VOGONS

Reply 40 of 56, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've ended up with a lot more stuff since last year. I missed out on exploiting Weirdstuff Warehouse when they were still around (and in hindsight I think I missed out on asking for deals on buying larger lots of stuff rather than one or two things here and there over many months ... and didn't think of setting up an ebay store or something back then for testing/reparing as-is stuff well beyond my own wants/needs).

Aaand I missed out on someone local who's here on vogons who lost storage space and offered to give away a chunk of their collection. (I was distracted by life-stuff at the time, and wasn't active on the forums)

So I've been getting into ebay hunting and might go beyond that at some point (maybe road-trips to recyclers/warehouses elsewhere, but ... maybe not) and did the scrap-lot buying thing for a while, but I've got more than I can currently work through testing and repairing, and haven't gotten organized enough to sell yet, so it's somewehre between junk-investment and collection/toys and ... mess I need to organize and store properly rather than in stacked boxes.

Actually, electronics/CB radio oriented fleamarkets and swapmeets would probably be a better target (more realistic/sane) in the Santa Clara valley region than recyclers, I think. (I don't think there's any weirdstuff style recyclers with as-is/junk sale stuff around anymore)

And since I'm planning on eventually selling off most of that stuff, I probably shouldn't count it as a collection. There's a few things in there that I'll likely keep and a lot I bought with the intention of getting some neat experience and benchmark results out of before parting with them.

In any case, I went from previously having 1 286-20 board (an PCChips M205, but Triple D branded BIOS and no markings on the board, plus non-remarked Citygate D60 chipset) and otherwise all Super 7, 370, Slot 1, and newer stuff (and most of that old family hardware we'd kept in storage: including retired AthlonXP boards). Also all mostly in non-system (just boards/parts in storage or rotated into use, or on test bench-ish set-ups) as, even with our old systems, we'd re-used cases through upgrade after upgrade, including one baby AT case and one full AT clone/workstation tower. (sadly the latter got recycled/junked back when it wasn't worth much or collectable ... early 2000s)

Oh and the most exotic/old thing being a complete, functional TRS-80 model 16 with single integrated 8" drive and a huge library of old software. (Dad had used it for a small business in the early 80s and probably for some other things shortly after, when he started working for Metacomco ... he was doing both Z80 and 68000 work with them, back in the early Amiga, ST, and Sinclair Z80 and 68008 days, so it might've come in handy there, but I know he also typically had work-computers on loan for most of his work, some of which he kept ... wish I still had his Integrated Solutions marked keyboard, but at least I've got a really nice Silitek one with white alps switches and a few others)

I picked up 4 1998-2001 era pre-built ATX and micro ATX Slot 1 and socket 370 machines at a garage sale 'for free' bundled with an LGA1155 (or 56, I forget) based Lenovo all-in-one Dad wanted. (not free since he made me go 50/50 on that buy-in) But that was around 2014, and right before I got too distracted by things to do much with, so there're still mostly as-is, aside from the video cards I've borrowed (Rage XL and S3 Savage, both AGP) and used in my P5A-B for a while.

But I've got a few dozen Socket 7, 5, 3, 4 (all non-working, 2 possibly repairable) Batman Returns boards, mostly AT, but a few ATX and micro ATX. And several 286 boards in various stages of disrepair (or fully intact, but non-posting currently), and 3 Turbo XT clone boards, all baby XT sized late gen stuff and I need to burn a new BIOS as 2 nearly identical Acer based boards are sharing one right now. (or would, but one had a tantalum cap explode when I powered it on, so I need to fix that ... and yes, I'm positive I had the AT power connectors in the right order, I've gotten really paranoid about that and started taping the cables together to make it really difficult to mis-connect)

The third is also working, but is a really tiny Hedaka Turbo XT board that apparently uses 4-bit RAM (allows RAM expansion in individual 256kx4-bit increments and/or via 4 1Mx1-bit chips, and appears to have one or two 8-bit bus latches for the CPU to work with that ... it came with FPM CMOS DRAM too, so might do something weird like page-mode burst reads to keep wait-states reasonable for such an odd arrangement)
HED-918, Citygate D20 chipset, 640kB. (supports a max of 5x 256kx4-bit DRAMs or 4x 1Mx1-bit + 1x 256kx4-bit DRAMs, so no UMA support, just straight 640k base memory)

I put 16 MHz NEC V20s in the two working boards (given they're cheap and readily available from a few chinese sellers, though often by the parts number and not with V20 mentioned), and all seem to be fine with the CMOS chip. I believe some older boards with lots of TTL chips onboard don't like CMOS CPUs and/or CMOS RAM. It's apparently a problem on some Atari ST models/revisions too, though isn't always age-consistent. (depends on the specific TTL chip models/variants/vendors used among other things ... annoying for folks trying to do overclocks and upgrade mods, though: weirder, CMOS 68ks 'fix' the 'buggy' DMA chips on some STF or STE models on top of potentially causing other problems ... it's a confusing mess for tweaking, or a craps-shoot if you don't sort through the confusion)

