VOGONS

First post, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sooo, I am just starting back at a run through of the EGA QFG1 (which is from a collection CD copy I got in the 90s)

I ran out of save games, but it refuses to save to another location. I tried creating a new directory on the same disk (in a subdirectory of QG1) and I also tried mounting an arbitrary other drive and it says the disk is full.

I knows it's seeing the filesystem because if I input a directory that doesn't exist, it tells me so.

Perhaps it's the savegame directory file that's screwing me up? If I had an empty directory file in the new location, maybe it would work? Then again, it should require that if I put a real disk in because it would be blank...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Reply 4 of 16, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hmmm. that's a thought.

although, it's also giving me the same error when I try to save to a subdirectory of the qg1 directory. it should have permission to save there. and it's all inside of my /home folder which should be ok. i think

Reply 7 of 16, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok. Thanks. I'll try that. I understand folder properties (chown) and all that, but I'm still noob when it comes to implementation. I think I can do it from inside midnight commander.

Also, sorry about putting the question in the wrong category! Thanks for moving it. 😀

Reply 8 of 16, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Your directory should have something like this for the permissions:
drwxrwxr-x

It could be a bit more restrictive, assuming your the owner, than even this will work:
drwx------

In any case, dosbox, try to do the following:

echo hello > c:\dir\to\game\test.txt

And see if you get an error, and if the file is created.

Reply 9 of 16, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It prints "hello" in the console and there is no error, but I don't see the file anywhere. I assume this would create a directory called \dir\to\game in the file location that I mounted as "c:"?

Maybe it's because I don't have a real "c" because this is linux.

Reply 10 of 16, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
7F20 wrote on 2020-06-28, 17:53:

It prints "hello" in the console and there is no error, but I don't see the file anywhere. I assume this would create a directory called \dir\to\game in the file location that I mounted as "c:"?

Maybe it's because I don't have a real "c" because this is linux.

No.... it will NOT create a directory. It will create a file test.txt in a fictitious directory structure, that you where meant to replace with your own. If the directory does not exist it will not create the file.

And this has nothing to do with Linux not having a C: drive either. What is your MOUNT command in DOSBox, and what is the path to the game?

Reply 11 of 16, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i was just thinking of this game just a moment ago; i remember staying up all night long playing this game when i slept over at my friends house back in 1990 or 1991 🤣

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 12 of 16, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
_Rob wrote on 2020-06-29, 05:29:

No.... it will NOT create a directory. It will create a file test.txt in a fictitious directory structure, that you where meant to replace with your own. If the directory does not exist it will not create the file.

And this has nothing to do with Linux not having a C: drive either. What is your MOUNT command in DOSBox, and what is the path to the game?

mount c \home\pi\GAMES\

\home\pi\GAMES\QG1

Ok, so I was meant to first create a subdirectory and then print to it. I understand. (facepalm)

Thanks

(meanwhile, I completed the game. turns out it wasn't nearly as long of a game as I remember)

Reply 13 of 16, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So this should work in DOSBox, assuming you can create files in the QG1 directory:

echo hello > C:\QG1\test.txt

And you can try the same thing from the Linux terminal:

echo hello > /home/pi/GAMES/QG1/test2.txt

Also your mixing up UNIX and DOS path slashes. UNIX (and by extension Linux) expects forward slashes (/) as path separators, while DOS (and by extension Windows) expects back slashes (\).

Potentially confusing: When using the MOUNT, IMGMOUNT or BOOT commands in DOSBox, your meant to use the HOST OS (Linux in your case) paths and slashes. But with other DOSBox commands, your meant to use back slashes like in regular DOS.

Reply 14 of 16, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
_Rob wrote on 2020-06-29, 14:04:

Potentially confusing: When using the MOUNT, IMGMOUNT or BOOT commands in DOSBox, your meant to use the HOST OS (Linux in your case) paths and slashes. But with other DOSBox commands, your meant to use back slashes like in regular DOS.

Which is why I've never been able to figure out which slash I'm supposed to be using just through regular usage!

Thanks for that. 😀
I'll give those other commands a try today.

Reply 16 of 16, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2020-07-01, 09:25:

Windows also accepts forward slashes.
DOS doesn't.

That is a more recent windows development, and I did not want to muddle things further.