga-to-HDMI upscale since it can handle many more output resolutions than the Rage did.

Reply 21 of 22, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pii_legacy wrote on 2020-06-23, 10:14:
MKT_Gundam wrote on 2020-06-23, 00:35:

Nice!. I would replace the matrox for a cheap GF2 mx avoiding the DOS game issues and better performance with Open GL gameslike Quake 1 and 2.

Hey thanks for that man, I was undecided between a gf2 or something else from nVidia, or if I should keep the Rage for DOS and invest in something that supports Glide.

The thing I really couldn’t stand about the Rage was seemingly unavoidable choppiness with 3D. The Matrox is smooth like buttah. Plus, it works very well with my cheap vga-to-HDMI upscale since it can handle many more output resolutions than the Rage did.

My C3 rig has a banshee. Played other day SIn. Playabe enough.

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 22 of 22, by tauro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pii_legacy wrote on 2020-06-08, 13:56:
MKT_Gundam wrote on 2020-06-08, 02:38:

Is the onboard sound a VIA chip too? If lucky, would be compatible with DOS games.

Although the rest of the board is filled with VIA chips, I was surprised the sound was not by VIA. It's C-Media CMI9761A AC97 audio. Didn't find any DOS drivers, sadly.

I wanted to point out that the CMI9761A is not compatible with DOS in any way. It's AC97. Datasheet here.
It's quite a bummer. PCI sound cards are not easy to find and they're usually not fully compatible with legacy SB16.