I'm planning on trying overclocking at some point, but not until after getting useable hard drives or flash drives on the XT bus. (be it XTIDE bsed or SCSI or MFM ... I have a fair bit of old SCSI stuff around that was Dad's, including some XT clone era stuff: also a loose 8 MHz V20 and AMD 8086 he pulled from something at some point ... and a box full of 286 chipset socket pulls and some BIOSs, but no boards he saved ... but I think a full set of C&T chips with 20 MHz ratings stamped on them, if I ever find a compatible board)

Oh and among other things, I did get a working, fairly nicely bundled FIC VA503+ late last year which I'm planning to keep. (typical 1MB cache variation) It might end up my main retro rig, possibly displacing my P5A-B, but not sure yet, it's not currently installed in a system though.

I was also hoping to try out some 50 ns 32MB EDO SIMMs (4x of them) in it to compare with SDRAM speed at 100 MHz FSB (not BEDO, but should be stable at 100 MHz with 5-2-2-2 timing), but I'm not sure where it made off to. I'd loaned it to apolloboy at some point, and thought I got them back after his HX board died, and I really doubt he accidentially sold them off with a later S7 board he'd been using. (I think that was VX or TX based anyway, and he just used some SDRAM that was on hand)

It was neat IBM branded stuff with holographic shiny mylar style sticker markings, old stuff Dad probably saved from work.

That reminds me, I also have a Compaq workstation from around 2000 that originally came from IBM or Unison Systems (employee dumpster dive find). RDRAM based coppermine 733 slot 1 machine, upgraded to 640 MB (128MB + 512MB) for a build Dad made for my grandpa as XP SP3 was not happy with 256MB. (it replaced a Packard Bell multimedia PC from somewhere in the mid/late 90s, probably pentium 1 based ... maybe K6-2, but I think that just got junked or donated)

And my original Baby AT cased, frankenstein rig that saw many upgrades (originally a 486DX4 with CD-ROM drive and grayscale industrial VGA monitor with a big crack in the vents in the back) from when Dad first built it in 1993/1994. For the last 15-ish years it's been a diagnostic rig in the garage for Dad's race Fiero (or was for the last 5 years he raced, and briefly for my '85, but then sat on the side with increasingly dusty piles of junk around it's cheap rolling desk). It should still work and doesn't seem to have gotten any corrosion or too much overheating in there, and booted up Windows 2000 fine the last few times I tried ... but that was around 7 years ago.

complete machine with both IDE and SCSI drives in an FIC VA-503A motherboard, I believe 512k cache (one empty cache chip spot on the board), probably 256 MB of SDRAM, a K6-2 550 set to 5x100 MHz and 2.3V, presumably for stability.
And uh, right: a PCI 8MB Rage Pro along with a DVD or DVD-R drive and 3.5" floppy drive ... and using the onboard VIA 686A southbridge sound.

I want to say that board replaced a 503+ but may have been a non-super 7 board (Dad got that PCI Rage Pro for some reason, though it might have been for PCI stability or a sale price) and a K6-2/300 along with DVD-ROM drive back in 1998 and had hacked together beta multimedia DVD Video playback drivers and player (no idea what brand that was, but avoided annoying licensing or copy protection issues, and more importantly: just WORKED well with the K6-2 and Rage Pro PCI ... and beta DVD acceleration drivers for the Rage Pro, since ATi only officially supported the AGP version for DVD).

Composite + S-video output model, too, and it got used as an HTPC via some extension A/V cables to our TV/surround sound set-up. (also used for some PC gaming at 480i/scaled to TV out, mostly graphic adventures ... Myst and Return to Zork included, also some Incoming)

Err, but yeah, a bunch of stuff, I'll probably add some pics later ... but uh, probably not of the somewhat shamefull, disorganized mess I've got. (not at risk of damage or such ... or in some damp/leaky or rat-infested shed, but just uh ... not nice or practical)

Not all in ESD bags, but packed with paper other than that for the most part. Some of Dad's stuff is still as he packed it away in Unison Systems doccument envelopes in leu of anti-static bags, and in various boxes semi-organized.

And no way I could ever have room for even the hardware we had up to a year ago (not recent ebay stuff) if it all had cases and complete systems built around it. It's all stuff that's been rotated through upgrade over the years, build after build. Dad just didn't save any of the motherboards prior to Socket 7. (I/O, sound, video, and drive controller boards, yes, and socket pulls, but no boards I've found)
Not counting the TRS-80 of course.

And the TRS-80 Model 2 and Model 16 upgrade of that have next to zero game support, so not so fun for that side of tinkering or retro tech stuff. One or two of the Zork games and some other text adventures were ported to the Model 2 (not compatible with the Model 1, 3, etc) and any games made for or compatible with Xenix could also run on it, but not much beyond that. Granted, it'd need to be on 8" floppy or ... one of the external drive interfaces our machine has. (it might have SCSI ... and we have several old external SCSI drive bays for things)

Oh, and it has the anti-glare screen filter intact on it. The top of the case got a small gash/scrape that took off the silver paint, but otherwise it's fine (and that happened less than 10 years ago when we were closing out a storage unit it was in).

We had a pair of original Radio Shack branded surge protectors, extruded aluminum things, one fused the other with a breaker, but I dontated them to my middle school back in 2001. (we'd been using them, but they freaked out at standby trickle powers on modern-for-the-time systems ... and they'd have been great for wall wort power bricks of game consoles too, but I didn't think of that at the time and didn't have any TV or gaming set up in my bedroom, PC aside ... or uh, did briefly have an Atari VCS in there with a 1966 GE Portacolor, but that's another story)

Reply 41 of 56, by varrol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I started to buy retro stuff like a year ago - before I usually sold what I got - especially missing ASUS TUSL2-C (still got the box) as well as AOpen AX6B and AX6BC (got AX6B+ though).

Right now: AOpen AX6B+, Asus Cubx-e, Asus P3B-F (2x), Asus P5A, AOpen Ax59pro (dead), Dell 2H240 (OptiPlex GX150), Abit IP-35 (that is my latest desktop actually). I'll probably get P4 board with DDR, maybe Athlon XP (I had Asus A7N8X which I really liked). Will see.

But I understand some of you having hundreds of them - there were times when I got crazy with audio hardware and got around on hundred of amplifiers, cdplayers, tuners etc... - and they are bigger than motherboards.

AOpen AX6B+ | P3 1G | 1GB ECC REG | FX5200 | CT4500
AOpen AX59pro | K6-2 450M | 256MB | Rage 128
Asus CUBX-E | P3 1G | 512MB | GF4 TI4200 | YMF719E-S
Asus P3B-F | P3 933M | 384MB | Radeon 9200 | CT4520
Asus P5A | P55C 200M | 256MB | Riva TNT | CT3600

Reply 42 of 56, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
varrol wrote on 2020-04-01, 18:19:

I started to buy retro stuff like a year ago - before I usually sold what I got - especially missing ASUS TUSL2-C (still got the box) as well as AOpen AX6B and AX6BC (got AX6B+ though).

Right now: AOpen AX6B+, Asus Cubx-e, Asus P3B-F (2x), Asus P5A, AOpen Ax59pro (dead), Dell 2H240 (OptiPlex GX150), Abit IP-35 (that is my latest desktop actually). I'll probably get P4 board with DDR, maybe Athlon XP (I had Asus A7N8X which I really liked). Will see.

But I understand some of you having hundreds of them - there were times when I got crazy with audio hardware and got around on hundred of amplifiers, cdplayers, tuners etc... - and they are bigger than motherboards.

🤣 I do not have hundreds but have read that some here most likely do (though not sure they all work).
Ended up getting a few more boards in the last few weeks, mostly in complete or semi-complete machines, so not adding them to my good parts: motherboard list

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 43 of 56, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You all have a ton a boards heh... I currently only have 5.

- Asus ISA 486SV2
- Asus TX97-E
- Asus VX97-E
- Asus CUVX-L
- Asus P2B-F

Last edited by dave343 on 2020-05-01, 03:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 44 of 56, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2 x Biostar M6TBD
1 x Asus P3B-F
1 x Ipox 3ETI23
1 x Shuttle 440LX board
1 or 2 Asus Via 694 based boards

I believe in getting spare parts while they are still available/affordable .

Reply 45 of 56, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since my March post my collection gained: Intel D865PD w/2.93Ghz soc478, DFI G686IPA soc8 w/P.Pro 200-1Mb, Octek Fox M 286-16Mhz, and a few newer ones not vintage. Just about hit my limit and will focus on fixing some of the broken stuff....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 46 of 56, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got around 40 or so socket 3 boards alone and probably around 20 socket 7 boards.

I've got a few Slot-A boards and a some Socket A boards.. probably 15 total combine if I remember correctly but it may be higher.

Have a few Socket 370 boards and a fair number of Slot-1 boards as well.

Only have a few XT and 2 286 boards with another 286 board on the way.

Pretty sure I don;t have any Socket 423 boards. I have a few Socket 478 boards.

I also have a bunch of SBCc and backplanes as well as rack mount cases to build what I want. Everything from 386 to Pentium IV. I also have a couple newer SBCs just because I got them for very cheap.

I have a decent amount of newer-ish stuff as well.

