Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 34840 of 52737, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

😉

meanwhile I found this Guillemot Maxi Sound Fortissimo... without box obviously ^^

hardware39_09.jpg
Filename
hardware39_09.jpg
File size
473.08 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 34841 of 52737, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another Artex post.. FML..

@imi I have this card in my Deskpro EN-SFF, enjoy. Its a great card.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 34843 of 52737, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CMB75 wrote on 2020-06-26, 18:58:
imi wrote on 2020-06-26, 18:19:

just where do you find these things x3

That would be very interesting to know ... on the other hand that would probably reduce his findings 😉

If I had to guess, he probably pays more to get these than most of us would, so I don't think we'd be competing much. 😁

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 34844 of 52737, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2020-06-26, 20:42:

That would be very interesting to know ... on the other hand that would probably reduce his findings 😉

If I had to guess, he probably pays more to get these than most of us would, so I don't think we'd be competing much. 😁

If I had not kept some parts that are now quite rare and expensive (realistically unaffordable to me now, or at least out of scope of my very understanding wife's acceptable limits), I would have had to make compromises that my OCD temperament would not have been happy with .

Reply 34845 of 52737, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you are known to pay top dollar for some kind of items people will look you up no searching needed.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 34846 of 52737, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-06-26, 02:51:
Bought this mystery box today for a damn good price. […]
Show full quote

Bought this mystery box today for a damn good price.

O98jnV1l.jpg

More pics to follow plus a YouTube video.

Great bargain! Just the 5.25" floppy drive alone is worth 3 times the amount you paid for the whole thing.

I had a very similar looking case that I sold a while ago - is it a "flip-top" one?

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 34847 of 52737, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nope. Slide in and out. Although, similar design, but if it was the flip top one,that would be so cool.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 34848 of 52737, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a "scrap" lot for about €40.
So far tested and working:
ASUS A7V333 with a 2400+ (B step).
Epox EP-9NDA3J with an A64 3200+, a few bulging caps but working.
Gainward 6600GT AGP (with bridge chip).
Some OEM FX 5200, theres always one right? =)
ISA 3C509B, cant have to many of those.
PCI D-Link DFE-530TX.
SB Live 5.1 (SB0060).
Turte Beach Santa Cruz.
Matrox G450 Marvel eTV (is that rare?), looks really funky!
2x1GB Kingston DDR 400 sticks (accepts really tight timings in the EPOX)

And still a lot to test!
Oh and everything in absolutely disgusting condition.
Imagine a home with chain smokers and lots of pets, YUCK!
Not a fan was running cause of foul smelling dust.
Been cleaning all day ........

Last edited by bofh.fromhell on 2020-06-26, 23:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 34850 of 52737, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nothing too special today... but in a very good price.
CT2770 [A] SB16 Value with true OPL3 which I already owned, but I really like these cards and Elsa Winner 1000/R3D which looks like it's missing half of the SMT components, but in fact it's not (it shared PCB with other cards like Victory Erazor-AGP-4).

Attachments

Last edited by HanJammer on 2020-06-26, 23:29. Edited 1 time in total.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 34851 of 52737, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You would guess right.... I'll be the first to admit I mostly overpay for these items but my collection has gotten to a point now where I really am only looking for very specific items and will admittedly pay a premium to do so. But on the other hand, this is such a weird hobby where one person's junk is a VOGONS treasure. All of these items I post are eBay findings, some with the help of some other VOGONS who know what I'm looking for typically. That Cyrix 133/4x I would have completely missed if it wasn't for the help of a VOGONS friend on the lookout. So it's a good network of peeps to have in your corner!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 34852 of 52737, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote on 2020-06-26, 23:27:

You would guess right.... I'll be the first to admit I mostly overpay for these items but my collection has gotten to a point now where I really am only looking for very specific items and will admittedly pay a premium to do so. But on the other hand, this is such a weird hobby where one person's junk is a VOGONS treasure. All of these items I post are eBay findings, some with the help of some other VOGONS who know what I'm looking for typically. That Cyrix 133/4x I would have completely missed if it wasn't for the help of a VOGONS friend on the lookout.

It gets even stranger because frequently one's VOGONer's junk is other VOGONer's treasure 😉

Also I feel the same, yet sometimes it's hard to pass an item in a very good condition and price even if you are not looking for it... that's how I bought this some time ago (I don't think I ever uploaded pics of these items in this thread, because I bought way too much stuff after the pandemic begun and I didn't visited VOGONS for quite some time)...

Attachments

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 34853 of 52737, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some graphic cards too...

Attachments

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 34854 of 52737, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some complete builds in fully working condition (one of the PC20-III I owned before - just a comparison shot of early and late PC20-III - and I already sold the one I bought).

Attachments

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 34855 of 52737, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And this Logitech scanner... it was missing one floppy drive (not a problem) and seller didn't sent me the interface card, but he found it after some persuasion...

Attachments

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 34856 of 52737, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Everyone wants a proper geforce 2 eventually.

Finally found one for myself ... with an OK, but not great price!

s-l1600 (1).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (1).jpg
File size
298.81 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Geforce 2 Pro - with S-Video out.

My carpet ARK1000PV arrived. Had a couple of bent pins on the ARK chip, but that is sorted now and the card runs fine. Haven't really tested performance properly yet.

Reply 34858 of 52737, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HanJammer wrote on 2020-06-26, 23:55:

Some complete builds in fully working condition (one of the PC20-III I owned before - just a comparison shot of early and late PC20-III - and I already sold the one I bought).

Nice ! Those old boxes look great ! I have no issue with smokers, my dad was one and nearly everything I ever bought that came from one worked but did need some major cleaning 🤣.

chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-06-27, 01:35:

Nice find. I wish I could go back and not sell my GeForce 2 pro and ultra cards.

Yep sold or gave away back in the upgrade years ! I still have a few of the GF 3 but no 2's or 4's 🙁

Bought a Octek 286 Fox M motherboard from good fellow Vogon's member and it arrived in perfect shape. Thanks !
Will post pics after I get it mounted in mini desktop case.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 34859 of 52737, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If I remember correct, my Powerleap PL-IP3T (which will likely end up in my P3B-F) came from (or passed through) a smoking environment. It cleaned up fine and with little effort, even the fan .

The Aopen case that currently houses my main retro machine was also smoked and quite strongly caked in sticky nicotine/tar dust inside, and that's after being thoroughly blasted with compressed to remove the loose dust/nicotine/tar . I ended up dousing the inner metal frame with IPA and rubbing it clean. Every removable plastic part was given a bath . I recycled the 250W PSU, because between being infiltrated with nicotine dust in all its crevices, having multiple leaky caps and needing a new fan, it just was not worth the effort to me . The end result was worth it (case was 20 CAN$), but it took me several hours to clean .

The point to all this is that parts from a smoking environment are not necessarily a significant issue, unless they come from the home of a chain-smoker who did not believe in ever opening a window .