VOGONS

First post, by philmac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been building a system recently out of spares that could act as multiple boot (Win98, WinXP and possibly Win7).

At the moment the build looks like this:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Asus K8V SE Deluxe (AGP 8X, PCI, SATA, IDE, LAN, 1394, RAID)
2Gb RAM
2 x 160Gb IDE (for Win98)
1 x 500GB SATA (for WinXP)
1 x 1TB SSD (for Win7)
Radeon X800 XT PE
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS.

I've also got an 8Mb 3DFX Voodoo2 going spare from another system, and was thinking about fitting this in order to run native Glide on the 3DFX, and D3D/OpenGL on the ATI card under Win98.

I've read on other threads on here that the 3DFX cards (both Voodoo2 and 3) naturally run hot, and mixed/unconfirmed reports that running them on fast systems of a similar spec can result in the card producing more heat than normal. I don't want to torch a card in working order just to get Glide, so was wondering if anyone else had tried this (with or without success) and if they fitted any additional cooling? Would underclocking the system help (as the Athlon 64 is complete overkill anyway), or do these cards just run naturally hot and there's nothing I can do apart from add heatsinks and keep a good airflow running?

I'm not dead-set on getting it all working, it's a nice-to-have rather than a must (I already have a PII-based system with a Voodoo3). I don't think I want to shell out the money for a Voodoo4/5 to run in this rig either.

I've got everything fitted in a full-size NZXT Phantom ATX case, which has a 5-channel fan controller (3 x 200mm fans, 2x120mm fans), and I'm running it with the configuration shown.

IMG_3640.JPG
Filename
IMG_3640.JPG
File size
1.55 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_3641.JPG
Filename
IMG_3641.JPG
File size
1.38 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Advice or thoughts welcome (even if it's a don't do it) 😀

Reply 1 of 3, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

wouldn't do it personally, but just because i don't see the appeal, more than anything. regarding heat, i do think the decision to ship voodoo2 without any cooling and voodoo3 with passive cooling was questionable, and pii 300 was the fastest cpu on the market when voodoo2 launched... of course it's going to run even hotter when being fed more data by a much faster CPU. using a fan on these is a good idea on any setup seeing the way prices have been increasing.

Reply 2 of 3, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just use 2x140mm side-panel mounted fans to cool down the entire PCI bay, and my v2SLI has not skipped a beat for years. Being fed by a Via C3 1Ghz that I often run at 1.1ghz. Currently playing Q2 on them.