Working on getting ready to test stuff and sell a lot and possibly pass a few things on to other people.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 47 of 56, by grjr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well my "collection" is not as large as some here so I can count the motherboards I have and actually list them all here. All my systems work (if they didn't work before I repaired them) and I have most all the additional hardware to build them up (CPUs,HSFs,RAM,GPU, SND,PSU). Most spend their time in antistatic bags though because I don't have the space to have each one in it's own case (I don't have cases for all of them). I keep hard disk images of operating systems for my "vintage" systems so I can put one together with a random HDD and load up a fully working system from DVD without much fuss. Unfortunately I got rid of all my oldest systems about 8 years ago in a move because at the time I rarely would touch them and they weren't worth much at the time (what a mistake that was). I mainly wish I hadn't gotten rid of my old Packard Bell 286 12MHz system and my VIC20. Many systems have passed through my hands over the years, wish I hadn't gotten rid of so much good stuff. Well here's what I have currently:

16 total, not counting any Rasberry Pi's I have kicking around doing various tasks

Slot 1
C400 Diamond/Micronics

Socket 370
815E Pro MSI

Socket 478
GA-8I848P-L Gigabyte

Socket 479
B130 Dell Laptop

Socket A
MS-6330 MSI (Gateway)
GA-7ZXE Gigabyte
A7M266 Asus
8KHA+ Epox

Socket 939
KN1 Lite ECS
6150K8MA-8EKRS Foxconn/Winfast

Socket FS1
L755D-S5218 Toshiba Laptop

BGA FT1
APXD1-DM Pegatron (HP)

Socket AM1
GA-AM1M-S2H Gigabyte
AM1H-ITX ASrock

Socket AM3
NF980-G65 MSI

Socket AM3+
GA-990FXA-UD3 Gigabyte

Reply 48 of 56, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guess around 16 albeit the ones I do care for are maybe 7(late 486 plus one SiS501 based).
Would love to have all late era 486 boards(all revisions) and from each one multiple units - especially LS486E, GA-486AM/S and HOT433.

Reply 49 of 56, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have about 48 motherboards almost all are in systems I can easily boot, listing them all would be a tedious if I did not have a spreadsheet 😀

The oldest is Socket 7, when possible they run Windows 2003 Enterprise Server or later 😀, but a few can only manage NT4 or W2K, most are multi-boot 😀 and a few also have Windows 98SE or Me.

Attachments

• Systems.png
    Filename
    Systems.png
    File size
    164.74 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    red-ray's systems
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 52 of 56, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The question should be “how many of your motherboards work”
Because if you buy old used motherboards on eBay there is most like something wrong with it.
So you should expect to do some soldering and bios fix.

You definitely need a work bench and diagnostic and test tools.

1) Multimeter
2) Soldering iron
3) eprom programmer

Reply 54 of 56, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
martin_boro wrote on 2020-06-29, 17:53:

I am at 184 motherboards at the moment. Most of them work, some require some work.

WOW, That is a lot of boards ! I only list those that will successfully fully boot and pass a few tests, have a stack that does not pass so never include them in my "working board list". You have like 2X what I have including bad boards. Where do you store them ? 🤣

Reply 55 of 56, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Let me think

A FIC PA-2013,HP Vectra VLi8 NLX,Gateway WS440BX,Asus P3C-E,Dell GX-150,Dell Dimension 8200,Dell Dimension 4600,Shuttle AK32V,Gigabyte 7IXE4,Biostar KX133 Slot A,Abit KW7,Asus A7N266-VM,MSI K8N NEO4-F,Asus SK8V,Asus M2A-VM,2 XFX Nforce 730i,EVGA 790i FTW,Asus P6T,Asus P8Z68-V Pro, Asus P9X79 Pro, Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0, Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H B3, Asus Sabertooth X79, Asus Maximus VII Gene,AsRock Z97 Extreme4,Asus Maximus XI Hero, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master,EVGA Z370 Micro, EVGA Z390 FTW,MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon,MSI X370 XPower Gaming Titanium,MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC,Gigabyte B450i Aorus Pro Wifi,Asus Strix B450-I.

Last edited by mastergamma12 on 2020-07-09, 23:17. Edited 1 time in total.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 56 of 56, by martin_boro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-06-30, 01:48:
martin_boro wrote on 2020-06-29, 17:53:

I am at 184 motherboards at the moment. Most of them work, some require some work.

WOW, That is a lot of boards ! I only list those that will successfully fully boot and pass a few tests, have a stack that does not pass so never include them in my "working board list". You have like 2X what I have including bad boards. Where do you store them ? 🤣

The storage is not really much of a issue (yet 😀 ).
I buy 30x40cm ESD bags from eBay, pack each board individually and store them in these bad boys.
The medium one fits about 6 to 8 narrower ATX boards (think Asus P2B) and the big one fits about 8 to 10 normal width boards. And they are pretty cheap and super stackable.