VOGONS

First post, by AEV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, I'm wondering if you could give me a little info about using a 3DFX card with Incubation by Blue Byte.

When my Voodoo 3 still worked Incubation gave an error when trying to use the 3DFX mode something like "3D card not found. Restart using DirectX5". I tried using OpenGLide as well but still got the same error. I read that Incubation works fine with a Voodoo 2 and I'm looking to buy one on Ebay.

Does anybody know if it's possible to use a Voodoo 3 or later with Incubation? If so, how do you do it.

Is there any way to get Incubation working with OpenGLide?

Do many Glide games not work with a Voodoo 3?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are some really stupid games that can only work with a Voodoo or Voodoo^2 card. Not working with OpenGLide, however, is weird. From the message you got, though, it sounds like it's using DirectX, not Glide. 3dfx video cards WILL have problems with modern APIs such as DX. Not sure what to tell you on this one.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 13, by AEV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Could this game need a glide2x.ovl file or something.

It's definitely a 3DFX (Glide) compatible game, but I've only been able to play it using software mode.

The exact error it gives is:

>>>>>>>>>3Dfx card not detected<<<<<<<<<

Restart game with DirectX 5.0

I was wondering if any old games bypassed using the Glide libraries and directly accessed the 3DFX hardware.

Reply 3 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is the weirdest message I've ever seen. Glide and DirectX are completely different APIs. There should be no reason to need to restart with any version of DirectX.

Have you tried the Application Compatibility Toolkit? I think it has an option to 'fake' the version of DirectX -- that might be what is stopping things up.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 13, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AEV wrote:

Hi guys, I'm wondering if you could give me a little info about using a 3DFX card with Incubation by Blue Byte.

When my Voodoo 3 still worked Incubation gave an error when trying to use the 3DFX mode something like "3D card not found. Restart using DirectX5". I tried using OpenGLide as well but still got the same error. I read that Incubation works fine with a Voodoo 2 and I'm looking to buy one on Ebay.

What is your video card now? It's not in your profile.

Does anybody know if it's possible to use a Voodoo 3 or later with Incubation? If so, how do you do it.

SINCE you're using Windows XP, you have to understand that 3dfx never made Windows XP drivers for the Voodoo3 and above. You have to use one of the third-party video drivers from a site like voodoofiles.com
http://www.voodoofiles.com/type.asp?cat_id=1

I believe most driver sets are now using GlideXP, the hacked Glide2x/3x Linux open-source drivers port to Windows XP.
http://www.users.on.net/triforce/glidexp/

I'm not sure which the current favorite third-party drivers are right now. It's not necessarily the most recently updated ones. You'd have to find the forums or something.

Is there any way to get Incubation working with OpenGLide?

Well, for an actual 3dfx card using actual Glide in Windows XP, maybe. I haven't tried it. But with the bugginess of these 3rd party drivers, you may even have better luck with a non-3dfx card running OpenGlide or eVoodoo. Or even a 3dfx card running a Glide wrapper like OpenGlide or eVoodoo. But if you have a 3dfx card, experiment with different drivers, different wrappers, etc. and give it a shot. And keep us posted - I don't think any of us (even Craig) has tried Incubation yet.

Do many Glide games not work with a Voodoo 3?

In Windows XP? I've heard of many problems.... and many successes... find a 3dfx forum like at Voodoofiles (http://voodoofiles.net/cgi-bin/new/ikonboard.cgi) or x3dfx (http://pub43.ezboard.com/bx3dfx) and ask around.

To Colin: It's completely natural that a Windows game that supports Glide for hardware-accelerated 3D rendering and DirectX for software rendering request to be restarted in DirectX mode if it can't detect a Voodoo card / Glide.

Oh, and using a Voodoo2 card in Windows XP is NOT going to solve your problems, AEV (if even possible).

I'm going to take this thread over to the OpenGlide forum.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 13, by AEV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My current video card is 4MB PCI S3 ViRGE GX/DX (still saving for that Radeon 9700 Pro) that I borrowed off a friend when my Voodoo 3 3000 died.

I tried eVoodoo 2 before when Incubation didn't work and still haven't had any success.

I've won an Ebay auction for a Voodoo 2 an should win an auction for the Incubation - The Wilderness Missions addon as well. Should have this stuff sometime next week.

To get Incubation running at all (software mode) in XP I had to use the Windows 98 compatability setting.

Thanks for the links as well, I was looking for stuff like those earlier today. I'll probably be running Incubation with the Voodoo 2 card in my 98SE partition, I had trouble using the Voodoo 3 in Windows 2000 let alone run a Voodoo 2 in XP.

I'll let you all know how I go anyway.

Thanks.

Reply 6 of 13, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

I'm not sure which the current favorite third-party drivers are right now. It's not necessarily the most recently updated ones.

From what I've recently heard, the latest drivers from 3dhq (formerly 3dfx Underground) have proved themselves really efficient for all APIs - Glide, D3D and OGL. I wouldn't dare to say they are 'modern' drivers yet, but they have quite a good reputation. I didn't test them though -- my Voodoo 3 has been sitting in my Amiga tower for quite some time now 😜

Reply 9 of 13, by Fisu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wrote solution for how to get Incubation to work with glide wrapper here (continue reading the latter posts too in the thread): http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?f … geid=1030791732

I actually got myself Voodoo1 from an old computer to play I-war and perhaps Incubation with it, but there's no working voodoo1 drivers for WXP 🙁

Reply 11 of 13, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The link works fine under Mozilla Firefox.

Basically, all he says is to right click the Incubation.exe, and select Properties, then run the program in Win95 mode, which makes sense.

It works well under dgvoodoo, as I tried it a few weeks ago.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 12 of 13, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Note: This should work with any wrapper, including OpenGlide, dgVoodoo, Zeckensack's and eVoodoo. Not sure if it DOES, though.

Repost:

Evoodoo 3DFX wrapper works with incubation by Tuomas Tonteri (tuomas.t@kolumbus.fi) You can get it from here: http://evoodoo.emu […]
Show full quote

Evoodoo 3DFX wrapper works with incubation
by Tuomas Tonteri (tuomas.t@kolumbus.fi)
You can get it from here: http://evoodoo.emulation64.com/us/home.html
I think you also need the ENG3DFX.DLL patch.

But as usual there's one problem: game renders really fast and nicely, but mouse moves like 0.2fps If someone comes up with solutions I'd love to hear it.

-------------------------------------

mouse works too!
To fix slow mouse under windows XP just run incubation.exe in windows95 comp. mode. (right click on the exec and you can choose it there)

One fully working 3d accelerated incubation on modern computers!

-------------------------------------

Do this
First of all try to download this: http://billsworkshop.com/banshee/util/b_incub.zip and place it in incubation folder overwriting the old .dll.

Then use the Evoodoo configuration program to select 16bit colours, 32-bit doesn't work. Also there you can select fullscreen mode. Should work now. If mouse is slow use the solution in earlier message.

[/quote]

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto